Winter exercise

Comments

• Sold my skis when I replaced my right knee, left hip, and both shoulders. I believed I would never be able to ski again. My surgeon tells me he see no reason why I couldn't give it a try again. Well, no reason except I no longer have any upper body strength, and I no longer have skis. If the spirit moves me, I can always rent.

Stay in shape my friend.
  • Sold my skis when I replaced my right knee, left hip, and both shoulders. I believed I would never be able to ski again. My surgeon tells me he see no reason why I couldn't give it a try again. Well, no reason except I no longer have any upper body strength, and I no longer have skis. If the spirit moves me, I can always rent.

Stay in shape my friend.

TrikeBirder,
    Here is something for you. I took this picture of a Arctic Snow Owl last week. This one migrates to an area very close to our home. When I blew the picture up on our computer I realized it carried tag #25.
    edjxlj3a0m7o27.jpg
    25.jpg 155.6K
  • Hi Ed, yes, a beautiful immature Snowy Owl (they become all white as they mature). This appears to be another very good year for snowys. We have them in the Lansing area this year as well, and they have made it at least as far south as mid-Indiana. In fact, most don't realize that, in large eruption years, they can migrate as far south as Florida!

Snowy Owls are arctic year-round residents most years, but on average, every 4-5 years, they head far south. People used to think that Snowys migrated because of cold, but, their southern migration is actually about food resources.

The favorite food of Snowy owls is lemmings. And these owls can't get enough of those small, fuzzy rodents, each eating 3-5 a day, or, more than 1,600 lemmings a year! The lemming population booms and busts on an alternating regular cycle in the Arctic. Every time there's a lemming boom, snowy owls show up in great numbers to breed. Then, for the next year or two, lemming numbers typically plummet as the owls consume so many for their young and themselves.

Now, for the 2nd year in a row, researchers are reaping the benefits of this Snowy Owl "eruption" migration, spending long, cold hours in the field, live-trapping the birds in order to later track their movements. That's probably why the big, easy to read, tag #25 was so conspicuously placed on the owl you photographed. Typically, even most researchers try to remain 100 yds away so as not to scare or interfere with the birds.

I'll stop now, as I can easily get carried away talking about birds, or, trikes, and only one of these topics is truly appreciated here. :# ;)
  • Oh yeah, I sent you a private message Ed, with info for you & your wife.
  • Oh yeah, I sent you a private message Ed, with info for you & your wife.

good read, I replied.
  • Serious question. A year ago the bike shop showed me a trainer that tied into the TV. Increased resistence on uphills; racing modes; cruising modes. All the scenery on TV.

I'd lije to surprise my wife with one. She's rides a 26" df (Electra Townie) and I ride a 20" Rover. Does anyone know of such a system?