Rambler battery mount ?????

Anybody got some good ideas for mounting a 72V battery under the seat of my rambler?

Comments

• What about a TerraCycle Universal battery mount . Expensive but solid rep for quality
  • What about a TerraCycle Universal battery mount . Expensive but solid rep for quality

I did see these..... there are spendy
  • I just have to ask; why, what for? Why "electrify" a trike? If you are gonna electrify it to not have to pedal why even buy a trike in the first place? Just me. If I wanted an electric "vehicle" it would be cheaper to buy a "hover around", or just use a car if you don't want to pedal?
  • That's a big battery. Are you using a mid drive motor? I'm also in the process of adding a motor to my wife's Rambler. Did you happen to see this:

https://www.facebook.com/joe.ryder.9847/media_set?set=a.1391779994468798.1073741825.100009104328367&type=1&l=91eae6e132
  • I just have to ask; why, what for? Why "electrify" a trike? If you are gonna electrify it to not have to pedal why even buy a trike in the first place? Just me. If I wanted an electric "vehicle" it would be cheaper to buy a "hover around", or just use a car if you don't want to pedal?

Ironman
    In this case you know nothing about my build nor about me. Please try to keep your comments on the positive side and supportive ...... it makes a much better world. :)
    Willie
  • romeo52 wrote: »
    That's a big battery. Are you using a mid drive motor? I'm also in the process of adding a motor to my wife's Rambler. Did you happen to see this:

https://www.facebook.com/joe.ryder.9847/media_set?set=a.1391779994468798.1073741825.100009104328367&type=1&l=91eae6e132

Romeo
    Thanks, I did not see that, thanks for sharing. I sent him a note and hope to learn more.
    You can also send me a p.m. and I will share more about what I bought and where. I would say that 80% of the bicycle people do not know about how to electrify a trike. I 've made lots of mistakes (tuition) and am getting much smarter :) always learning and always sharing.

Willie
  • Willie,
    Good luck with your power change.
    ed
  • edited January 7
    Willie wrote: »
    I just have to ask; why, what for? Why "electrify" a trike? If you are gonna electrify it to not have to pedal why even buy a trike in the first place? Just me. If I wanted an electric "vehicle" it would be cheaper to buy a "hover around", or just use a car if you don't want to pedal?

Ironman
    In this case you know nothing about my build nor about me. Please try to keep your comments on the positive side and supportive ...... it makes a much better world. :)
    Willie

Hello Willie, yes you are right I know nothing about you; or anyone else for that matter. BUT what I posted was not negativity directed at anyone. Sorry you took it that way. My question is why purchase a "pedal vehicle" {bike, trike}, to convert it to a vehicle that needs no pedaling. To ME; a pedal vehicle is for exercise, not to be riding around in with no effort cause it's electric. So I ask why bother? Buy a car, buy a golf cart, buy an electric vehicle.

I rode and raced bicycles {road raced, Tri's mtn bikes} for 34 years. Had my rt femur removed doc said no more biking afraid if I fell down the Ti bar in my thigh might do damage. So I still missed "pedaling" and exercise, so bought a trike. If {ME} wanted no pedaling I'd buy an electric trike so I don't pedal, again just for ME. Best wishes.
  • Willie wrote: »
    I just have to ask; why, what for? Why "electrify" a trike? If you are gonna electrify it to not have to pedal why even buy a trike in the first place? Just me. If I wanted an electric "vehicle" it would be cheaper to buy a "hover around", or just use a car if you don't want to pedal?

Ironman
    Willie

Hello Willie, yes you are right I know nothing about you; or anyone else for that matter. BUT what I posted was not negativity directed at anyone. Sorry you took it that way. My question is why purchase a "pedal vehicle" {bike, trike}, to convert it to a vehicle that needs no pedaling. To ME; a pedal vehicle is for exercise, not to be riding around in with no effort cause it's electric. So I ask why bother? Buy a car, buy a golf cart, buy an electric vehicle.

I rode and raced bicycles {road raced, Tri's mtn bikes} for 34 years. Had my rt femur removed doc said no more biking afraid if I fell down the Ti bar in my thigh might do damage. So I still missed "pedaling" and exercise, so bought a trike. If {ME} wanted no pedaling I'd buy an electric trike so I don't pedal, again just for ME. Best wishes.

Ironman
    Thank you for your clarification. There are a lot of people, for many different reasons,
    that would enjoy getting out on a trike. Some with partners that have no handicaps that can still bike very well. In some cases then they both don't bike.
    My case I have severe arthritis. It is important that I stay active and keep my motion as much as possible.My wife (6 years younger) has no signs of arthritis and loves to bike. We live in a hilly part of Texas. I have about 1 mile that is flat then I have a 14% incline over 2000' to go anyway. Our neighbor hood is full of this type of terrain.
    My electric build will have PAS (peddle assist) that I can program at 3 different levels of assistance. when i'm on the flat I won't need it. It takes a strong motor with lots of torque and amps to move 280 lbs up that incline. That is why I have chosen to do the build myself.
    I have fond a lot of people in their sixties that would love to get out and bike but don't have the stamina to go 10-12 miles to start so they give up and don't try. A lot of friends are waiting to see mine and would like to try it.
    In my case if I don't fight the pain and stay active ,my arthritis will only get worse.
    What I learn, I will be glad to share with others that stay positive and want to try.

