Do You Stop During a Ride?

I had never done this until today we had 3 whole hours with 0% chance of rain. That doesn't happen often in the summer here. I started a little earlier but I circle a high school on my normal route and there were way too many students rushing to school in their cars. It was dangerous! I stopped for an hour and felt my knees stiffening up while I was stopped. However, when I got back on the trike, they worked fine. I only had to ride 2 miles to get home. I put ice packs on them and they feel normal now. We'll see how they feel in the morning.

How does it affect you?

Comments

• No issues. Either put the legs down or go for a short walk.

Then too am in my mid-50's although overweight. Got heavy care giving for both parents and thought the weight would of went away by now. :\
  • I do stop. Usually for an ice cream. Great to have a destination....and reward.
  • edited August 24
    I usually stop at least once, for a beer and a bite.

And for a stretch and un-beering... :)

And 4 days running at under 220#. This is a long sight lower than the 285#+ I was at 2 years ago. So the beer is definitely a reward, IMO. :)
  • Have a background of 34 years bike racing and just plain long distance riding. But had femur replaced with a titanium bar in rt. thigh in DEC. In addition to having the rt knee replaced in Oct last year. So my whole rt leg is VERY weak. Just got my RAT end of May and getting used to it and building my leg. Am also overweight so on some climbs I stop for a minute or two to rest catch my breath and then continue. Just working on building my leg strength back and losing weight.

Could be your knees just cooled down too much.
  • considering recent surgery might want to discuss this with your orthopod.

possibly the effect of too high a level of repetitive stress on the knees causing fluid to accumulate in the joint. pain and knee swelling can follow depending on amount of stress and duration.

one of nature's little warning signs. aspirin may be the better over-the-counter since it dilates the vessels and aids in fluid drainage. ice packs stop the swelling, capsaicin promotes drainage. laying back in the recliner with feet elevated promotes drainage.

so far, havent seen any discussion on the virtue of electric assist in reducing knee stress. same thing, almost no discussion of using a recumbent as a rehab device. older folks encountering knee pain turning the pedals [things dont work as good as younger days] could benefit greatly by using electric assist while the under-60 younguns might avoid the problem entirely using assist.
  • edited August 24
    Some of our grades are not very long.

At night I can usually take the one closest to home: it's a berm that leans left some, as it graduates from 3% to 9% I can about hold it in 3rd or 2nd, but it's that last hump gets steeper before it lessens out. That part gets me most every time in daylight - yet at night I can usually take it.

Used to bug me about stopping. Anymore it's something one has to do. I stop before taking a long or semi-steep climbs or crossing the Snake River bridge, then plod along in 2nd or 3rd if I can. Tried spinning, pushing and pulling at same time, but that has worn me out faster than plodding along. Great exercise though!

Wished I knew someone adept enough to help me design a way to put Biopace gears on the front end of a Rover i8. Too many nay sayers. Need an LBS that's willing to try, has some skills, and doesn't wimp-out over the idea. I think Biopace would work, I used a set for 20+ years on a Rockhopper MTB.

We do have a few steep hills if you go out of your way to find them.
  • That idea of stopping for ice cream is a good one. I'm using feeling the affects of my blood sugar dropping and ice cream would quickly raise it. Beer dehydrates you so that's not a good choice.

The knees are feeling good this morning. No pain just a little tightness. I do need to see the orthopedic doctor as I'm having pain in the inner lower part of my right knee. This is a new pain from what caused the knee replacements. I may have irritated a tendon. But, surprisingly, there is no pain while riding. Do you think the euphoria of riding blocks out all pain? I'll take it!
  • Elrique64 wrote: »
    I usually stop at least once, for a beer and a bite.

And for a stretch and un-beering... :)

And 4 days running at under 220#. This is a long sight lower than the 285#+ I was at 2 years ago. So the beer is definitely a reward, IMO. :)
    :) That is me to a T...at the campground. Since I got my trike(summer this year), I am down from 267 to 237. Wife has lost 7(sorry, can't list her weight, I might burn if I did that!). Beer is always a just reward in my book.
  • euphoric weather should be arriving in these parts another 5 weeks or so. in the meantime, sunrise and after sundown riding will have to do.

question - is it possible your seat has slipped and your legs have become extended too much? had that happen a time or two with new pain under the kneecap.
  • JamesR wrote: »
    euphoric weather should be arriving in these parts another 5 weeks or so. in the meantime, sunrise and after sundown riding will have to do.

question - is it possible your seat has slipped and your legs have become extended too much? had that happen a time or two with new pain under the kneecap.

