Tires and grease recomendations

2»

Comments

  • Ok, So I have got some grease coming, tires, tubes, new avid brake kit, several needed specialty tools.
    When they get here, my fun begins.
    I got some ss wheels as a gift-figured I'd change the look on the pro and maybe improve the ride with a wider tire.
    Brakes were getting thin so bought new kits(rotors,cslipers, etc.)
    Slightly altered gearing in rear cassette-
    New padded seat covers-
    I figure doing it this way, I can swap wheels out as sets, with brakes and all, as I choose. I'd like to build my own single trike too.
    I will post pics when I get started between my other "jobs"
    Cold here now(5 degrees) but getting fever to ride.
    I noticed I had a wheel bearing going south in left front wheel in velocity hub( will need to address before re-use in future)Anyone Know bearing size needed?

  • Have my left wheel off. Seems I need a Torx bit to take brake rotor off. Had a Torx set I bought but can’t find at this moment. Never thought I’d need one for this vehicle. Plan on replacing bearings. Both sides. They seem to move ok. But I want that 25 mph w/o
    having to go to Pikes Peak or
    Mains Loa.
  • Mauna Loa.
  • Bearing question. At what age/mileage/
    condition should you replace them?
  • edited January 20
    My first one failed around 10000 km l outside. Right outside is a little 'rough' and I will replace in spring. It is 17,000+ km. They are inexpensive and I have several spares. The trick may be extracting the old bearing from the hub. might need a blind puller. Don't know about the stock rear as I bought a 24 in wheel that had standard cone and cop w loose balls. If you check the lube seasonally should last a long time on front
  • My Avid BB7 kit came w a torx wrench for removing disk bolts and ease of adjusting pads. one in each wheel set
  • Bozo50 wrote: »
    Ok, So I have got some grease coming, tires, tubes, new avid brake kit, several needed specialty tools.
    When they get here, my fun begins.
    I got some ss wheels as a gift-figured I'd change the look on the pro and maybe improve the ride with a wider tire.
    Brakes were getting thin so bought new kits(rotors,cslipers, etc.)
    Slightly altered gearing in rear cassette-
    New padded seat covers-
    I figure doing it this way, I can swap wheels out as sets, with brakes and all, as I choose. I'd like to build my own single trike too.
    I will post pics when I get started between my other "jobs"
    Cold here now(5 degrees) but getting fever to ride.
    I noticed I had a wheel bearing going south in left front wheel in velocity hub( will need to address before re-use in future)Anyone Know bearing size needed?

    If you lived nearby I'd say bring it over my shop is open to all needing help working on their bikes/trikes/motorcycles.
  • Thanks for the invite Ironman. Some day I hope to have all my work done so I can play all day....LOL!!!
  • Anyone ever find this ProGold EPX locally, or has it been an order on line
    product since time began?
  • Finn59 wrote: »
    Anyone ever find this ProGold EPX locally, or has it been an order on line
    product since time began?

    LOL LOL No you can have a local bike shop get it for you (mine does, "Outdoor Adventures"; Las Cruces, NM) Or you can order from Progold themselves, Amazon, or"fleabay". If you lived close by, I'd say bring it over i'll help you i got a the big jar of EPX right here.
  • Local shop is only open three days a week this time of year. Was going to hold off ordering online til I spoke to them. Can get 3 oz size for $9. Is that going to be enough if I repack them?? The adage of don’t fix what’s not broken is playing ping pong in my head. The bearings spin right now. Should I try and pull the rubber seal to have a look see...
  • Finn59 wrote: »
    Local shop is only open three days a week this time of year. Was going to hold off ordering online til I spoke to them. Can get 3 oz size for $9. Is that going to be enough if I repack them?? The adage of don’t fix what’s not broken is playing ping pong in my head. The bearings spin right now. Should I try and pull the rubber seal to have a look see...[/quot

