26" Rear Wheel Kit Instructions

edited October 2010 in Accessories
Hi All,

Does anyone have the instructions / manual for installing the 26" rear wheel kit? It doesn't appear to be in the manuals section on the site.

Thanks,

Jon

Comments

• OK, well I went ahead with the installation as it looked pretty straight forward. I can summarize it as follows:

Installation

The wheel was already assembled and ready to go and just had to install the quick release axle that was provided. This was a nice touch as the axle matched the hub (black), whereas the old axle was silver to match the old 20" wheel. The new drop-out adapter brackets fit nicely over the old drop-outs and installed easily with the 4 hex socket cap screws. Moving the rear derailleur to the new drop out adapters was quick, but the old cable housing is too short and puts a tension in the cable. Inserting the extra chain lengths went ok with the couple of issues mentioned below.

Issues found during Installation
      1. As mentioned above, moving the rear derailleur to the new drop-out adapter causes the cable housing to stretch out (see below picture). Since the housing was cut to fit the 20" wheel, I'll have to go to the LBS and get some housing to cut a new one. It might be nice to include this with the installation kit, along with a new cable crimp plug.
    IMG_1954.JPG

2. When breaking the chain, I broke the cardinal rule about chain breaking and pushed the link pin all the way out. So I had to go down to LBS and pick up a couple of the KMC reusable chain links. It was a good thing I bought an extra one though, as one of the links provided with the extra chain lengths was for a thinner chain (I think it read 5.7 or 6.6 mm) whereas the links that I bought were for 7.1 mm chain. It took a bit of pulling and swearing before I read the markings on the "weak" link.

3. I ended up with some extra hex socket round head screws and washers that I can't find a place for. The only thing I could think that they're for, is for a luggage rack installation. I already had the screws for my luggage rack so these extras weren't needed. If anyone know what they might be for, please let me know.

IMG_1965.JPG

4. What to do with the spare 20" wheel? I'm guessing there's not much of a re-sell market for the tire. Maybe I'll save it in case I decide to do a DIY BOB trailer.

Results

IMG_1956.JPG

Woohoo, what a rush. I took the trike out for a shake down cruise, even though I was missing my higher gears due to the rear derailleur issue. Wow, can it move now and when I can get it up to the highest gear ratio I'm flying. The recumbent smile just got a little wider. My hats off to the Terra Trike engineering department for this add-on. Nice job with the design!

I did note though that when I took one corner a little fast, my inside wheel did come up. It looks like the trikes sitting a little higher at the back, so it may be a bit tippier. I guess I'll just have to lean into those corners more, cause I don't think I want to slow down.

Well, I guess I'm going to save up for the High Speed drive now and possibly a rear speed hub (Maybe Rohloff or NuVinci). I'd like to hear peoples experiences with these if they have them.

Regards,

Jon
  • Well, I found out a few more things today. Kelli sent me the instructions for the installation and I found out those roundhead hex socket screws mount to another of the holes in the new drop-outs from the inside of the old drop-outs. Also, the two chain extensions provided were not meant to both be put on at the same time. One chain was for the Cruiser (8 speed) and one chain is for the tour (9 speed). So I've got some fixin to do before my next ride.
  • I just received the 26" drop out kit and I am EXTREMELY disappointed that there are no instructions. While I am a pretty handy man, I have little experience with bikes.

I am also disappointed that no one from TerraTrike has posted on this thread.

TERRA-TRIKE SEND SOME INSTRUCTIONS!!!

Not zall of usa can afford 100$ per hour and taking time out of our busy day to go schedule an appointment at a bike shop and have someone do something that we can do ourselves with a little bit guidance.

This is a serious customer service issue and will impact my willingness to recommend them to the numerous people who ask me about my trike.
  • rpp wrote:
    I just received the 26" drop out kit and I am EXTREMELY disappointed that there are no instructions. While I am a pretty handy man, I have little experience with bikes.

Not zall of usa can afford 100$ per hour and taking time out of our busy day to go schedule an appointment at a bike shop and have someone do something that we can do ourselves with a little bit guidance.

This is a serious customer service issue and will impact my willingness to recommend them to the numerous people who ask me about my trike.

If you email me personally or give us a call we are always willing to help or send you what you need. I have emailed you the instructions per your request. If you need anything else, let me know :D
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • rpp wrote:
    I just received the 26" drop out kit and I am EXTREMELY disappointed that there are no instructions. While I am a pretty handy man, I have little experience with bikes.

Did you consider calling us?

Kelli emailed them to you (Same day as your post I might add) and I have updated our manual section on the website.

See, wasn't that easy?
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • As I had previously mentioned when I installed the new 26" wheel, I had found the cable and housing at the rear derailleur to be too short. So up until now I had been limited to my 5 lowest gears on the rear cartridge. Tonight, I had finally gotten around to fixing this problem.

I ended up having to go down to the bike shop and get a longer derailleur cable (2 feet longer) and some more cable housing, along with the housing caps and cable crimp plug. The first length of cable housing I had cut was still too short (about 3" longer than the factory installed housing). Luckily I had enough cable housing left to cut the proper length which ended up being 17". After that I was able to route the new cable from the shifter to the rear derailleur easily enough.

Getting the rear derailleur took tuned correctly took a bit of time. My advice when setting the High and Low adjustment screws on the derailleur is, once you've got your high and low gears close enough, just to use small turns (1/8 to 1/4) until you've got smooth shifting through your gears. I think I got it close enough, but I'll have to give it a try tomorrow and adjust if needed.

So all told, I was about $6 for the extra parts and another 1- 1/2 hours for installation. I don't see any mention of this in the installation instructions posted in the manuals section, so perhaps the engineers at Terra Trike didn't find this an issue during development of the kit and I'm just an isolated case. But if it's an oversight, then I'd suggest a revision to the instructions and supplying the parts with the kit.
  • You mean they don't include everything you need to attach the 26" wheel? Really? :shock: And I'm considering getting a wheel for my Sport Elite, too... :|
  • If you're considering the 26" wheel, my suggestion would be to go for it. It's a nice improvement to the trike. As I was saying, I may just be an isolated case; my guess is that the other people who have bought this kit probably didn't have to go to this extent or you would have seen something posted on the boards.;

Perhaps just wait to see if one of the Terra Trike staffers has to say about the issue. Or if you decide to order, just take a measurement of that rear cable housing and have them verify that it's long enough for the new wheel.
  • Should have everything you need in the kit. Sorry to PrairieCruiser! If you purchased the kit through us and would like a refund of the extra money you put towards it, please contact me!
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Kelli, thanks for the gracious offer. I'll send you an e-mail with the details.