Bob Yak Plus Trailer

edited February 2011 in Accessories
Does the Yak Plus trailer that TerraTrike sells differ in any way than one I could pick up locally as far as attachment parts for my Rover?
Mark Pettit, riding the Markian Rover

Comments

• Nope...except that we send ours with TT love :D
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Thanks, okay then. . .
    Will I use the quick release provided by BOB with the trailer or do I attach it using the anodized nuts that are on the outside of my axle bolt (I have a 24" rear wheel on my Rover)?
    I'm asking because the trailer forks are wider than the axle on which I tried to attach them.
    I might just bring them both back to the LBS where I bought the Rover and ask them to deal with it, but it will be nice to know if you don't mind providing some advice how to attach the trailer.
    Thanks in advance!
  • The BOB trailer on a Rover or Path requires the axle nuts (BOB Nutz). The quick-release won't work on that axle. The rear axle of the Rover is more narrow that the BOB trailer forks. If you compress the BOB fork together, you shouldn't have an issue. We've never had the opportunity to try this.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • That is very helpful. Thank you!
    I'll let you know how it goes via another post after I try it.
  • The Yak works great after compressing its forks down so it will fit on the axle of the trike. I also had to move the mounts for my Terratrike Rear Rack to the inside of the dropout in order for the Yak to fit properly. I love the Yak and will be using it all the time, but I also ran into an issue with having to detach the Yak in order to attach an InStep kids trailer since I pick up my 2 daughters and all their gear twice per week from daycare. The InStep trailer uses a hitch mount that also interfered with the Yak, so I was going to have to spend much time detaching and attaching trailers throughout the week. On top of those issues, I ran into a cargo space issue the last time I picked up the girls because I'm carrying my own stuff as well as theirs. In order to try to kill all of my problems, I decided to try attaching the InStep hitch to the wheel on the Yak and making a train out of the deal. It worked splendidly, so I now have the Yak permanently attached and can quickly hook up the InStep (one lynchpin attachment/detachment) on the Tuesdays and Thursdays when I'll need it there. With the Yak and the InStep, cargo space is no longer a problem. It's one hell of a spectacle to see my train cruising down the road, but being a spectacle was one of the reasons I bought my Rover in the first place. I hope to link a photo of the train off the Terratrike gallery soon!
    By the way, I didn't think I would use it this soon into ownership of my Rover, but the customer service out of Terratrike staff members is as outstanding as I came to expect as I was researching them when I purchased my trike. Thank you for the quick response times via this forum and e-mail and the fantastic information that you supplied.
  • Thanks for the compliment! Our pleasure :D
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • you'll need 40 acres to turn that rig around !!!  I have a bob trailer that is now rusting away on the back 40, just because its dangerous, it has caused me and the trike to flip over a hand full of times when attempting uturns and sharp turns left and right,  i ditched it and went back to my home made 3/4 inch conduit trailer,

• on my homemade trailer my axle is dead center of the trailer, my next one I build it gonna be a little more to the rear so I can unhook and push/pull without stooping over, that was something I didn't think about until after it was built,

• the trailer I built was 3/4 inch conduit cost me about 4 bucks at home depot, used a hand bender to shape it, only a couple of welds where I mounted the wheels, and used a quick connect ball and socket I got at the nut and bolt store for the hitch, after it was built I towed a 200lb friend around the neighborhood on it and had no failures no bends and only complaint I had is its a flat bed,
  • in case your interested google has tons of info on homemade conduit trailers and many different types of hitch designs