G8 Replacement for My Rover

On Saturday my sram G8 hub died after about three years of service. So, from what I understand, they aren't making those anymore, and I'm just wondering what I should replace it with?

The local trails are VERY hilly (probably contributed to the G8's early demise), so I need something that will stand up to heavy duty use.

Also, I'm considering moving up from a 20" to 24" wheel. I'd like the extra speed, but I'm afraid I'll lose too much climbing ability.

Any advice on replacement hubs and/or wheel sizes would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• shimano is a good replacement but sram stll available.
    https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/wheels/hubs/igh

15-72 g.i. 24-inch wheel, shimano-8, 28/45 patterson crankset, 24 tooth rear hub
    17-52 g.i. 24-inch wheel, shimao-8, 32 teeth up front, 24 tooth hub rear hub

15-75 g.i. 20-inch wheel, shimano-8, 28/45 patterson, 18 rear
    20-62 g.i. 20-inch wheel, shimano-8, stock rover, 32 teeth front, 16 rear

15 g.i. is 25% less effort on hill climbs than stock rover.
    depends on your engine - 75 gear-inches at 60 rpm is 13.5 mph, 80 rpm goes 18 mph.

would hike the 20-inch rear wheel on a 2-inch board and check heel clearance before going with a larger rear.

depends, you can often get a good deal on a shimano-laced wheel at utah trikes, check under rear wheels their site.

http://sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html is a good place to consider gearing possibles.
  • Did you purchase it new? If so, call and see what is covered under the warranty. Many have had TT trikes for a long time with no issues.
  • edited December 2017
    Utah Trikes is closing out of the now discontinued, Nexus i8 hub - $159.xx and they also have your SRAM G8 Freewheel Hub 36H 135mm Over-Locknut - Black for $249.95
  • Hey everyone! Thanks for all the replies--lotsa good info there. I contacted TerraTrike and they confirmed that the hub is out of warranty.

So, it looks like my choices are to either get an entirely new wheel assembly from them (they do have some Nexus wheels) or to buy a new hub and have my local bike shop rebuild my wheel.

After talking things over with the guys at the bike shop it seems like my cheapest option would be to simply find another G8 and "transplant" it into my old rear wheel.

They're telling me that putting in a different hub would likely require a lot more work and be more expensive....

• la! if you bring in the new hub and they use your existing rim, reasonable place will charge $60 labor + 32x$1.50 for the spokes.

have bought several igh laced wheels from utah trike, cheapest $300, max $400.
  • Yeah, that's pretty close to the prices I'm seeing... A whole new wheel would cost about $400 for a Nexus.

My bike shop will charge me $70 to just replace my G8 or $70 + $2/spoke to build a whole new wheel with a new/different hub...

I'm assuming that I would need new/different spokes if I changed from the G8 to the Nexus.

I have no experience with wheel building/IGH's.
  • Not very likely the 2 hubs are the same size. Both will be 135mm width overall but the flange diameters and widths will not. Then you would need different spokes
  • Noticed recently that Chad at Spin Bicycle Shop in Lansing, MI had a couple of used Nexus hubs sitting in the work area. He might sell one if you were to give him a call 517-372-3000.
  • I have an i8 20 in. rover wheel and stock tire and control. I changed my wife's rover to a nuvinci. We got it in the spring of 2017 so the miles are at most 300. I will try and post pics later. I am in michigan if you are interested.
  • If you don't get any takers on the i8 20 in. rover wheel I would be interested. I would like to up grade my Wife's 3 speed Rover.
  • Boxmaster, how does she like the Nuvinci? Was it worth the money? In my area, I am changing gears constantly. An automatic shifting process would be awesome!
  • It's available as far as the wheel. My wife loves the nuvinci it is night and day smooth and quiet. Worth the money.
  • u2cvmykrojpp.jpg
    0uhit18wdcik.jpg
    Here are the pics of the wheel
  • My wife loves the nuvinci smooth and quiet. I posted this once and it disappeared.
  • romeo52 wrote: »
    If you don't get any takers on the i8 20 in. rover wheel I would be interested. I would like to up grade my Wife's 3 speed Rover.
    The wheel is yours if you want it. I will not pay for shipping so that would have to be figured out.
  • Where are located? I'm in Romeo, Mi, maybe I could pick up the wheel if you're no too far away.
    Where are located? I'm in Romeo, Mi, maybe I could pick up the wheel if you're no too far away.

I am in midland mi. 2 hours or so away.
  • Thanks for getting back to me about the rear wheel. How much are you asking for it?

Bill romeo52@me.com
  • It is just sitting in the basement, like I said it's yours free no charge just shipping. I was never able to get the hub adjusted so it didn't slip. The yellow dot is in the center like it should be and it slips in 6th gear. My wife found out about the barrel adjuster and was moving it on the fly. So that may be part of it. The post office has those boxes ships one rate no matter the weight you would need at least a 20" box. I do not know the cost.
  • You need to read this blog more. They taught me how to adjust my gears. It's very easy and resolved the problem whenever it occurs. Cables stretch and often need adjustment.
  • Boxmaster wrote: »
    It is just sitting in the basement, like I said it's yours free no charge just shipping. I was never able to get the hub adjusted so it didn't slip. The yellow dot is in the center like it should be and it slips in 6th gear. My wife found out about the barrel adjuster and was moving it on the fly. So that may be part of it. The post office has those boxes ships one rate no matter the weight you would need at least a 20" box. I do not know the cost.

Would you mind if I picked it up in person maybe sometime tomorrow?
    My Email ( romeo52@me.com )
    Boxmaster wrote: »
    It is just sitting in the basement, like I said it's yours free no charge just shipping. I was never able to get the hub adjusted so it didn't slip. The yellow dot is in the center like it should be and it slips in 6th gear. My wife found out about the barrel adjuster and was moving it on the fly. So that may be part of it. The post office has those boxes ships one rate no matter the weight you would need at least a 20" box. I do not know the cost.

Would you mind if I picked it up in person maybe sometime tomorrow?
    My Email ( romeo52@me.com )
    I sent you an email.
  • You need to read this blog more. They taught me how to adjust my gears. It's very easy and resolved the problem whenever it occurs. Cables stretch and often need adjustment.
    I am sure you are right. I lost interest in it.
  • I just what to post a special Thank You for letting me have your extra wheel, be assured it will be put to good use! I wish we could have talked more but the weather was pressuring me to get back on the road. Have a Merry Christmas!
    I just what to post a special Thank You for letting me have your extra wheel, be assured it will be put to good use! I wish we could have talked more but the weather was pressuring me to get back on the road. Have a Merry Christmas!

No problem I'm glad it will be put to good use. Merry Christmas to you too!