gearing questions

edited April 2011 in Rover
I am an older woman and currently lazily ride a Diamondback Hybrid, but often ride 5 to 10 miles a day. I only use the first 8 gears out of the 24. I live in gently rolling hill country and sometimes I can't make it up a hill. I coast down hill. I am a wimp.

I would like a Rover8 but am worried that it isn't geared low enough for me. Any thoughts? Is there a way to get the whole thing geared lower? I am not sophisticated about bikes so I have no idea as to the gear range of my Diamonback.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• I'm 71 years old and live in very hilly Atlanta, and have the Rover 8 speed. I think you will find, that the low gear on your hybrid probably is not any lower than the low gear on the Rover which is 24".
  • I have been asking about the Cruiser and have a couple of threads going with my Cruiser questions. I do like the Rover though and like that I can at least break it down to store in my motorhome when I change seasonal locations. My worry with the Rover is the low end gearing. When I asked about gearing on the Cruiser Kelli suggested changing out the chain rings. I also need shorter crank arms and Peter suggested the 152 Lasco as part of this process. However, it would be really nice to be able to shift from a standstill so a non-derailler drive is something to consider.

I asked in the Cruiser section about the Schlumpf high speed drive which was an option on the Cruiser. However, it does not give enough on the low end to justify its cost and I don't need the high end.

How about the mountain drive? On the Bentrider forums someone said that they were going to get a Rover8 and if they had problems on the hills they would add a:
    Schlumpf Mountain Drive, and change the rear sprocket from 25 to 17. If I've done the math correctly, that will yield a gear inch range from 13-110 with no derailleur. (The TT Speed Drive option barely helps at the low end, though it adds a lot to the high end.) Another option would be a Rohloff, but that doesn't give as much help at the low end as the Mountain Drive.

Is this a possibility? Would it do as this poster suggests?
  • martha wrote:
    I have been asking about the Cruiser and have a couple of threads going with my Cruiser questions. I do like the Rover though and like that I can at least break it down to store in my motorhome when I change seasonal locations. My worry with the Rover is the low end gearing. When I asked about gearing on the Cruiser Kelli suggested changing out the chain rings. I also need shorter crank arms and Peter suggested the 152 Lasco as part of this process. However, it would be really nice to be able to shift from a standstill so a non-derailler drive is something to consider.

I asked in the Cruiser section about the Schlumpf high speed drive which was an option on the Cruiser. However, it does not give enough on the low end to justify its cost and I don't need the high end.

How about the mountain drive? On the Bentrider forums someone said that they were going to get a Rover8 and if they had problems on the hills they would add a:
    Schlumpf Mountain Drive, and change the rear sprocket from 25 to 17. If I've done the math correctly, that will yield a gear inch range from 13-110 with no derailleur. (The TT Speed Drive option barely helps at the low end, though it adds a lot to the high end.) Another option would be a Rohloff, but that doesn't give as much help at the low end as the Mountain Drive.

Is this a possibility? Would it do as this poster suggests?

The high speed drive only helps out on the high end, and on the Rover, I have yet to spin out the standard 79" gear, even at 25 mph, so unless you plan on riding faster than that, you probably wouldn't need it. The Mountain Drive would give you low gears, but Kelli posted on another thread, that they received so many complaints that the gears were too low, that they stopped selling it. The problem with going for a small chain wheel to get very low gears, is that you give up the high end, and getting over 12 mph is pretty difficult since you have to pedal at about 90 rpm.

One solution, that someone on BROL is going to do, is get a Nuvinci hub for the Rover to replace the stock hub. He is setting it up so he has a low of about 18" and a high gear in the low 70"s which is a pretty good range for most senior riders. Utah Trikes can set it up that way for you. The advantage to the Nuvinci, is the gearing is continously variable, so rather than having 8 or 9 distinct gears, you can micro-adjust it to any gear you want from low to high as you are riding.
  • Bob, with this hub what Rover to you put it on? The single speed, three or eight? BTW, Bob, Peter, Kelli and others, on here and BROL, you have been very helpful to me as I flail around trying to make a decision.

If I can set up a Rover to be easy, convenient, comfortable and good on rather steep hills, I am leaning towards the Rover where I initially started. Then, to deal with my really gravelly roads where I have a home up north I will get an excellent mountain bike with all the money I'd save getting a Rover instead of a fancy suspension trike . Maybe. :)
  • martha wrote:
    Bob, with this hub what Rover to you put it on? The single speed, three or eight? BTW, Bob, Peter, Kelli and others, on here and BROL, you have been very helpful to me as I flail around trying to make a decision.

