WHAT IF!!!!!!

I have the Rover 8. If you had a Rover 8 tandem,and were thinking of upgrades. What would you change?
Would you change the OEM 8 speed hub for a bigger better hub? If so, which one?
Would you go for more gears? if so, how many gears would you like to have?
Would you change the 20" rear wheel for a 24" rear wheel?
Would you change the front wheels to 24" wheels?
These are some of the ideas that I am thinking about. I will be riding mostly on rails to trails, done with hills. At my age I just want to ride and have a great time.
When you make a pick of a change, explain why the choice.
Thank you.

• Here's what I've done so far:
    24" wheels all around
    Extended and modified handlebars (wide on bottom, standard on top)
    Terra Cycle dual cup holder, added PVC tube to hold Hydro Flask bottle
    Added used Patterson crank on front
    Cheap rack from Walmart
    Cheap expanding bag on rack
    Awesome new flags from TT

Don't know what your age is but older or handicapped individuals have added an electric motor. I don't feel I need that yet as I'm 60 with two new knees. Mine is a Rover 8i model bought in 2014. When I lived in South Florida and rode on flat streets, I added a 38T front gear and got more speed. Now that I am in the Florida panhandle and have a lot of small hills, the lower gear of the Patterson crank comes in handy. I would still like to change the gear on that crank to get more top speed and to use the lower gear more. Now I only use it on small hills.
  • bought the tandem frame extension as a separate piece with intent of making a longtail cargo trike. not one of my better ideas, but . . .

Would you change the OEM 8 speed hub for a bigger better hub? If so, which one?
    - if you have the nexus-8 hub, pretty bulletproof hub, would keep.

Would you go for more gears?
    - yes. patterson crankset [order from them] will give you 16 speeds with the nexus-8 and compensate for the weight of the tandem by a lower first gear.

Would you change the 20" rear wheel for a 24" rear wheel?
    -no. weaker wheel, results in raising all gears a coupla notches. just a 24 on the rear lowers pedal road clearance. buncha money going to all 24s, relacing the hub and new tires and tubes.

Would you change the front wheels to 24" wheels?
    yes, have done that, much easier on/off for the pilot. depends on wallet.

would get the ips version to avoid stoker discord.
    yeah - new 8-speed chain, match rather than patch quality of the driveline.

would mount schwalbe big apple plus 20x2.0 tires and schwalbe tubes for suspension.
  • I have a Rover Tandem IPS - mostly stock at this point.

A Rover Tandem is a solid cruiser bike. Trying to make it a speed demon is like fitting out a 1950's Schwinn beach cruiser for the Tour de France. You can go a long way upgrading it, but you won't get there!

Everything here are possible upgrades, but I have to ask what problem are you trying to solve? Are you trying to get more out of the bike? That might be better solved by going to the Pro.

The other thing you never address is who are you riding with. A you trying to even out the abilities of two different riders? Is it a comfort issue? It's possible to make one rider comfortable and wreck it for the other. Tandems are the art of compromise!

Yah, 24" fronts may make it easier for the pilot to get up, but so will a set of Versa Bars (for a lot less $$).

My wife and I have different ideas of an ideal cadence (I want to go faster, she'd rather peddle harder). Her disability has a lot to do with this. A Patterson up front might help with this, though I need to do more research.

IPS (and tandem in general) means more communication. My wife was just peddling along not paying attention while I'm trying to slow down for a stop sign! Overall, I like the IPS. It gives me the ability to drag us back myself if I have to and not worry about her.
  • @JamesR, if you still have the Rover tandem section, would you be willing to sell it? If so, for how much $?

Also, I want to apologize for not contacting you a joint trike ride while we were in Gainesville, I had forgotten you had mentioned that you lived in that area. All I did was check TerraTrike's site: Trike Groups- http://www.trikegroups.com and then pull downed the Member Map and zoom in on Gainesville. I do similarly wherever we go and have time to ride.

I would encourage everyone to Join Trike Groups so we can contact one another wherever we all go.
  • @TrikeBirder- sorry to report that piece of hardware along with batteries, tools, wheels, etc got left behind when the apartment got flooded during the september hurricane.

a pity, that. had attempted a rear-steering rover delta - 12 inch longer extension would have done it. long-tail cargo - alas, streets not wide enough to do a 180 although the fred flintstone imitation when doing a 3-point turn amused onlookers. had planned on trying a semi-longtail with patterson crankset, mechanical mid drive, nexus-8 hub, but then things got wet.

i envy your current excursion! wouldnt have been much of a riding companion this pass-through but that is about to change. been testing an unpowered geared wheel on one of the trikes, batteries due in this friday. will be out and about looking for interesting areas to ride should you come down for some vitamin d next year.
  • @JamesR, sorry to hear of your flooding issues. We will likely be back next year or the year after. Be sure to let us all know the details concerning the unpowerd geared wheel, I know you have piqued my interest!