New Zoomer owner

edited August 2011 in Legacy Products
I just got a new Zoomer a week ago today.
I love it my normal bike makes my arm go numb and the zoomer is real comfortable.
I've put about 60 miles on it. I've used it to commute to work twice and hope to make that a habit.

So some questions:
1)Good upgrades...
Is the 26" wheel a good upgrade?
Are the better high pressure tires a good upgrade?
What else would you recommend I upgrade?
(I have flag, lights and bike computer already)

2)What spares should I carry with me?

3)It seems really unstable over about 25mph.
When Is set it up I set it with no toe in/toe out. After about 40 miles I checked it again and it had a bit of toe out,
I've reset it to have about 1/2 turn on the adjuster tow in.
Any comments on how this effects stability? Does the 26" wheel change stability?

4)The clamp that holds the tube with the pedal crank seems to slip a bit, if I get it in too high a gear at a stop light
and apply a lot of torque to get started so I can shift it rotates.
(I know ... Me:doctor it hurts when I do that ... Doctor: then don't do that)

Lastly a warning....
I was working on the alignment and was too lazy to go get my bike shoes so I rode around the block with my street shoes...
my fool slipped off the pedal on the down stroke hit the ground dug in and slammed back into the frame, no real damage just a nice bruise...
Going faster and I could see that being real "Bad"

Comments

• The 26" wheel is going to push your gear range up. You will gain some higher gearing, but will lose some of your lowest gears. Could be a good option, but if you live in a very hilly area I might rethink it.

The 100 PSI wheels are always a good upgrade. They allow you to inflate/deflate from 65 PSI to 100 PSI depending on what is comfortable for you. They also have a Kevlar strip in them to make them puncture resistant.

A mirror is a popular add-on as well.

If all 3 of your tires are 20" then I would just carry one spare tube. That's the most common practice I've found. Some people carry an idler and a the 3-way Y tools as well.

The reason the boom is turning is because most people, myself included, pedal with their whole body. The key is to practice keeping your upper body still when you pedal. This will solve the problem, but easier said than done!

Do you have the Power Grip pedals or SPD pedals on there? If not, they are a great way to keep your foot on the pedal without even thinking about it.

Hope this helps!! Happy riding :D
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • I believe the larger rear wheel helps with stabillity. At 25mph, you are getting close to your top gearing. The larger wheel also helps this out. Fenders for me are a must. They help keep the dirt off your back and arms. If you're commuting to work, do you have a rear rack? Just another practical accesory to have. As far as tires go, the higher the psi the lower the rolling resistance is. I hope this helps you out.
  • I was told that just a tad of toe in ( 1/16 of an inch) will make high speed handling more docile on most trikes. You need to adjust this while sitting on the trike or having someone with your weight in the seat. I also find that the adjustment on my trike never moves when I put a drop of blue loctite on the threads when I set the adjustment. Do not use red loctite.

Check out the Trike forum on BROL for much trike info. http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... y.php?f=13
  • Welcome to the club. I too recently purchased my zoomer and I love it. I got about 5 weeks of riding prior to winter setting in. This really helped me learn about the trike and what I wanted to do with it over the winter. Since I bought my trike used, there are some issues right off that needs addressing, you probably don't have the same issues though, so I'll stick to your concerns.

Fenders... first thing. I got caught several times in bad weather and unlike a bike, that wet strip up the back goes right up the neck and deposits lots of dirt in the hair. :shock:
    I also went with the 26" wheel extension. Only had it out once with limited gearing, but I noticed the increase speed achieved going down hill really pushed me further up the next hill nicely. I can hardly wait until I get the chance to really work out with this major change.
    High pressure tires really help, though you really feel the road; this is a sports car, not a limo. There are 12 lbs in my city and no schwalbe.... what I ended up with are ASM Animals 110psi tires. I'll probably chuck those for Kojaks before spring cause these things are 1.9 and just fit under the fenders.

I find with the stability, it's a learning process. The Zoomer can feel very twitchy at speed and rider input is usually caused by being tense and over compensating. You'll learn to relax and use tiny inputs, also the technique of spinning will help too. Captainbob is right with 1/16 toe-in, this is where mine is set.
  • I bought fenders , rack, mirror and (recently) high pressure tires.

So far I've only installed the rear fender , left mirror and the rack.
    I 've now used it to commute 5 times (Still have to ride home today so that will complete 5) ,
    I've just passed 100 miles (this morning) and I'm happy with my new trike.

I've done the commute 2 days each of the last two weeks and I'm working my way up.
    I hope to work up to commuting 4 times a week. My on the flat speed is starting to increase,
    alas the last hill is still rough.

The only ongoing problem is that I extended the pedals a bit beyond where I first set it up and now
    the chain is a tad short. So I need to put links back into the chain and switch to the HP tires.

I'm still debating the 26" wheel, I really need the present granny low gear for the last hill on the way home, so
    I'll probably stick to the 20" for awhile.

Paul
  • I agree with Kelli & Paul. The 26" will definitely change the GI range of the trike, by a very substantial factor. As this is winter, and I have nothing better to do than play, I have worked out a 3x9 configuration that will be very close to the granny gear with a 20" wheel, while extending my top end GI. This may be more than most wish to invest and not even necessary in a rather level environment, for the lower end. Just be aware that introducing the 26" with stock gearing will increase the gear inches of your ride.
  • edited January 2011
    To me, the only reason I would go to a 26" wheel, is if I was spinning out with the stock wheel. The stock high gear is 90", and that would probably allow you to pedal to the mid 20's, at which point many people coast anyway. I think not having a low enough gear is much more of a problem than spinning out at 30 mph, but that's just me.
  • i want to see different styles and quality wheels..

Maybe you can post some of the photos here..
    I am new here. I want to learn more.
  • Congratulations for having a new zoomer.

i am pretty sure you will enjoy having it.

Debt management
    Pet insurance
    I am new here. I want to learn more.