Willie
  • I added electric assist to my Rover last winter. It wasn't that I needed electric assist to ride, nor to keep up with anyone. Instead, I wanted a more versatile Rover. I also wanted to have confidence that I could get up any hill, and confidence that I could ride all day. In year one of my trike ownership, I rode on average 3 days a week from June through September and rode a total of 500+ miles. Last year (2017), my second year of trike ownership, my trike riding averaged 6 days a week, and I rode more than 1200 miles.

Like Willie, and many others on the Forum, I have chronic persistent osteo arthritis throughout my body. Mine comes following years of football, basketball, and one nearly fatal motorcycle accident. Following surgeries replacing both shoulders, one hip, and one knee, my surgeon recommended I get a recumbent trike and ride it exclusively at a high cadence. He told me it didn't matter how fast, nor how far, I rode. He emphasized making as many pedal revolutions as I could, and never dropping my cadence below 60, while always aiming at 90 rpm.

Electric assist (EA) works only when you are pedaling. That means, with EA I made more than twice the pedal RPMs I made last year. I also spent more time outside, off the couch, exercising, and doing many of the things I love.

So, as you can see, there are a lot of good reason's someone might want to put an electric assist motor on there trike.

As for mounting the big battery, I'd first try to use the new TT Low Rider rack, it was designed to sit behind and below the seat, and is the perfect mounting place for EA batteries. In my opinion, the best place to put extra weight on our trikes is low and as close as possible to the center as possible. This minimizes any negative handling issues. If others have different thoughts, I'd love to here them.
  • Low rider rack is a excellent battery location, keep the C.G. low and cabling short.
  • Low rider rack order today along with the "Market Pannier" . Worried that it will hang to close to the ground.
  • it will. when the market bag is mounted on the regular terratrike cargo rack the bottom rides about axle height of a 20-inch wheel.

the low-rider rack with its stock components will not fit a chain-drive wheel due to chain clearance.

what are the dimensions of your battery?
  • JamesR wrote: »
    it will. when the market bag is mounted on the regular terratrike cargo rack the bottom rides about axle height of a 20-inch wheel.

the low-rider rack with its stock components will not fit a chain-drive wheel due to chain clearance.

8 1/2 x 8 1/2 x 5 wide
  • Willie wrote: »
    JamesR wrote: »
    it will. when the market bag is mounted on the regular terratrike cargo rack the bottom rides about axle height of a 20-inch wheel.

8 1/2 x 8 1/2 x 5 wide

24" wheel
  • once upon, toted a pair of 12-pound sealed lead-acid batteries in market panniers either side of the cargo rack, no problem. those panniers are excellent quality, lasted 5 years, each hauling 20 pounds of groceries and tools on saturdays. real bang for the buck stuff! but lost in hurricane irma flooding.

ordered a low-rider rack before the note was posted that it wouldnt fit a rover external-8 due to derailleur chain interference. expect the rambler fitkit solves that problem.

your battery size sounds good for mounting on the low-rider along with a rear fender to protect it from road-fling. me, to protect such a costly investment, would want it mounted with at least 6-inches bottom road clearance.

• That Low Rider Rack is a really great way to mount batteries. I have one on each side of it, for better than 25AH of juice available by just swapping out one for the other. I think you will be very happy with your battery pack mounted on it. It's centered between the seat and the rear wheel, fairly low to the ground. This placement helps reduce instabilities while riding due to the lower center of gravity.

As a Disabled Veteran, motorizing eFreedom was almost a requirement in Western Washington. It's hilly and some of them can be quite steep. Without a motor I was lucky to do 2 miles on a ride. With the motor I've lost 60# and think nothing about doing a 20 or 30 mile ride in a day. What a difference a piece of technology means to me, a somewhat ambulatory Veteran. Imagine what it could mean to a Veteran that is nearly wheelchair bound?

@Ironman1518 I want to thank you. Your posts prove that, no matter how I feel about things around me, there are others with different opinions. You remind me that it is through the service of our men and women in uniform that ensure the freedoms we all share in this country. The first of which is the freedom to express ourselves. We live in a country where we can feel free to express our opinions. This is guaranteed by the 1st amendment of our Constitution which every Veteran swore to uphold and defend when they took the Oath of Enlistment.

Many of those men and women that made the sacrifice to ensure you have that freedom are now enrolled in the Veteran's Administration. They may be enrolled for health care, mental health or for some other Veteran related assistance programs. And, finally, we have the VA that is actually starting to work WITH us, instead of against us.

