Bike shop discussion

edited April 4 in General Discussions
Me : Hi, do you have a puller to remove a FSA Vero crank arm from a square taper ?
Bike shop : Let's see, we have this model from Park ?
Me : That's to small, I need it for a 22 m.m. thread.
Bike shop Owner steps in : You should have a puller built in.
Me : no, this model requires a puller.
Bike shop Owner : Here, look. as he take me to a bike with a totally different crank set.
Me : That's not a FSA Vero.
Bike shop owner: Silent as he stares out into space.
Me: Grrrrrrrrrrr !!!!

Comments

• Betcha they have one in Mexico!!!
  • I'll ask when we're there
  • We got 2-3 inches in spots. What did
    yo north country get???
  • Which crankset do you have on your trike? UNLESS I am wrong that Park should work, if you have a square ended BB axle. I've used min on Many 3 piece cranksets, even "octalink". Best wishes.
  • Which crankset do you have on your trike? UNLESS I am wrong that Park should work, if you have a square ended BB axle. I've used min on Many 3 piece cranksets, even "octalink". Best wishes.

He had the wrong Park tool. I need the CWP-7 or the more expensive CCP-22. I ordered one.
  • me: would like to buy a crank-puller.
    lbs: if we stocked one, no one would buy it, but we can order you one.

me: would like to buy a park tool cable cutter.
    lbs: we just use a pair of dikes. if we stocked one, no one would buy it, but we can order you one.

me: would like to buy a tire jack.
    lbs: opens drawer, holds one up. you mean something like this? we hardly use it. if we stocked one, no one would buy it, but we can order you one.
    me: tell ya what - why dont you sell me that one and let me pay you guys for a new one?

money changed hands and i was able to mount a dreadful stubborn set of marathons.

having decided it was prudent to have tires that came off using thumbs in the event of a flat, switched to big apple plus. getting the marathons off involved quite a bit of socially-incorrect phrases, introduction to use of a quik-stik and mighty sore thumbs. future tube repairs were almost a pleasant experience when i recalled the past marathon effort.
  • I doubt many bike shops stock a lot tools for sale as that cuts into the service department business. Car dealers and boat dealers I've known don't sell tools.