New Cruiser - a few questions

edited April 2012 in Legacy Products
Greetings, all!

I've just bought my new Cruiser. I had a half-hour test drive, and about a half-hour ride at home before tornado warnings made me quit!

While drooling over the trike at home, I noticed that the biggest chainfring up front has a few teeth ground down a bit. This may be due to accidents during test rides at the shop where I bought it, or maybe somebody just slipped and banged the ring on the ground while putting it away.

Should I worry much about it? I could post a photo somewhere if an engineer would like to see.

I'm short, and got the short boom. My shoes can bump the cross member if I don't position my feet properly. I'm sure those special bike shoes would fix that!

I'm interested in the 26-inch rear wheel, but don't know if I will need the lower gearing for hills. After a few rides I may get a better feel for that. Any 26-ers care to chime in?

Man, everybody looks at me on this thing. Lotsa thumbs up and grins. The biggest grin is on my face, though!

glad to be part of the insanity
Chuck.

Comments

• I have a Zoomer that I ordered direct with the 26" rear wheel and absolutly love it! I live and ride in the Northern San Diego area and we have HILLS! ( the only place for flat riding is along the beaches) I have no problem with the hills if they are really long and or steep just drop down a gear and keep spining. in 1st I avrage 4 miles an hour but have not found a hill it would not go up! if your concern is it would not be low enough try your steepest hill in 2nd or 3rd gear it would probably be the same as having the 26" rear wheel on it. ( the gearing on the zoomer and cruiser ar the same) Just one thing I should warn you about if you put on the 26" wheel watch your speed on sharp corners (lean in to them) on the Zoomer it has a narrow wheel base and can roll, if you forget haw fast you are going...( and yes I speak from experance I got mine last july and have 875 miles on it already) I hope this helps...also if you go to high pressure tires at lest on the front you will notice a huge difference in your rolling restiance. ( I run Schwalbe Kojaks on the front at 90 psi)
  • Thanks, Fred! That is exactly the sort of thing I wanted to know. This weekend I have a geocaching meeting in a huge park with some hills. I counted teeth and made a gear chart for myself, so I can "simulate" the new first gear with some existing gear. Not too many hills in this part of FL, except highway overpasses and the like.

Any users out there who put on the 26-inch, and wish they hadn't? Is it because of hills, or beacuse you never get into top gear on the big wheel?

I have learned that leaning is a good thing - no falls yet. Funny thing, if I really cut a turn hard the front wheels skid, resulting in understeer and thus probably saving my butt. Or head.

I will try high-pressure tires after the stock ones wear out, or if I get the big wheel I could switch to HP tires then.

If I haven't said it before, this thing is FUN! People stare, wave, shout out how cool it is. On a DF you just get ignored, or signaled with one finger. On the trike, you get one thumb....up! One kid on an electric Razor just drooled and yelled "awesome!" Last night's half-hour ride through the neighborhood didn't leave me tired, or numb in the hands, and no sore butt. I was buzzed, and had a huge grin when I got home!
  • Looks like you got your 26" wheel questions answered so I'll see what I can help you with on the rest of them.

As far as your heels hitting...you should see if adding a boom spacer (1") will give you the heel clearance you need without compromising your reach. Talk to your dealer.

I sent you an email regarding the chainring, but if you bought through a dealer you will have to take your warranty issues through them as well. If you would like to send me a picture I can have one of my mechanics look at it and give you our opinion though. I believe you already have my email address.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • According to Sheldons gear Calculator which I use all the time, the Cruiser with the stock low gear of 30t chainring and 30T freewheel with the 20" tires is 18.7" which is good for most any hill. If you change the wheel to a 26" wheel, now your low gear is 25" which is what my Rover 8-speed low gear is. Good for moderate hills but you wouldn't want to try anything that was really steep in my opinion. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/
  • I rode for a while last night with my GPS. ( I love my Colorado! ) Seems I spend most of my time between 12 and 14 mph in my flat, curvy street subdivision. So, the smaller wheel is fine for now. I can always jump up to the larger one later when I develop some muscles and learn to spin faster. Looks like I run about 60-80 crank rpm, if my math and gear selection memory is right. Cool thing on the Garmin: I can get a wireless crank sensor that will record right in the tracks I download from the GPS. Ain't technology sweeeet?

Thanks for the Zoomer note - I see the low gear on the cassette is 34, which gives you a lower gear than I'd have if I put the 26 on my Cruiser, with its 30 low gear. That's a pretty small difference, though, only 13%

As for my heels bumping the crossmemeber, all I really need is different shoes. I think the 1" extender would work, but might be a bit of a stretch. The medium boom was definitely too long, forced us to put the seat all the way forward. I have the seat back a two holes from full forward to get tighter turns. I can just barely make a U turn in our streets. The bike is wonderfully comfy right now, so I think clipless shoes are in the future. I might experiment with a spacer sometime. I could machine one to any length that is safe for use ( 1" or less, I suppose - there goes my warranty! )

C'mon, weekend! I'm planning to ride for a couple hours at least on the flat at home, and a few hours in a huge state park with some decent hilly areas - Jonathan Dickinson near Jupiter, FL.
  • chuckg wrote:
    I rode for a while last night with my GPS. ( I love my Colorado! ) Seems I spend most of my time between 12 and 14 mph in my flat, curvy street subdivision. So, the smaller wheel is fine for now. I can always jump up to the larger one later when I develop some muscles and learn to spin faster. Looks like I run about 60-80 crank rpm, if my math and gear selection memory is right. Cool thing on the Garmin: I can get a wireless crank sensor that will record right in the tracks I download from the GPS. Ain't technology sweeeet?

