Old Path...heel slings

I am still riding my 5-6 year old Path almost daily. A few months ago my right foot slipped out of the Power Grip and I ran over it at speed...very painful. Last week my foot slipped out causing me to swerve but at least I didn't run over the foot again. Yesterday I removed the Power Grips and I installed JSRL Design foot slings. I rode with them the first time today and they will take a little getting used to. It looks like they will keep me from running over a foot in the future.

Comments

• Power grips are useless on a Trike for keeping your foot in place. You are lucky you haven't broken your leg.
  • Part of the problem was the tread on the soles of my TEVA sandals is getting worn.
  • rgfitz5280 wrote: »
    Part of the problem was the tread on the soles of my TEVA sandals is getting worn.

The main problem is that Power Grips are dangerous on trikes.
  • Be very cautious with those slings also.
  • I purchased a Terra Trike Traveler a little over a month ago, and use the Terra Trike heel straps supplied for about a week. They did the job of keeping my feet on the peddles. However, the were cumbersome too get in and out of. I then went to clip-less peddles and shoes with SPD clips. As far as I am concerned, they are the only way to go. I highly recommend them.
  • Captainbob wrote: »
    rgfitz5280 wrote: »
    Part of the problem was the tread on the soles of my TEVA sandals is getting worn.

Having never used power grips, can't say one way or the other. I do know I really like the slings I use now. I won't "clip in" with the "clipless" pedals. I have to think about how I put me feet into the slings, and then think about how to get them out. With the Velcro on my slings sticking to my sandals or slippers, I would lose them before my feet came out.
  • Would have liked to have tried the SPD-SL method for more foot platform. SPD is good, although that small section does make the feet feel uncomfortable at different times.
  • Do you feel your feet falling off the pedals all the time or just after you've ridden a certain number of miles? Do you lose feeling in the feet?

Seriously, I don't have this issue. I tried shoes with hard soles and had the problem. But, since I started wearing Skechers Go Walks with the foam soles, I have a good grip and the feet never leave the pedals.
    Power grips are useless on a Trike for keeping your foot in place. You are lucky you haven't broken your leg.

and

I've been using XL Power Grips for two summers without incident. 800 miles last year, and 1000 miles already this year. I sure hope you're wrong Captainbob. What and where is your evidence? I was quoted roughly a grand for custom made clipless shoes to fit these extra wide/extra deep size 15 feet. :/
  • My evidence was a black and blue foot that I could barely walk on for over a month. After riding with Power Grips for nine years, the slings do feel odd. My feet feel like they are slipping out of nonexistent power grips.
  • Just out of curiosity, could one use Power Grips along with the heel slings for the best of both worlds?
  • edited September 1
    Just out of curiosity, could one use Power Grips along with the heel slings for the best of both worlds?

I am not sure you could mount both on the pedals very easily. The metal bar of the Power Grips, like my old ones, goes on the front of the pedal where the aluminum bracket holds the ends of the sling cables. It also uses one hole on the back of the pedal that the cable ties of the sling are threaded through.
  • The slings I have mount through the holes in the back edge of the pedal, which is the same place the Power Grips mount, I would guess. I bought them from TT's store, so you can find them there.

BUT, the slings I have are strips of Velcro with metal edges on either side of the foot. Twisting your foot into power grips might be a bit hard to do with the metal on the slings.

I think you could use both, if you really wanted to test it out. but it might be a hassle getting in or out of both together.
  • Guess I'll have to give it and try and report back here on my level of success.
  • Nearly a month using the slings I feel they are a success. They are well designed and the sling slips into the lower back of my sandals automatically.
    Power grips are useless on a Trike for keeping your foot in place. You are lucky you haven't broken your leg.

and

I've been using XL Power Grips for two summers without incident. 800 miles last year, and 1000 miles already this year. I sure hope you're wrong Captainbob. What and where is your evidence? I was quoted roughly a grand for custom made clipless shoes to fit these extra wide/extra deep size 15 feet. :/

I use power grips years ago for about a year, one day on my Tailwind Recumbent, my foot slipped down and off the pedal. I went to SPD's on my next ride and have used them ever since.
  • Tried Power Grips on my first mtn bike in '95 didn't like them couldn't get out of them fast enough when i was about to fall down. Been using clipless pedals on my road bikes since like 83 or so, got mtn spd's for my mtn bikes, Never looked back. Used the TT OEM straps when I got my RAT. They were.....ok...but my rt leg was weak and i had a hard time lifting my leg into the straps and didn't feel "comfy/sake" in them. One day went installed my OLD mtn bike pedals, Shimano 747's which I used since '95 and been using them with my old Sidi mtn shoes. I did set the "tightening/holding" spring strength to a lesser amount to make easier to free my feet from the reclining position ; than my upright position Ir8tlkjwcpdo9.png
    had on my bikes. Best wishes!
  • I bought my Path 8 used in December of 2011 and was lucky that the previous owner installed pedals with SPD clips. Must admit that it took a bit to get used to them, but in my opinion this is the way to go.

A bit off topic, but Ironman, would you mind posting additional photos and information on your modified trike carrier? I need to do something similar.
  • Mine I made with a 2” square stock that I fit into the receiver on truck. On top of that steel I mounted some aluminum
    channel with square u bolts. All three channel pieces are as long as the distance between the fore and rear tires. I ratchet strap the trike to the carrier.
  • The channel alum is 2” so my 1.75 tires
    fit inside.
  • FINN58 wrote: »
    Mine I made with a 2” square stock that I fit into the receiver on truck. On top of that steel I mounted some aluminum
    channel with square u bolts. All three channel pieces are as long as the distance between the fore and rear tires. I ratchet strap the trike to the carrier.

Photos?
  • Someone told me how to do it once
    here but I never bothered to learn how. I is puter illiterate. I think I have to send
    fotos somewhere to retrieve em to place them on site.
  • I had gone to a local welding place and ordered one but after 8 days and no call, I cancelled that order. I had the parts laying about so I assembled it myself. Just had to buy the three square 2” U-bolts to attach to the 2” steel square tube. Drilled holes in bottom of channel for u bolt to stick up through from below.