One of those VA programs is called the "Get Healthy, Stay Healthy , Be Healthy." This program is designed to put Veterans on recumbent trikes. The VA will buy a trike up to $3500 for qualifying Veterans. Motorized or not. Not only does it help heal the body, but it works wonder on the mind. Twenty-two of my fellow brothers and sisters suicide every day, due to a variety of reasons. If one motorized trike saves ONE VETERAN'S LIFE it was a well spent $3500, IMNSHO.

The VA has found by putting Veterans into trikes they can combat putting them into wheelchairs. By keeping these men and women moving the VA is keeping them alive, through healthier lifestyles. So for many of my fellow Veterans, the choices may very well be motoring or dying... In my mind, not much choice... (I know it wasn't much of one for me, either.)

I hope you go out of your way to thank Veterans for the sacrifice my brothers and sisters shouldered so you can express yourself. I know I do. I shake the hand of every Veteran I meet and thank them, even at the VA. I even welcome the Viet Nam boys home. They didn't get much of a welcome home when they returned so I make damned sure they get one now.

Coming from another Veteran it's not some politically correct cantrip against evil. It means something, coming from one of us to one of us. We've stood that mid-watch.... Faced the fire... We know what the sand and smoke tastes like and how the air feels, even though it might be 3000 miles apart and 30 years difference in time... That's not something a non-Veteran will ever truly understand.

Don't thank me for my service. Thank the boys and girls that came home in boxes. Their sacrifice was the ULTIMATE one. Turn EVERY day into Memorial Day. Stand at the National Anthem and say the Pledge of Allegiance. Go out of your way to make the living Veterans welcome. And elect government representatives that are Veteran Friendly.

So, again, I want to thank you. For coming to these forums, and in one fell swoop insult the members here that HAVE NO CHOICE but to motor or continue a downward spiral to death. Many of us here are Veterans and deserve a lot better than to be insulted on these forums... Thank you for expressing yourself with an ill-formed opinion, that for you may be the "truth". Thank you for perpetuating the false-hood that a motorized trike or bike means the rider is to lazy to do the work himself.

Or become better informed, so you can express your opinions without pissing off a bunch of people you should be thanking for their sacrifices on your behalf....
  • AMEN! Wish I could get the local VA to buy more trikes for the many disabled vets living in my area. And, get the county to build more trails.

Elrique64, I have no problems maintaining a speed without electric assist. My issues are starting out, especially on a hill. The city of Pensacola FL sponsors monthly "Slow Rides" intended to get families out riding. They limit speeds to 5 mph, use city police to stop traffic on cross streets, and experienced riders to control the group. Unfortunately, many people ride one-speed bikes and the organizers takes us up large hills. Last time I had one of the organizers trying to push my trike up a hill while I was riding it. It was insulting! I never thought I needed electric assist but I may if I continue going on these rides. The stupid thing is they can find a flat path for the rides but they chose not to.

Is electric assist worth the cost for me? Now I'm taking shorter rides with my new rescue dog and found he does much better if I keep him to a trot rather than a full out run. That limits me to the same 5 mph. If only I could teach him to pull me on starts, I would have no problems!
  • What constitutes "qualified" veteran for the trike buying help? When I tried to sign up for the VA they said I made too much money, even though I was in a category that is supposed to have instant approval (radiation exposure).
  • Since this thread has gone downhill already............the V.A. , our Legislative and Executive branches of the federal government all are complicit in failing to properly care for the injured soldiers beginning in the hospitals with delays for treatment and substandard care and and post service benefits.
    My father was a 30 year career Marine retiring as a E-9. He did WW2, Korea and Vietnam, think he needed help? My stepfather was a WW2 vet with minor injury and later hospitalized in a V.A. facility for mental illness care. My sister is a 20 year Air Force retiree with a deceased husband struggling with the system.
    I served 1961-65. Do not try to paint a pretty picture of the V.A., it deserves all the wrath it and our government receives and more.
  • The problem is the DoD does not care for veterans. If they did, they would take better care of individuals while they are serving.

I worked for the DoD for 26 years, I was previously a military spouse, and my son is an Air Force pilot. For 30 years we had reps in Congress who took care of our local military. While I lived in DC, they elected this young punk who is the son of a rich guy. He doesn't even know how to spell veteran. That's why I want to work to help them as much as possible.
  • Miss Florida - for the hills, try changing the 16-tooth sprocket on your nexus hub to 22-teeth ~$8 + labor. it will drop your top end proportionately but if hill starts, slow rides and pooch exercise are the name of the game these days might make ya happier.
  • I can use the Patterson crank to go to lower gears. But, I'm still having issues getting it back up to the higher gear and it would make me go even slower. I wasn't having a problem peddling. I just wasn't going fast enough for them. The ride managers expect me to go as fast up the hill as I do on the flats. That won't happen for most people!