Additional Tool Needed

Do you carry a pliers with you on your trike? I never thought about one but saw someone on Facebook state that their chain fell apart and they didn't have a pliers to force it back together. Guess I'll add one to my bag!

Comments

• the pliers are more useful for separating the master link than joining chain.

derailleur drivelines, use a bungee to pull both ends of the chain together with a bit of overlap for installing a new master link.

on internal drivelines, get chain-slack by positioning rear wheel or moving the boom rearward. bungee, inserted 6-inches or so from the break at each chain end keeps the chain aligned for easy link install by hand.

have found it easier to use above joining method than with the pliers. my humble, the sram links are tighter tolerance that the kmc links though a tad more fiddley to remove and install than the kmc type, thinking the sram provide a bit more security.
  • I carry a miniature chain breaker tool, spare chain (about 12" worth) and 3 master links. And yes, a set of chain pliers. All in a plastic bag to keep them separate from my other "emergency" kit (spare tube, patches, etc).

I stick with KMC-Z72 chain because that's what TT sold my Rover with and packages of 164 link chain are only about $6 on Amazon. No other reasons.
  • Yes, carrying a chain breaker tool and some master links is an excellent idea. You just can't push a trike home like you can a bicycle in a pinch. Along with that a pair or two of vinyl gloves is a good idea because working with chain is a dirty job.

Another tool I'm adding is a small adjustable wrench (Crescent). I was asked to tighten a seat post on a lad's bike, but alas, it was a retro bike and I didn't have a tool that would help. I'm thinking I might do some grinding on the handle to reduce the overall weight and size of the tool itself.

I might also add that it would be good to watch some YouTube videos on doing basic bike repairs so you don't get caught flat footed out on the trail.
  • Good idea about the gloves. I bought garden gloves that are rubber in one side and cloth on the other. They would work for working with the chain.

Where would I buy a chain breaker tool and a master link?
  • I found a couple spare MasterLinks at a high end LBS.
  • Never leave home without some disposable vinyl gloves. Makes the ride a lot cleaner after chain and derailleur handling.
  • Good idea about the gloves. I bought garden gloves that are rubber in one side and cloth on the other. They would work for working with the chain.

Where would I buy a chain breaker tool and a master link?

I think most bike shops will carry master links as they are a common maintenance item. Same goes with a chain breaker. Some bike multi-tools have them built in but I prefer to have a separate tool. Look at this one to see the little piece of wire that you use to hold the ends of the chain when you install master link. Trying to hold both ends of the chain while inserting the master link will drive you crazy, hence the wire bit to hold the chain.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Cutter-Breaker-Splitter-Riveter/dp/B0759Y8T26/ref=sr_1_36?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1518673196&sr=1-36&keywords=bicycle+chain+breakers
    I don't particularly like the design of this one (line above) but you can use a tiny piece of wire like this to make this bit. I found a chain breaker that's small and easy to use. The link example is just to see the wire piece. My chain tool looks more like this.
    https://www.amazon.com/Breaker-Splitter-Cutter-Randall-Elliott/dp/B0753GDS47/ref=sr_1_29?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1518673429&sr=1-29&keywords=bicycle+chain+breakers
  • That second example looks a lot like the tool used to tighten spokes. I used to have one of those.

I'm thinking it might be smart to carry a second chain but I still need the chain puller to put it on, right?
  • No. Carry some Master Links as estraw but use one to assemble your chain as well. Look them up.
  • And one box of chain from Amazon. Plus, I got my KMC master links on amazon as well - A pack of 6 master links and one package of KMC-Z72 won't set you back very much at all, but along with a small chain breaker (I have the very ones that @TrikesterHal linked to above, but I prefer the first one because of the handle and the wire to help hold the chain together) you'll have a nice little "get me out of just about any chain problem" kit. The whole thing can't weigh a pound. Less if you don't carry the entire 164-link chain from the package.
  • Be sure to get the Master Links that properly fit your chain. They are different for different size chains (8, 9, 10, etc.). Chains come in 3⁄32 in (2.4 mm), 1⁄8 in (3.2 mm), 5⁄32 in (4.0 mm), or 3⁄16 in (4.8 mm) roller widths, the internal width between the inner plates. ⁄8 in (3.2 mm) chains are typically used on bikes with a single rear sprocket: those with coaster brakes, hub gears, fixed gears such as track bicycles, or BMX bikes.