Deer in the headlights look.....

While cruising around a local State Park yesterday, on my Rambler, I ran across no less than 16 individuals, in separate groups of two or three, who gave me the "Deer in the headlights" look as I approached.

You could see that they were curious about this low slung creature who was approaching them at the blistering speed of 8.5 mph, my twin visibility flags waving in the air.

I should have carried a GoPro camera on my trike to capture the wonderment in their faces.

These 16 individuals, who understandably gave me the "Deer in the Headlights" look..... were indeed, Florida White Tail deer, feeding on the side of the road, escaping local flooding due to a lot of rain around here (Western Florida).

They made no attempt to run, but instead perked up their ears and watched as I slowly passed on by.

Wonderful day.

Comments

• Cows luv trikes too. More so when playing didgeridoo music.
  • I only see dogs behind fences on my rides. Thank goodness! We talk to each other. I hear there is a black bear turning over trash cans looking for food here in the Florida panhandle. They are often seen further east but not on the peninsula where I live.
  • I am beginning to see more and more trikes on the Loop Trail System surrounding Tucson, AZ. Usually they are solo riders with an occasional couple or a tandem trike.

Since the trails are near the banks of our rivers (Pantano, Rillito, Santa Cruz, etc) I am seeing a lot of wildlife: Doves, Gambel's Quail, Cactus Wrens, Roadrunners, a Cooper's Hawk, various kinds of lizards, lots of ground squirrels, a Bobcat, Wiley Coyote and a rattlesnake (not necessarily in that order).

With the heat of the day I ride early, early of a morning while it's cool which is when the wildlife is out and about. Riding here is a study in nature. As the nights get cooler is when the slithery things will come out onto the warm concrete/pavement more often. I'll be a little more diligent. Lizards also like the warmth, but you don't have to worry about running over them because they are f-a-s-t and have lightning reflexes. ;)
  • TrikesterHal, I had visited Tucson several times and I never saw rivers. I was shocked when I got there in May and it had actually just rained. I've never seen rain there either.

I am so glad you are enjoying the view out there. My son and daughter-in-law are very glad they are now here.
  • LOVE Tuscon!
    The All Souls Procession is something everyone should do once in their lifetime.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Yes Chonk, cultural activities abound here in the Old Pueblo. Returning here in retirement after being gone the last 30 years is... undescribable. Bring a trike and ride with me in the 37 miler in El Tour de Tucson this November.
  • Florida_bound, you've not been here during monsoon season. Thunderstorms cook up suddenly, it pours down rain, and those riverbeds and streams become raging torrents in no time washing away foolish people that think they can drive or wade across. In twenty-four hours the riverbed may again look dry. It's deceptive.

Right now my gravel yard is saturated with weeds! Shrubs and cacti are blooming. The Sonoran Desert is green. The monsoon season will abate in late September and my weeds will die! Die weeds, die! (Sorry, got carried away). I love it because I don't have to mow gravel.

Right now is an important yearly harvest. Prickly Pear cactus apples are ripe and it's time to pick. They're everywhere in great abundance. You cook them, strain them through cheesecloth and make prickly pear jelly! Yummo.

The Sonoran Desert is a unique climate as deserts go. I grew up here, I love it here, and Saguaro cactus juice flows in my veins...
  • TrikesterHal,
    Careful, flip that Dumont over into a cactus patch and juice will be running out of your veins. Lol
    Nice to see you on the forum again.
  • edited August 2017
    Moved this one to the "Do you stop during your ride" thread. Oops, sorry folks.
  • hehe, @TrikesterHal I think you posted this in the wrong thread. This is the "Deer in the Headlights" thread. But, still, a good read.
  • Elrique64, I shore did! It's easy to get off track isn't it? ;)
  • edited August 2017
    I think I'll just cut and copy most of this to the correct thread... I was answering a humorous snippet from squirrelpie0. Done deal...
  • Maybe it was a "deer in the headlights moment" (or a senior moment) Hal!

I think it was the trepidation of seeing a rattlesnake on the path moment, or maybe it could have been a senior moment... I'm confused. ;)

I think it was the trepidation of seeing a rattlesnake on the path moment, or maybe it could have been a senior moment... I'm confused. ;)

If only snakes could announce their presence a little sooner, rattlesnakes try.
  • When there is a pile-up on the trail it usually means rattler or a moose.
  • I thought the same one time while riding on the local MuPs. Thought we had a snake or deer and people were watching it. I couldn't have been MORE WRONG had I tried. Momma skunk and her 4 young'ins out for a stroll on the paved trail. And no one had the gumption to try shooing her off it.

Funny thing is, people were getting far closer to it than I ever would have. And everyone had a cell phone out taking pics or movies.
  • I would be going the opposite direction as fast as I could. Their spray goes pretty far and lasts way too long.
  • Amazing, that's one thing I haven't seen on the trails even though we have skunks in AZ. When I was in elementary school there was a man from the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum who to used to bring animals to the school. There was always a skunk named "Chlorophyll". :)
  • Our now deceased dog had two skunk encounters, both very unpleasant. Even after the skunk solution baths.
  • My dad always told me to never get in a p#ssing contest with a skunk. He was very wise. :)