Stiff steering, can't get steering post off.

Just bought a used rover that has real stiff steering. Saw prior discussion on new bearings etc. Well I can't get the right post to even come off. Built a gear puller, padded the contact points and applied pressure to top of post. Still won't drop out of the frame tube. Used PB blast, then 3in one oil, still no movement. I did get it to loosen up some but still not as smooth as left one

• Bushings is what you'll need. 2 left, 2 right. After changing out mine on the 2013 Rover, I can steer with 2 finger pressure.
  • I took a hammer n screwdriver to tap it free.
  • edited August 2017
    I posted what I did to get it loose a month or two ago, and it was deleted for some reason so I will post it again. I have a 7 year old Rover, and decided to replace the steering bushings as a preventative maintenace issue. Getting the axles free from the headset was no easy job, as you have discovered. I started by undoing one side of the tie rod. Then unscrewed the end caps on top of the steering arms, and loosened and removed the steering arms. Now I took a rubber mallet, and a piece of 2 x 4 and banged the top of the steering axle out of the headset. Once I got the top of the axle flush with the top of the headset, then I used the 2 x 4 and mallet to hit the bottom of the assembly out, until it finally came loose from the headset. This was not easy to do, and to do both sides it probably took 1/2 hour or more. I placed a wooden block under each sideof the front frame assembly to lift the wheel off the ground a bit.

Getting the bushings out of the headset, I used a piece of wooden dowel ( 3/8" I believe) and rubber mallet to knock out the old bushings.

Here are some threads on the same topic. On the last thread I explain how I adjusted the steering once I got everything back together again. If you have trouble inserting the steering axle back in the new bushings, you will probably have to get a 20mm ream and ream the new bushings, because they get compressed when you insert them in the headset, which I also used the rubber mallet to do. This makes them to tight, and the steering too stiff, unless they are reamed. If the steering axle easily slides in the new bushings, then they don't need to be reamed.