To set seat properly on any bike or trike, use your normal cycling shoes. Place the heel of your foot on the pedal at it's farthest extension, and your heel should just feather the pedal.
  • edited August 24
    Jamesr, it has been slipping back occasionally. I have stopped to adjust it. At least now I can get off the trike to do that! I need to move the U bolt up but it's really hot in the garage right now. Also, I'm considering pulling the boom in and opening the center joint some so the seat can sit further back. There is about 2 inches between the back of my knees and the cross bar. I would prefer as much room as possible between the front and back wheels for stability. I also need to be a little further away from the modified handlebars.
  • My knees tend to get stiff during the car ride home after a trike/bike ride. I agree on a well deserved reward after the ride, beer or ice cream.
  • I try to ride at least 15 miles every other day. With the AZ heat I will stop at least a couple of times to tinkle and re-saturate my neck gaiter (here in the dry climate it works like an evaporative cooler). I wet the gaiter and wear it around my neck. If I'm riding into the sun I pull it up over my nose and ears. It keeps me cool and protects me from the direct sun. Where the gaiter is bunched up at the base of my neck it feels nice and cool.

And sometime when I stop I'll eat a food bar of some kind and drink some water. Here in the heat it's very important to drink a lot of water. There are potty stops (with water fountains) along the trails that afford some shade.

I also like to stretch and walk around a bit to keep the circulation going in my feet. And, a break now and then, is just good for you. Often times I get to chat with someone.
  • I find that funny that I perspire so badly on the ride then at then end I'm sprinting to the restroom. Glad I'm not the only one. I have two of those neck wraps. My coworkers gave the to me when I retired. I tried one once at a baseball game and it did not see to make any difference to me. I'll to try it again.

Sounds like I do need to stop and have a snack. It will help balance my blood sugar and allow me to ride further on each trip.
  • I am powered by caffeine so stops are required, both to aquire said GO juice, and to release it from the holding tank.
  • I put Cliff bars in the back pack. Use Endurolytes Fizz in one water bottle to replenish electrolytes, got from a natural health food store. Other bottle with filtered water. Portable 'go food' when needed, so there's no bonking here unless it is dreadfully hot.
  • It seems I drink a lot of water during a day. But the last ride my right calf started to cramp. Have been carrying bananas now when I trike so maybe that will stop it.
  • It will depend on the ride I am doing. When I do the weekly Trek the Trials we stop halfway to let everyone catch up. Out riding by myself I will stop every 10 to 12 miles for a quick break. On event rides I will stop at the SAG stops, or like this weekend for the pub crawl make a stop at the pubs who are involved. I usually have a water bottle with Gatorade and have a camelbak bladder in my seat bag with water.
  • Finn58, I got a supplement that contains magnesium, calcium, zinc, and vitamin D that seems to help. I have had cramps in my calves since I was a kid.
  • I posted this note in the wrong thread so I moved it from there to here. Thanks to Elrique64 for quickly pointing out my error. As my old Drill Sergeant would say, "I stepped on my @#$%."

This original thread was about stopping during a ride and I will address that...

squirrelpie0, I'm painfully aware (no pun intended) of what would happen if I flipped the Dumont into a cactus patch. As a kid I rode my bike into a Palo Verde tree. Mom was not amused by the huge patch of blood on my pants leg.

Yes, I'm still around. It's taken a lot of work to get shifted from AR back to AZ. I've had to adjust to the changes in the area after so many years. What was once a minor two lane street is now a five lane street with a 45 mph speed limit. :# As I get situated I plan to begin adding to my blog once more. Mainly I'm waiting for cooler weather. I also want to learn how to deal with video now that I have a GoPro and a Cycliq Fly 12.

I'm about two miles from the house I grew up in and close to where I went to school. I'm close to my older brother and where my parents are interred. I'm even close to a small, old Dairy Queen (still run by the same family) where I got a free sundae if I had all As and Bs on my report card (in 2nd grade).

My biggest challenge was keeping DP (Deep Purple) from roasting in his storage shed. I had reflective white coating put on the roof, the inside insulated and finally my carport extended nine feet to cover the west side from the blistering afternoon sun.

Now I can move DP out, air the tires, stock the bags (extra water, food, etc) ride a mile and half on city streets and get onto the Loop Trail System. The trails here are exceptionally nice and wide with the exception of some potholes?! Yes, there are some places that form dips or creases in the pavement. Someone, maybe the county, has marked these places with bright yellow paint so you can straddle or go around them. Some areas are concrete and others are asphalt. The hot AZ eats pavement!

The trails here exist because of the flood control measures along the rivers and streambeds. My closest trail, the Rillito, runs along and above the riverbed (both sides). As you ride along, on one side is an open rail fence made of pipe. In places the drop off may be more than 30 feet down to the riverbed. On the other side is gravel with cacti, brush, or trees. Along some stretches running along the trail is a gravel path where I often see runners or dog walkers and maybe even a horse (watch your step when the chips are down).