Thanks for the Zoomer note - I see the low gear on the cassette is 34, which gives you a lower gear than I'd have if I put the 26 on my Cruiser, with its 30 low gear. That's a pretty small difference, though, only 13%

As for my heels bumping the crossmemeber, all I really need is different shoes. I think the 1" extender would work, but might be a bit of a stretch. The medium boom was definitely too long, forced us to put the seat all the way forward. I have the seat back a two holes from full forward to get tighter turns. I can just barely make a U turn in our streets. The bike is wonderfully comfy right now, so I think clipless shoes are in the future. I might experiment with a spacer sometime. I could machine one to any length that is safe for use ( 1" or less, I suppose - there goes my warranty! )

C'mon, weekend! I'm planning to ride for a couple hours at least on the flat at home, and a few hours in a huge state park with some decent hilly areas - Jonathan Dickinson near Jupiter, FL.

If you are not using clipless now, I hope you are at least using Powergrips to hold your feet on the pedals. A leg suck injury, which happens if your foot slips off the pedal and the trike runs over it, can really cause major damage to your foot and leg.
  • chuckg wrote:
    I rode for a while last night with my GPS. ( I love my Colorado! ) Seems I spend most of my time between 12 and 14 mph in my flat, curvy street subdivision. So, the smaller wheel is fine for now. I can always jump up to the larger one later when I develop some muscles and learn to spin faster. Looks like I run about 60-80 crank rpm, if my math and gear selection memory is right. Cool thing on the Garmin: I can get a wireless crank sensor that will record right in the tracks I download from the GPS. Ain't technology sweeeet?

If you are not using clipless now, I hope you are at least using Powergrips to hold your feet on the pedals. A leg suck injury, which happens if your foot slips off the pedal and the trike runs over it, can really cause major damage to your foot and leg.
  • Thankee, Capn Bob! I will make a stop at the local bike shop to see if I can get the straps. ( oh-- that's what LBS means! ) ( leg suck injury? OUCH)
  • I picked up a pair of clipless shoes and pedals ( yeah, the clipless ones, where you clip in... :) ) and OH MY how different! My heels are now a good 3/4 inch from the crossmember at minimum, mostly due to the way the heel of the shoe is made. My feet fit the pedal perfectly. I have never used these shoes before, and the difference when pedalling is astounding. Kind of like the difference between walking and swimming.

I rode for about three hours over the weekend, mostly slowly so that my 8 yr-old could keep up. She now declares that she needds a bigger bike so she can go faster! Several folks stopped to ask about the trike. I should carry some flyers or biz cards or something. A couple of the people I talked with are avid riders, but medical issues keep them off a bike. The Rover would be perfect for them.

I did find one huge advantage the 26" wheel would give - it would keep the rear derailer take-up out of the sand, pine needles, gravel, bad bumps and stuff. I went through a patch of "sugar sand" and dug the back wheel in; the chain got covered. Ugh, what a mess to clean!

Kelli wrote me, and I sent in a photo of the big chainring teeth. she said no worry, so I'm not worrying. ( I notice I originally wrote "chainfring" ha ha.)
  • chuckg wrote:
    I might experiment with a spacer sometime. I could machine one to any length that is safe for use ( 1" or less, I suppose - there goes my warranty! )

We sell 1" spacers for $9.95 + shipping. You could add that to your boom and won't affect your warranty. You can only add one safely.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • chuckg wrote:
    I picked up a pair of clipless shoes and pedals ( yeah, the clipless ones, where you clip in... :) ) and OH MY how different! My heels are now a good 3/4 inch from the crossmember at minimum, mostly due to the way the heel of the shoe is made. My feet fit the pedal perfectly. I have never used these shoes before, and the difference when pedalling is astounding. Kind of like the difference between walking and swimming.)

Glad to hear you got the clipless pedals. You will never go back to riding without them......
  • Yeah, so I got the shoes. But, I promise...I won't shave my legs and learn Italian. (special prize if you know the reference)
  • Breaking away..

Im so glad you love the cruiser. I to get looks and waves. People really thought it was neat when I pulled my 8-10month old last fall.. I to had to go with the small boom. I have to were bike shoes. I can wear my flip flops for riding around camp ground

Forget everything if you don't do sprints with eddy

Marcus he ate my shoe..". Oay name that movie
  • That would be "American Flyers" a movie I watched just a couple months ago!

Boo hoo, got my first flat on the Cruiser yesterday...had to drag it home by the tail! Only 0.3 miles, luckily. Good thing for me it did not go out on the big downhill, while I was not pedalling and hit 24 mph! Got it patched up and rode 5.2 miles today with the wife and kid along on their bikes. A scruffy biker dude pointed at me and said "Now that is cOOL!" in his scruffy biker voice. grin!

I really must carry some TT flyers or something along. I have many people ask about it. My neighbor wants one!
  • My TT dealer had my Cruiser in stock with the 20 inch rear wheel. I put about 200 miles on the trike before the 26" upgrade came in. The upgrade lowered the BB an inch, and raised the seat an inch. Reasons to like the 26" upgrade includes knees lower and more out of sight while pedaling. My main reason was to get the RD and chain higher out of the dirt. Handeling and ride are improved. An lastly for no mechanical reason, I think the trike looks a lot better with the larger rear wheel.

Additional reason
    with a large rear wheel, and small front wheels, Im always going down hill!!!! :D