New owner

edited October 2010 in Legacy Products
It looks like this model's page needs some new life pumped into it.

I bought a Path 8 a few weeks back and will be starting to hit the local bike paths this weekend. I had let age catch up and limit my physical activity to the point where I had to start basic training to get my legs in shape for riding. They are right - the older you get, the harder it is to get/stay in shape. Fortunately, the Path is a blast to ride and is a strong motivator to work out. 30 squats/day has finally started to pay off and I should be ready this week for some local rides.

Next summer, I plan to bring it along on my annual road trip to Door County, WI.

Comments

• Have fun daver. I I have just recieved my path8 today I checked it over and went for a ride. FUN! FUN! FUN!
  • Hi Daver, we've had our Path 8s for a little more than a year and like them a lot. We've considered changing to the smaller front sprocket (as on the Rover) for more hill climbing but haven't had to do so as yet. We are finding that we seldom get to 8th gear but are going up to about 18 mph in 5th. I'm a big fan of the locking brake levers (parking brake) and you'll see my review of them elsewhere.
    Enjoy!
  • Welcome to the Trike addiction center . Hope you enjoy your new trike as much as I enjoy mine..... :)
  • The only gripe I've had so far is that the stock pedals are really lacking. If you spin them with your hand, they don't, and they are not user serviceable, so you cannot adjust them. However, in 2 minutes, I replaced them with the Suntour Superbe pedals from my road bike and the problem was solved.

In fairness to TerraTrike, for what a Path costs, they have to cut things a bit in some areas, and pedals seem to be a personal thing that many riders will swap out anyway.

Other than that, I wish they were around 50 years ago. I might never have owned an upright bike if a quality trike had been available when I was growing up.
  • daver wrote:
    The only gripe I've had so far is that the stock pedals are really lacking. If you spin them with your hand, they don't, and they are not user serviceable, so you cannot adjust them. However, in 2 minutes, I replaced them with the Suntour Superbe pedals from my road bike and the problem was solved.

Hey Dave,
    I'm glad you like your trike.

Our M.O. from the start is to give the customer the best value. Although I agree with you on the pedals, they are acceptable for 95% of the people out there, and if it's not pedals it's tires, seats, etc.

We would rather offer a trike at a low price and give YOU the customer the option to upgrade to the components YOU want.

Enjoy. Keep the rubber on the cement.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • daver wrote:
    The only gripe I've had so far is that the stock pedals are really lacking. If you spin them with your hand, they don't, and they are not user serviceable, so you cannot adjust them. However, in 2 minutes, I replaced them with the Suntour Superbe pedals from my road bike and the problem was solved.

In fairness to TerraTrike, for what a Path costs, they have to cut things a bit in some areas, and pedals seem to be a personal thing that many riders will swap out anyway.

Other than that, I wish they were around 50 years ago. I might never have owned an upright bike if a quality trike had been available when I was growing up.

Make sure you use something on your pedals to insure your foot doesn't slip off, like Powergrips or clipless pedals. A "leg suck" injury is not something you want to get..
  • I have toe clips on those Suntour pedals, but thanks for the "heads up".
  • chonk wrote:
    Our M.O. from the start is to give the customer the best value. Although I agree with you on the pedals, they are acceptable for 95% of the people out there, and if it's not pedals it's tires, seats, etc.

We would rather offer a trike at a low price and give YOU the customer the option to upgrade to the components YOU want.

I absolutely agree, and if I felt I could not live with it the way it was equipped (or, if I could not upgrade from my own components) I would have bought a more expensive model. Higher pressure tires are something I'll check into at a later date, but I know what you mean, everyone has different ideas about what should come with it.

Now I guess my only gripe is that I didn't wait to buy until October 1... :(