Optional 26" Rear Wheel

edited March 2012 in Legacy Products
I noticed this note on the Optional 26" Rear Wheel Accesories page.

"It is important that the new tire you get has the same tire pressure as that
which is currently on your trike. Please look at the wall of your front
tires and verify their psi."

So If I want to add a 26" 100PSI tire on the back, I need to replace my stock tires on the front as well...correct?

Just curious why is this?

Comments

• Yes. Rolling resistance. Your tires will wear differently with different PSI.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • I had been told at the bike shop where I bought my Cruiser that with the 26" rear wheel, your feet can hot the ground while peddling because raising the rear lowers the boom. I have an XL boom and big feet (size 14). Is this really a problem? I think I would prefer the bigger wheel.
  • I have the 26" rear wheel kit on my Zoomer and wear size 12 1/2 shoe and have never had my feet hit the ground. If you use clipless pedals you can adjust your cleat to a lower position on your shoe.
  • rpp wrote:
    I had been told at the bike shop where I bought my Cruiser that with the 26" rear wheel, your feet can hot the ground while peddling because raising the rear lowers the boom. I have an XL boom and big feet (size 14). Is this really a problem? I think I would prefer the bigger wheel.

I've not heard of that happening, not that it doesn't mean it can't, but you can get the clipless pedals as another rider suggested or the powergrip pedals which you can find on our web site.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • This may be a little late on the thread, but might still be useful for people buying new Cruisers. Last fall I bought my Cruiser. It of course came with the 20" rear wheel. I put about 200 miles on while waiting for the 26" upgrade to come in.

I measured the seat and bottom bracket height with both size wheels. With the 26" wheel on, the seat was one inch higher and the bottom bracket one inch lower. I dont believe that there is much worry about heel strike with the 26" wheel. Gear inches are of course higher, but no big deal, there are lower gear inches available. The advantages I see are better ride, better handling, seat higher so easier to get out of, chain and RD higher out of the dirt, and knees lower and more out of sight as you pedal. IMHO the 26" up grade is a very positive thing. Also while there is no logical mechanical reason, I think it just makes the trike look much better.