    (Wish you did live closer so I could help you). Everyone does OR doesn't do maintenance their own way. All the years I raced bikes (1982 to 2009); once a year before the season started; I took my bikes completely apart to the bare frame. Anything that didn't look or feel right got replaced; (tires, brake pads, cables, bearings, etc.). ALL bearings and "sliding surfaces" (rim brake pivot pins, derailleurs, and yes rear derailleur pulleys, etc) got cleaned and any pitted ball bearings or races got replaced. Cartridge ball bearings got seals taken off and repacked (as long as they weren't gritty or pitted). If not spinning freely I cleaned them and repacked. If not spinning freely then; I installed new cartridge bearings. (Using EPX I rarely had to replace a cartridge bearing). I did take my clipless pedals apart and re-greased them unless they had play in them; then I replaced the 3/32" ball bearings inside. Took forks and shocks apart and cleaned, re-lubed everything. Am I a maintenance nerd? Maybe so, IDK nor care. All I know is in all the years I raced I NEVER had a mechanical DNF. Many of these races were years before stupid cell phones so you can't call Mommy to come get you. Many races took way into the boonies or on a mountain that no vehicle could rescue you. So it's up to ME to get me home.

    Actually had only 1 DNF in my career but only cause I had intestinal distress the morning of a 100 km race and started over an hour late and got to the last checkpoint before the finish 20 minutes late and they wouldn't let me continue.

    MSRP for the 3OZ tube form Progold is $5.49, IDK how much shipping is. Yes that size is more than enough to do the job and last you a long time. FWIW (cause I am a nerd; and it's MY Trike to do with as I please). I got my trike in May last year and a couple months later took the three wheels, BB, and derailleur pulleys off to pry the seals off and re-pack them all with Progold. They definitely spin far better than before. FWIW I have never been sponsored by Progold They make great products that have worked great for me for years!! (Grease and chain lube).
  • Ok. I’m shipping the wheels to you! I’ve repacked roller bearings before. This can’t be that difficult.
  • I got the outside seal off. I expected it to be ALL rubber and didn’t want to deform it by trying to pry too much.
  • Finn59 wrote: »
    Ok. I’m shipping the wheels to you! I’ve repacked roller bearings before. This can’t be that difficult.

    Nope sorry I don't work on other people's trikes, I only teach them to work on THEIR bikes/trikes, LOL
  • Finn59 wrote: »
    I got the outside seal off. I expected it to be ALL rubber and didn’t want to deform it by trying to pry too much.

    The seal is rubber and metal if you have bent it you can put it on a flat surface and flatten it out. you can't really damage it unless you REALLY bend it bad.
  • I was BSing you about sending the wheels. Ball bearings seem to rotate smoothly though any grease in there is tough to dissearn. The red in ProGold will make it easier.
  • From a bearing manufacturers website.

    Grease: Grease consists of a base oil with a thickener added. These thickeners consist primarily of metal soaps (lithium, sodium, aluminum, and calcium), organic (ureas), or inorganic compounds. While these thickeners greatly influence the characteristics of the grease, the lubricating properties of the grease are attributable to its base oil.
  • Finn59 wrote: »
    I was BSing you about sending the wheels. Ball bearings seem to rotate smoothly though any grease in there is tough to dissearn. The red in ProGold will make it easier.

    I knew you were joking, LOL! Re-fill the bearings, replace the seals and you are ready to go! you'll probably notice the wheels spinning smoother/longer after you put some miles on them.
  • The bearings move when I push with my finger, but do not after I remove it.
    Maybe stiff?? Should they spin easily?? Can’t wait to find out.
  • Ironman, you are hired! I am shipping my trike to you tomorrow, LOL! I just can't buy any time to work on the trike this winter. Always something coming up. Maybe we'll have another cold snap to keep me indoors so I can finally do all my trike chores.
  • Michigan is rumored for a Feb cold
    streak. Teens for highs next Friday. Ms.
    Fla will want to come north and check her sun screen for a wind chill rating.
  • She’ll want to hurry though, the bread won’t last...
  • Looks Delicious!! That and good strong coffee and life is wonderful!
  • Looks Delicious!! That and good strong coffee and life is wonderful!
    I drinking that coffee right now...while cooking my steak and eggs.
  • I’m waiting in room for my fasting sugar blood draw. Quarterly visit to the vampires at hospital. But I have two slices of buttered bread waiting in truck for me. Yum. I overslept.
  • Regarding re-packing bearings: maybe this is just for the high-end ones I used in the Navy on our big motors and generators, but WEAR Nitrile gloves!. Human skin oils can cause rapid breakdown and crystalization of the grease once it heats up again.
Sign In or Register to comment.