HAS ANYONE CHANGED OUT THE OEM 165MM CRANKSET? IF SO WHAT DID YOU INSTALL?

Wondering if anyone installed a different crank-set on their RAT? If anyone installed a triple crankset and what are the crank arm lengths? What did it do for your gearing; ease of spinning? Etc?
I am looking at a 170mm triple crankset with a 22/32/42 combination of chain rigs. Any input for me, please? Thank you!

Comments

• chainwrap is one of the limiters when regearing.

rat chainwrap (36-22)+(40-11)=43 links
    mtb chainwrap (44-22)+(40-11)=51 links

above based on the assumption you wish to keep present low gearing while increasing gearing range.

so - start hunting for a long-cage derailleur and consider mounting an idler and chain keeper. you will need a new front derailleur as well.

a better option may be a schlumpf mountain drive with a 22-tooth sprocket up front, original derailleur and cluster in the rear. run the numbers on the sheldon brown gear-inch calculator for a look-see.

crank-length: around 3-4% increased pedal effort with the 170 compared to the 165 at same cadence. personal thing, depending on condition of your knees, could hurt or could feel good.

changing driveline configuration may lead to frame and tire clearance issues.
  • JamesR wrote: »
    chainwrap is one of the limiters when regearing.

rat chainwrap (36-22)+(40-11)=43 links
    mtb chainwrap (44-22)+(40-11)=51 links

above based on the assumption you wish to keep present low gearing while increasing gearing range.

so - start hunting for a long-cage derailleur and consider mounting an idler and chain keeper. you will need a new front derailleur as well.

a better option may be a schlumpf mountain drive with a 22-tooth sprocket up front, original derailleur and cluster in the rear. run the numbers on the sheldon brown gear-inch calculator for a look-see.

crank-length: around 3-4% increased pedal effort with the 170 compared to the 165 at same cadence. personal thing, depending on condition of your knees, could hurt or could feel good.

changing driveline configuration may lead to frame and tire clearance issues.

Thank you I am well aware of most of what you said, thank you! I have already mounted a long cage, 9 speed Shimano XTR M960 Rapid-Rize rear der with my 9 speed XTR Dual control levers. Am still using the OEM 10 speed chain; 10 speed cassette {11-40}; and FSA Comet 2 x 10 {22-36} 165MM crankset. This works very well for me, since I never use the 11 tooth rear high gear. I am seeking info on a Longer triple crank, because in "my head" the longer leverage of the longer crank arms would mean less effort/force required to turn the crank; therefore easier on the legs/knees. I guess I am wrong? Please straighten me out? Thanx again!
  • I'm talking to my dealer about changing to a triple, but not for your reason.
    I want to switch to something like 26/36/46. Going down hills I spin out above 20 mph. I want to do more than sit and coast down the hills.
    I have never used the lowest gear inch combinations, so I don't feel the need for a 22T granny gear.
    I do like the 165 mm cranks. I'm 5'8" tall. Longer cranks require that my knees change their angles more while pedaling. If you are tall, the longer cranks might be better for you. For me, the shorter cranks mean less wear and tear on my legs/knees.
    Gordon
  • Gordon_O wrote: »
    I'm talking to my dealer about changing to a triple, but not for your reason.
    I want to switch to something like 26/36/46. Going down hills I spin out above 20 mph. I want to do more than sit and coast down the hills.
    I have never used the lowest gear inch combinations, so I don't feel the need for a 22T granny gear.
    I do like the 165 mm cranks. I'm 5'8" tall. Longer cranks require that my knees change their angles more while pedaling. If you are tall, the longer cranks might be better for you. For me, the shorter cranks mean less wear and tear on my legs/knees.
    Gordon

I spin out with a 52 going downhill sometimes. All depends on the hill. Watch the videos that are posted on F.B. of guys going downhill most are spinning out.