Chains

Ok, I have a question about chains. Seems chains have changed over the years.
On my tandem pro, does it matter what chain is used for the captain? That chain never changes gears...curious more than anything. What is proper chain for rear stoker position with the 27 gear drivetrain?

Comments

• I wonder if anyone else has broken their 10 speed KMC X10 chain? In 35 years I've broken two chains, first time an 8 speed because I screwed up and cross shifted. TOTALLY MY fault!! Never cross shifted again never broke a another chain. Till the other day....

The second time was the other day just normal shifting to a lower gear in back while in low front. Just wondering if the 10 speed chains are "as strong" as any "old school" chains? Glad i carry a chain tool and spare master links was able to fix and continue on.
  • Define cross shift please Thanks, from
    Mister Dumas. :D
  • Basically it's using the following gears: A. Large chainring in front with large bear in the back, or B. Small chainring in the front with small gear in the back. These situations can pull the chain "sideways" and can cause it to break especially if one has much pressure on the pedals. This is a good explanation of the term:
    http://road.cc/content/feature/213468-cross-chaining-it-really-all-bad

Hope this helps.
  • cross-chaining probably has little effect on a trike since the length is about 2.5 times that of 2-wheelers. considering twisted chain is the norm for the cruzbike and what sram has to say on the subject, thinking cross-chaining is more an aesthetic than practical issue, same category as removing caps from valvestems.
  • So no one here has ever had a broken chain on their trike? ONLY bikers break chains because of....................?? What then causes the broken chain JamesR ? Just wondering.
  • So no one here has ever had a broken chain on their trike? ONLY bikers break chains because of....................?? What then causes the broken chain JamesR ? Just wondering.

Chains break when one of the components in the chain fail due to wear, abuse or lack of chain maintenance.
  • edited September 6
    Guess was lucky on all the 20+ years riding an MTB, never had those issues and am sure would have crossed gears a few times. Shimano Deore / Biopace setup.

On a trike would think that would not occur due to the length of the chain, more flex/give.
  • Ok if you guys say so. NO chain ever breaks because it was cross shifted/cross chained and doing an extreme effort on the crank arms that "could" break the chain?
  • another +1 for trikes! long, long time ago had a schwinn 26-incher single speed [3 speed were quite exotic back then]. standing up, making speed when the chain broke. not good atall to land on the crossbars instead of the seat. kinda hard to steer the bike to a grassy spot for a landing in that position.
  • Maybe I'm lucky but having owned 8 motorcycles (3 dirt), at least 30 bikes/trikes and a couple chain saws I've never broken a chain. I worn them out/stretched them due to abuse but not broken. As a kid I doubt I ever oiled or adjusted a chain and most of the bikes sat outside in the weather.
  • JamesR wrote: »
    another +1 for trikes! long, long time ago had a schwinn 26-incher single speed [3 speed were quite exotic back then]. standing up, making speed when the chain broke. not good atall to land on the crossbars instead of the seat. kinda hard to steer the bike to a grassy spot for a landing in that position.

Boys and cross bars. We all learned one way or another. Mine was slipping off a pedal.
  • 10 speed is thinner/lighter than 7/8 speed chain, so maybe a bit easier to break. Have a BBSO2 on my Rover 8 speed and have worn out chains and sprockets w & w/o eassist but none broken..... so far.