PHOTOS: Rover X5 with accessories

edited December 2010 in Rover
A few photos of TrailBear's X5 with accessories - a work in progress.

The forward instrument and light mast...
This has worked out quite well.

SART122410004roverfwdmast.jpg

The Rover at the river...
The Santa Ana River Trail in Orange County, CA. (Yes, in SoCal most of the rivers are done in concrete.)

SART122410006roveratriverbetter.jpg

The rear light mast...

Need to get a better angle for the mast. Something to play with.

ROVERWEEKEND007lightmast.jpg

Comments

• Lookin Good!!!
  • Very cool~!

What is the bag hooked to the back of your seat? More details (and photos?) on this item please?
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • Peter_C wrote:
    Very cool~!

What is the bag hooked to the back of your seat? More details (and photos?) on this item please?

This is a Novarra bag from REI. Bit small after the Topeak trunk bag with panniers, but it works thus far.

Still in stock at REI at $70...

<http://www.rei.com/product/780461>;

Another shot of it...

th_SART122410003roverstern.jpg
  • Great ideas for those of us with new trikes! As
    i was perusing your photo's, I noticed that nice bright yellow helmet. Where did you manage to find it - stores around here have nada. :D
    Ride Fatman, ride
  • Looking good. Out of curiousity, where did you get the mount for your computer/headlight? I really like that mount.
    Enjoy your ride, have fun, and ride safe.
    Ed

2010 Terra Trike Rover 8

Younger riders pick a destination and go...Old riders pick a direction and go.............
  • Peter_C wrote:
    Very cool~!

I see that I misread your post. On the back of the seat is a handlebar bag from REI - a Timbuk2 or something like that.
    I will have to get a shot of it. Two velcro straps for attachment.

<http://www.rei.com/product/797677>;

I would not use it for a handlebar bag on the mt. bike - the Topeak bag is far superior, but it works well on the seat back of a trike for small stuff.
  • Great ideas for those of us with new trikes! As
    i was perusing your photo's, I noticed that nice bright yellow helmet. Where did you manage to find it - stores around here have nada. :D

Ditto for most stores. Had to go on line. It's a BMX helmet. I had one with speakers, but I have so little hearing (shooting artillery w/o ear plugs, etc.) that it was a waste, so I hunted this one up. They have colors.

Half cap BMX helmet. Pryme 8 from Amazon...

<http://www.amazon.com/Pryme-BMX-Bicycle-Skateboard-Helmet/dp/B000EOB4M0/ref=pd_sim_sg_1>;
  • Sixpack wrote:
    Looking good. Out of curiousity, where did you get the mount for your computer/headlight? I really like that mount.

Home Depot. It's 1/2" PVC pipe painted ToolBear Blue. Cost: under $2.00 DIY and easy.

The pipe fits into the derailleur mast loosely. A few turns of 20 mil tape top and bottom fur it out snug. A tex screw secures it. There is a "T" at the top. A short nipple and an end cap extend each leg of the T for gear mounts.

An early photo of the mast in development before the end caps were added...

th_ROVEROUTFITTING007GPSSIDE.jpg

This is the current form with GPS and MiniNewt light mounted...

SART122410004roverfwdmast.jpg
  • I am soory if I missed this, but where did you get the derailleur mast?
    Did it come as part of the X5? If so, can it be purchased alone?
    Tnx, Lynn - TomBent
    Tombent - My Rover
  • TomBent wrote:
    I am soory if I missed this, but where did you get the derailleur mast?
    Tnx, Lynn - TomBent

The derailleur mast is part of the X5 mods - 27 speeds. You can buy this one or the delux one from Utah Trikes

<http://www.utahtrikes.com/PRODINFO-Derailleur_post_For_TerraTrike_Rover.html>;
  • Hi, how much rover x 5 cost excluding all the accessories.
  • TomBent wrote:
    I am soory if I missed this, but where did you get the derailleur mast?
    Tnx, Lynn - TomBent

http://www.utahtrikes.com/PRODINFO-Dera ... Rover.html
  • pema wrote:
    Hi, how much rover x 5 cost excluding all the accessories.

It was a Black Friday sale item, about $100 off list.

Their list on the X5 is ... "That's not all though. We are also offering a front triple crank upgrade for only $150! That's right folks, you can have a 26-inch trike with 27-speeds for only $1299."

<http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKE-UTROVX5.html>;

@ Lessons Learned...

Doing it over, I would tell them to keep the rear wheel at 20", like the rest, but do the 27 speed upgrade. (It gives you options.) Should save you the cost of the 26" wheel, etc. and give you a good range of gear inches - 16.5 - 88.3.
    Unless you really can use those higher speeds, avoid the larger wheel. CPTBob's survey shows that most of us are cruising around 10-12 knots.

I have ordered the Lasco 152 mm short triple crank set to regain the lower gears - and higher: 16.8 to 104.0. I need gears below 1x1. Stay tuned on that mod.
  • It might be worth contacting the dealer and asking them if they will swap the 26" wheel for the original. That would put you right where you want to be, and the dealer would wind up with an extra 26" wheel. The mistake that I think some of the dealers make, is that they do not list the gear inches on the trikes they are selling. When I was shopping for a trike, I had to send emails to dealers to get that info.
  • Captainbob wrote:
    It might be worth contacting the dealer and asking them if they will swap the 26" wheel for the original. That would put you right where you want to be, and the dealer would wind up with an extra 26" wheel. The mistake that I think some of the dealers make, is that they do not list the gear inches on the trikes they are selling. When I was shopping for a trike, I had to send emails to dealers to get that info.

The 152 mm crank set is on order, so I get to see what it does for me. Should be worth an essay or two. I speculate that it might prevent me from over torquing the bad knee, which I can do with the current cranks.

Last resort is a 20" wheel. (I have paid for the 26" fender, etc.) The 20" Rover with 27 speeds calcs to 18-96 GI, which looks rather good. One less spare tube to carry, etc.
  • trailbear wrote:
    Captainbob wrote:
    It might be worth contacting the dealer and asking them if they will swap the 26" wheel for the original. That would put you right where you want to be, and the dealer would wind up with an extra 26" wheel. The mistake that I think some of the dealers make, is that they do not list the gear inches on the trikes they are selling. When I was shopping for a trike, I had to send emails to dealers to get that info.

Last resort is a 20" wheel. (I have paid for the 26" fender, etc.) The 20" Rover with 27 speeds calcs to 18-96 GI, which looks rather good. One less spare tube to carry, etc.

18-96 GI sounds just about perfect, nice low and a good high gear, probably higher than most new trikes have.