New to the Sport

Although I've been out of it for many years, I have a history in bicycle road racing, but am new to the recumbent trike sport, and have to say I LOVE IT!
I was wanting something new, and didn't want to be "just another biker" and this CERTAINLY is not a main stream area.
I live in a small central Illinois town and I am probably the ONLY one any around here has EVER seen! I certainly get lots of smiles and waves.
I've had my Rover a little less than a month but have put over 200 miles on it. Being retired, I am able to ride every day, so unless it's raining, I'm out touring the cornfields.
It IS rather difficult to find stuff for it, as there are several area bicycle shops, they don't carry anything for recumbent bikes/trikes, so I have to plan day trips to Chicago.
I have to say, this is my new FAVORITE page to spend time!

Comments

• Welcome! Buy stock in Coppertone and Gatorade. You will be using both. I'm jealous of the flat roads you get to ride. Are there any trails near you? I hear the Katy Trail that goes through central Missouri is pretty great but there will be lots of hills. Glad you made a smooth transition to trikes. Many people struggle with the lack of speed.
  • TerraTrike's Accessories Page has LOTS of goodies. Although some of us have upgraded with parts from other places, like a Power Post, then adding a Topeak bar extender, an AirZounds horn, and whatnot.

You can go from this:
    93t29wkdionq.jpg

To this:
    8nb9eylfren2.jpg

Over time. I've planned most of my purchases. The Low Rider Rack & Pack was not planned, @chonk baited us on these - but it was something I was asking about a few years prior too.
    u3iugorxbb1a.jpg

¬ ITL
  • Welcome to the Journey!!

¬ ITL
  • Welcome SteveR. Once you get your bent (recumBENT) legs, I'd love to here about your triking speeds and ride distances since you come from the world of bike road racing. Seems like I am perpetually looking for more endurance and more speed. I have added about 1 mph per year since I got my Rover 3+ years ago. My endurance has improved yearly as well. At some point (probably too soon), I will reach the point of diminishing returns. I'm hoping big numbers from triker's like you add to my motivation to keep improving.
  • Welcome! Buy stock in Coppertone and Gatorade. You will be using both. I'm jealous of the flat roads you get to ride. Are there any trails near you? I hear the Katy Trail that goes through central Missouri is pretty great but there will be lots of hills. Glad you made a smooth transition to trikes. Many people struggle with the lack of speed.

Flat roads are nice, but sometimes boring.Sadly, there aren't many trails nearby. There is a very nice county forest preserve about 11miles away, so it's around 22miles round trip. It has a paved bike/running path, but at 6miles in length, it's a little short, but still worth the ride.
    Speed was never my forte, as road races were usually 50-75 miles and sprints were not more than a few seconds or at the finish of the race.
  • edited August 20
    Isn't it great that we brought another one in the cult, oops, I mean triking group!

That is a joke. Please don't take it seriously.
  • Nope. CULT it is.
  • I had to make sure no one sent the FBI to visit me.
  • I'm afraid it's too late. They may be knocking on your door any minute now.
  • FBI rides up on ICE trikes /ducks

¬ ITL
  • FBI isn't concerned with Cults of navel-gazing or exercise, I would think :-)