8 speed hub leaking grease

edited February 2011 in Rover
So, my 8 speed hub is starting to leak grease out of the drive side from the crack between the stationary black part of the hub and the silver part that rotates around it. If I clean it all off, there is only a small line of grease along this crack after a ride of a few miles, but currently this whole area is covered in grease.

Should I be worried or is this normal?

Comments

• It's not normal, but don't worry! Contact the dealer you purchased it from or if that's us, give us a call and we'll see what needs to be done.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • OK, I'll check with my dealer. Thanks!
  • Just for others information, I sent an email to Sturmey Archer about this and this is the response I got from them:
    This is not a problem and will not effect the internals. There is enough grease from the factory on the internal to last the life of the hub. The amount that is expelled is determined by how much riding you are doing and could also do with the speed. I have had guys use the 8 speed hub on electric bikes that are averaging 20 miles an hour and they expel more grease at such a high rate of speed.

I would not be concerned unless your hub shows other issues such as gear slippage or gears not engaging.

So I guess for now I'm not going to worry about it :)
  • That's good to know.

Keep an eye on it though. I would agree to a point. If those hubs go bad - they usually do it right away.
    You're probably fine.
    But if not, you've documented it well here - I'm sure you won't have any warranty issues :)
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Well, not sure if it is because of the cold, or if there was just an excess of grease in my hub that needed to work it's way out or something, but it seems like my hub has pretty much stopped leaking grease for now, and I have not had any other problems with it (800+ miles on it so far).

In fact, it could just be that I am used to it by now, but it seems like the hub is not so noisy as it was at first :)
  • I'm thinking that when they filled your particular hub, they were a bit generous with the grease, and riding the trike, forced the grease to expand slightly as it warmed and caused it to be forced out of the seal.
  • Well, not sure if it is at all related to the grease thing or not, but my hub has died. My dealer and TerraTrike have me taken care of though, TT is sending a whole new wheel. And I have my old diamond frame that I can ride to work in the meantime (and a car if worst comes to worst ;)). Boy, riding my DF really makes me miss my trike though. :)

It happened while I was riding home from work. I was accelerating from a near stop and the hub slipped and made a horrible grinding noise. I was able to make it home (being very gentle on the pedals), but it slipped several more times on the way. When I got home I checked the cable adjustment which was still good, and I checked that the wheel was on good and tight and that the chain wasn't slipping on the cog or anything like that. I had my wife get on it and push on the pedals with the brakes on to make it slip again and I could clearly see that the section of the hub with the cog on it was slipping even though the wheel was stationary. It slips in most if not all gears, including first (direct drive).
  • acmasters wrote:
    Well, not sure if it is at all related to the grease thing or not, but my hub has died. My dealer and TerraTrike have me taken care of though, TT is sending a whole new wheel. And I have my old diamond frame that I can ride to work in the meantime (and a car if worst comes to worst ;)). Boy, riding my DF really makes me miss my trike though. :)

It happened while I was riding home from work. I was accelerating from a near stop and the hub slipped and made a horrible grinding noise. I was able to make it home (being very gentle on the pedals), but it slipped several more times on the way. When I got home I checked the cable adjustment which was still good, and I checked that the wheel was on good and tight and that the chain wasn't slipping on the cog or anything like that. I had my wife get on it and push on the pedals with the brakes on to make it slip again and I could clearly see that the section of the hub with the cog on it was slipping even though the wheel was stationary. It slips in most if not all gears, including first (direct drive).

Just curious, are they asking for the hub to be returned to them? Would be interesting to know why it failed.
  • Captainbob wrote:
    Just curious, are they asking for the hub to be returned to them? Would be interesting to know why it failed.

Yes, I was told they will be including a return shipping label and that they want the old one back. I am interested to know why it failed as well (I just hope it wasn't something dumb on my part).

If they had told me to keep it I would definitely have tried to take it apart and see if I could see what the problem is :). But I'm glad that they want it back as to me this shows that they want to know if there is an issue with the hubs that needs to be addressed.
  • acmasters wrote:
    Captainbob wrote:

Yes, I was told they will be including a return shipping label and that they want the old one back. I am interested to know why it failed as well (I just hope it wasn't something dumb on my part).

If they had told me to keep it I would definitely have tried to take it apart and see if I could see what the problem is :). But I'm glad that they want it back as to me this shows that they want to know if there is an issue with the hubs that needs to be addressed.

I agree with you. I think that Sturmey Archer, who has had some problems in the past with their older version of the 8-speed hub, and subsequently redesigned it a couple of years ago, is anxious to dispel the perception that their new 8 speed is also problematic. On this forum as well as BROL, yours is the first failure of this hub that I have read about, so I think you just lucked out and got a defective one, which can happen with any mechanical device. The fact that they want the defective hub returned to them is a positive sign that the manufacturer wants to find out what caused this unit to fail, to reduce that possibility in the future.
  • Captainbob wrote:
    I agree with you. I think that Sturmey Archer, who has had some problems in the past with their older version of the 8-speed hub, and subsequently redesigned it a couple of years ago, is anxious to dispel the perception that their new 8 speed is also problematic. On this forum as well as BROL, yours is the first failure of this hub that I have read about, so I think you just lucked out and got a defective one, which can happen with any mechanical device. The fact that they want the defective hub returned to them is a positive sign that the manufacturer wants to find out what caused this unit to fail, to reduce that possibility in the future.

Yeah, I could be wrong but I believe that the hub has a 2 year warranty, and everyone involved has been great getting me taken care of, so I'm not really worried about it. Like you say, hopefully the one I had was just defective and this one will last much longer.

I actually got the new wheel in yesterday and have already put it on and given it a quick test ride. Every thing feels great with it so far, and I believe it is much quieter than my other hub ever was, so that seems like a good sign.

I sent the old wheel back today.