Another nice feature is a system of trailheads where people park their cars, unload their bikes, enjoy a picnic table or a small park. Most of the trailheads include restroom facilities with fountains and even hot air dryers. The restroom stalls have 1/4 ton doors (seriously ;-) and stainless steel fixtures. These places are well maintained.

Also situated along the trail are parks with ball fields, basketball courts, dog parks and even one water park (various kinds of devices that spray water for kids). Every Sunday morning, year around, is a Farmer's Market on the trail and behind a local, small horse racing facility.

I have begun to stop more often to stretch, top of the water bottle, enjoy the flowers (monsoon season) and take a tinkle before riding on. I used to think about how many miles I could rack up when I rode, but I'm beginning to think about just enjoying the ride. I notice things, one example, a hummingbird hovering directly in my path early one morning. When I got a bit closer, and the sun was at a different angle, I could see the bird was hovering in a hovering cloud of gnats! She was enjoying a morning gnat buffet!

Theme of this thread, do I stop along the way when I ride? Yes, yes, yes. 'Nuff said. o:)
  • I noticed a lot of the trails running along roads seemed to be overgrown with shrubbery. Does anyone clean the trails up occasionally? My son lied southeast of the base and I saw a lot riders daily. Temps had not yet reached triple digits. I still prefer green landscape anytime.

Glad you are getting to spend time with your family. I tried that and it failed miserably. My son should be here next week and I'm trying to get my other son to join us for Christmas. That will be the first time we spend the holidays together since 2010. Family is everything!
  • I noticed a lot of the trails running along roads seemed to be overgrown with shrubbery. Does anyone clean the trails up occasionally? My son lied southeast of the base and I saw a lot riders daily. Temps had not yet reached triple digits. I still prefer green landscape anytime.

Glad you are getting to spend time with your family. I tried that and it failed miserably. My son should be here next week and I'm trying to get my other son to join us for Christmas. That will be the first time we spend the holidays together since 2010. Family is everything!

Trails in the Atlanta area, Big Creek. Silver Comet, are well kept up. People working on them every day.
  • We have trail rangers who volunteer to work a section of the trails here once a week. They also can report any concerns with the trails to the city information center to be passed on to the proper people. Plus the city crews are good at keeping the trails clear and maintained.
  • All volunteer workers on our trails. The system is a non profit. No city or county involvement
  • I try to ride at least 15 miles every other day. With the AZ heat I will stop at least a couple of times to tinkle and re-saturate my neck gaiter (here in the dry climate it works like an evaporative cooler). I wet the gaiter and wear it around my neck. If I'm riding into the sun I pull it up over my nose and ears. It keeps me cool and protects me from the direct sun. Where the gaiter is bunched up at the base of my neck it feels nice and cool.

And sometime when I stop I'll eat a food bar of some kind and drink some water. Here in the heat it's very important to drink a lot of water. There are potty stops (with water fountains) along the trails that afford some shade.

I also like to stretch and walk around a bit to keep the circulation going in my feet. And, a break now and then, is just good for you. Often times I get to chat with someone.

15 miles every other night is where we are out right now. Hoping to up to 20 by Halloween.
  • Wife and I have been crazy busy the last week and haven't had the time to peddle. The spot we have been using is 7 miles to a portajon. There we get up and walk around b4 the return. Other than that we just have to stop at
    intersections. I start out slower now and
    let the legs loosen up b4 picking up
    the pace. Knees are happier.
  • edited August 26
    Captainbob,
    At the risk of a topic diversion, last winter, my wife and I made two separate trips from Michigan to Georgia with the sole purpose of riding the Silver Comet Trail connecting to the Chief Ladiga Trail in Alabama. AWESOME TRAIL! The first trip (a long Thanksgiving weekend) we stayed in Rockmart, the second trip (the week between Christmas and New Years) we stayed in Cedartown. In different segments we covered the trail from the trailhead at Tucker Blvd all the way to Aniston AL. We so enjoyed the time spent on that beautiful trail that we plan to return, just haven't decided when. I highly recommend to anyone who has the opportunity to visit Georgia, set aside time to ride the Silver Comet. It is a true gem of a trail.

PS - Our stops are most generally dictated by the need to pee. :-). We then re-hydrate and are then, again, on our way.
  • Back on topic... Yep, I stop once in a while. Walk around, tighten a few bolts, stretch.
  • Back on topic... Yep, I stop once in a while. Walk around, tighten a few bolts, stretch.

Tighten a few bolts, huh? Did you used to ride a Harley Davidson? ;)
  • Maybe I need to stop more....people keep sayin I gotta few screws loose too! :D