Touring on a Rover 8?

edited March 2011 in Rover
Has anyone did a longish tour on a rover 8? I'd like a trike for touring, the high seat appeals to me greatly. How difficult is it to keep this in good repair? Are the hubs/wheels up to long highway runs of 100 miles a day? I don't know much about the internal hubs or trikes in general. I'm just looking for something much more comfortable.

Also can you outfit a rack and panniers somehow?

Thanks for thoughts.

Comments

• I am approaching 3,000 miles on my Rover and the only thing I have had to do with it is lube the chain every 500. I use Boeschield T9, on my chain, and have for years. Other than that, I have had zero problems with the Rover.
  • Easy to outfit with rack and panniers.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • I don't do long tours, but I ride at least 15 miles per day. I was just starting to consider, this morning on my commute, how much less attention the Rover needs in comparison to all the fine tuning it takes for my StumpJumper to ride smoothly and quietly. It is truly a maintenance free machine and such a pleasure.
    Mark Pettit, riding the Markian Rover
  • I've installed the 'preferred' rack (From TT), and panniers would go on it nicely.

That said - a minor thought? Are you willing to trade speed, and effort for comfort? It's been said, that most people go 3-4MPH slower when riding a trike than when riding a bike. Me, I do not care, comfort is king. If I could only do 50 mile days, it would not bother me. Just a point to consider?
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • Peter_C wrote:
    I've installed the 'preferred' rack (From TT), and panniers would go on it nicely.

That said - a minor thought? Are you willing to trade speed, and effort for comfort? It's been said, that most people go 3-4MPH slower when riding a trike than when riding a bike. Me, I do not care, comfort is king. If I could only do 50 mile days, it would not bother me. Just a point to consider?

My average speed over the same roads and trails is about 1 1/2 MPH slower on a trike than on a bike.
  • Peter_C wrote:
    I've installed the 'preferred' rack (From TT), and panniers would go on it nicely.

@Peter,
    I bought the rack bag that goes w/ TT's rack as well as the TT panniers. I am SUPER pleased with both. The rack bag, which is quickly detachable from the rack, has some fold-out panniers that are perfect for everything out of my pockets and the actual panniers are ginormous. I also absolutely love having the Terratrike logos all over my stuff!
    Speaking of TT logos all over, if only they would get in some XX (or XXX even) tee shirts in stock, I'd be wearing them all over the place (hint hint).
  • We have XXL long sleeve tees in stock! I might have a short sleeve one, but I'd have to dig for it if it's even there.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • kellib wrote:
    We have XXL long sleeve tees in stock! I might have a short sleeve one, but I'd have to dig for it if it's even there.

Dig for it and they will come! I've seen others post about the lack of larger sizes so I think you's guys will sell them if you start stocking them again. Please post a notice on the forums if and when you get any more. btw - we've never even heard of long sleeves here in the Phoenix, AZ area.
  • I've been begging Chonk over on the BROL forums to get some shirts, hoodys, etc for bigger people. I would pay in advance for 2-6 5XL shirts (or hoodys) and wait for them to come.
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • I think we are going to do a new batch of short sleeve tees in the next couple months, so I'll see what I can do ;)
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Thank you Kelli :) I bet you'd be surprised how many larger sized shirts you could sell, especially if you point it out on the website :)
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Would like to have a pocket,thanks
  • A pocket would be great, I agree - but I will take whatever I can get in my size~!

Thoughts:
    T-shirts (with pocket?)
    Hoody with/without zipper
    bright color?
    sweat-shirt (long-sleeved) for the fall?
    Logos of course
    ---
    Peter_C

---