Winter sledding

Well this sets the weekend ride back a few days...

Comments

• LOL. Me too!
  • Strap skis to the front tires, chains on the rear and start peddling.
  • Boat anchor to stop.
  • @squirrelpie0 is the only person I know of on this Forum that regularly rides in these sort of conditions. Anyone else out there braving inches of the white stuff?
  • Pansies... get out and ride. Starting to sound like an old folks home...
  • Chickened out this winter. Rolling along through the fog in PCB, Fl. Pretty much just over 30 mi everyday. Probably be a little winter left for me in N. Ontario when I get home mid March, plus going back to Canada over Xmas to make sure the gene pool gets some attention.
  • Ok, everybody out of the pool!
  • Squirrelpie0, I think you brought that Canadian air down here. This is colder than I remember but I haven't spent a winter here since 2008. At least the roads aren't packed like South Florida. Only you northerners chose to come to this beautiful place!
  • Had to head north today to visit the gene pool for a few days. Made it to Nashville and still looking for the cold 35F Left the trike in the Condo. It locked it's brakes and refused to move an inch from the Beach. Detroit tomorrow and then slip into Canada to pick a few bananas before heading south after Jan1.
    Er
    -35F in good old Rainy River. Should be fine by May 1
  • The pool is closed for chlorine shocking.
  • FLA-Lake City has some trees iced up
    Did you see that wx in Navarre???
  • No, thank goodness! I looked at the Weather Channel mid-morning and the snow was about 20 miles north of here. We did have bitter cold. It was nasty from Tallahassee to the east. I-10 had to be shut down.

The problem is southern states don't have snow plows. We were stationed in Blytheville AR when 6 inches hit. People were using their cross country skis because the base had absolutely no snow removal equipment. They were using dump trucks to spread sand on the highways. The further south you go, the less equipped they are. In Northern Virginia, the salt truck/snow plows were out and waiting for the snow to start every time.
  • Salt doesn't work in -20 wind chill weather like we have today.
  • When I lived in South Boardman & Fife Lake ~40+ years ago, after plowing the main roads (at ~60mph!?) they would put down brine (salt) soaked sand. The brine would melt the surface of any snow an the sand would stick to the surface giving amazing traction and control. In southern Michigan, they aren't that smart. Instead they apply copious amounts of salt, ruining both car bodies and the roads IMHO.
  • The big 3 pay for the salt.
  • When I lived in South Boardman & Fife Lake ~40+ years ago, after plowing the main roads (at ~60mph!?) they would put down brine (salt) soaked sand. The brine would melt the surface of any snow an the sand would stick to the surface giving amazing traction and control. In southern Michigan, they aren't that smart. Instead they apply copious amounts of salt, ruining both car bodies and the roads IMHO.

The company that took care of our private roads just outside Traverse City was using a brine solution a few years ago. I kept wondering why it had a oily film to it and got the company to give me a copy of the MSDS. Turned out they were using a by product from the fracking process. We got them to stop using it via many angry letters and calls.
  • They need to be very careful reusing oil products. I lived not far from Times Beach MO growing up. That's where they sprayed used oil on the rock roads to keep the dust down and created one of the worst hazardous sites in the country.
  • I believe using any sort of oil on roads anymore is strictly forbidden. Good on ya Ed!
  • Made it back to the Beach from Canada and then from Orlando. Lots of branches and trees on ground east of Tallahassee. S Ontario, Michigan and Indiana were brutal -15 F Jan 2 in Indianapolis. Missed biking because of travel and cold/flu .... hopefully left it up north with gene pool. Made it out for 40 km today with wind clothing on and very enjoyable about 45-50F. Tomorrow will be great if not too rainy. Enjoyed drooling over new trikes in The Villages north of Orlando
  • If you owned a house down here, they could all come visit you. However, they may not leave until spring!

Next time you head south, stop at Gator Cycles in Gainesville. They just opened a new store and had the best selection of trikes I had seen in any store. I'm sure there are better stores in Michigan, but they are very good for Florida.