If I can set up a Rover to be easy, convenient, comfortable and good on rather steep hills, I am leaning towards the Rover where I initially started. Then, to deal with my really gravelly roads where I have a home up north I will get an excellent mountain bike with all the money I'd save getting a Rover instead of a fancy suspension trike . Maybe. :)

I would give Utah Trikes a call, double check the gearing on that hub and they would most likely add it to the single speed Rover. I got my Rover from them, they set it up and ship it to you ready to roll.
  • the stock 32T crankset driving a Nuvi N360 w a 18T cog will give you 16.5 - 59.5apx chain inches CV. which tops 10mph @ 60RPM, 16mph @ 80RPM and 21 @ 120RPM. easy and comfortable to ride but not quick, low speeds more like beach cruiser but great on hills. I would give the Rover 8 a test ride first to see if the gear range is ok for you. If the bike you have is the Kalamar 7speed its low gear is 36 chain inch (calculated from Diamondbacks own data sheet) vs 24 on the Rover 8 which rather significant difference.
  • My hybrid's low is about 24. I can't do many hills and have to walk. Given my age it is going to be awhile before I am in decent shape.
  • martha wrote:
    My hybrid's low is about 24. I can't do many hills and have to walk. Given my age it is going to be awhile before I am in decent shape.

If you are sure that the gear on your bike is 24" and you walk up hills, the stock Rover-8 won't be low enough for you in my opinion. I would think about getting a Rover with a Nuvinci Hub or a 24 speed, or a Cruiser with a lower gear range. I am really impressed by the engineering in the Nuvinci Hub. http://www.fallbrooktech.com/08_NuVinciExperience.asp
  • Yes, I am pretty sure about the gear inches. I used an online calculator to figure it out, with the math checked by someone on BROL. That is why I figured the stock Rover won't work for me. :oops:
  • martha wrote:
    I am an older woman and currently lazily ride a Diamondback Hybrid, but often ride 5 to 10 miles a day. I only use the first 8 gears out of the 24. I live in gently rolling hill country and sometimes I can't make it up a hill. I coast down hill. I am a wimp.

I would like a Rover8 but am worried that it isn't geared low enough for me. Any thoughts? Is there a way to get the whole thing geared lower? I am not sophisticated about bikes so I have no idea as to the gear range of my Diamonback.

Thanks for any advice.

I am a heavy guy with a new knee. I have a Rover 8, which I love, 'cept for the fact that the low gear is not low enough for me. A cheap way to drop from the stock 24 gear inches, down to 16 gear inches~! TT may sell it, but I bought from Utah Trikes a "Lasco" triple crank with 152mm cranks (22/32/44) and took off the 32T, and the 44T chain-rings, leaving only the 22T chain-ring. $75.00 for the crank-set. Does the job for me, and I love it.
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • martha wrote:
    Yes, I am pretty sure about the gear inches. I used an online calculator to figure it out, with the math checked by someone on BROL. That is why I figured the stock Rover won't work for me. :oops:

It won't.

What will is the Utah Trikes 8DL version of the Rover with the 24 speed upgrade. Make sure you get 20" tires all around. The stock gearing is 16.5 - 83". That should work. If not, go to Lasco 152mm cranks and get 12.7 - 73.7"
  • Hi, Martha.

I'm a 59 year old woman. My husband and I have two Rovers with a triple crank in the front and an eight-cog derailleur in the back. They work fine for us for getting up hills, and they weren't anywhere near as expensive as those schlumpf or rohloff things. I don't really care for the idea of internal gearing, anyway. If something goes wrong, you've got a problem, ya know? Ashley Guy at Utah Trikes customed them up for us. As always, his workmanship and customer service were superb. You might want to talk to him. www.utahtrikes.com.

Kate
  • katekosar wrote:
    Hi, Martha.

I'm a 59 year old woman. My husband and I have two Rovers with a triple crank in the front and an eight-cog derailleur in the back. They work fine for us for getting up hills, and they weren't anywhere near as expensive as those schlumpf or rohloff things. I don't really care for the idea of internal gearing, anyway. If something goes wrong, you've got a problem, ya know? Ashley Guy at Utah Trikes customed them up for us. As always, his workmanship and customer service were superb. You might want to talk to him. http://www.utahtrikes.com.

Kate

There are things that can go wrong with a derailluer setup that can also leave a rider walking, and with the reliability of Internal hubs, it is pretty rare that one breaks. Terratrike has enough confidence in the SA-8 to have it pushing a Rover Tandem with 2 riders pedaling. That being said, if the gearing on a IGH isn't low enough for your needs, then the obvious and most economical choice is to convert to a derailluer setup.