Speed

edited September 2010 in Legacy Products
I've had my cruiser for a few weeks now and try to ride it around 8 miles daily.

One of the upgrades I want to get is the rear wheel conversion. Not so much for the speed but to help keep my chain in the rear from being damaged on rocky paths and roads. But, the speed issue is there too. With my current stock configuration of gearing and 20" tire and 52/11 on sprockets I should be able (according to the chainring chart) do 30 mph tops. Well so far I've pretty much only used the middle sprocket in front (42/11) which my computer shows 16-17 mph. I have had it faster with the help of a good down hill. But, at about 25-26 mph it becomes unsteady - fish tailing. So my question is (because the charts show the trike should be able to go a lot faster (especially with the larger rear tire) - is the unsteadiness me, the trike, or a combination. Is there something I need to checkout on my trike.

Thanks, Mike

Comments

• this is a Very good question to ask. Today we had a Group go out and we had one zoomer, 2 cruiser and do df bikes(regular road bikes).

we hit a hill on the way out and i got it to 26 and i thought wow its very loose. i just held on and went with it.
    Then as we took a brake my dad hopped on it and took off up the hill. he got to the top came bombing down and sure enough he thought the same thing. So i asked the other guy on cruiser what he thought and he told me you will get use to it.
    So on the way back we hit a Awesome downhill and i hit 38.5 :o miles per hour. and it wasnt that bad. What a blast.
    Also what is the cost of the upgrade?
  • Krazykayak wrote:
    this is a Very good question to ask. Today we had a Group go out and we had one zoomer, 2 cruiser and do df bikes(regular road bikes).

we hit a hill on the way out and i got it to 26 and i thought wow its very loose. i just held on and went with it.
    Then as we took a brake my dad hopped on it and took off up the hill. he got to the top came bombing down and sure enough he thought the same thing. So i asked the other guy on cruiser what he thought and he told me you will get use to it.
    So on the way back we hit a Awesome downhill and i hit 38.5 :o miles per hour. and it wasnt that bad. What a blast.
    Also what is the cost of the upgrade?

That is pretty fast even for a very experienced Trike rider. Here is another good forum with many discussions on going fast on a Trike.
    http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... y.php?f=13
  • yes i belong to BROL as well. Im new to trike but i have been on bents for the summer. Before riding bents i was a mountain bike racer so going down hills is the best thing ever.