suspension

edited May 2011 in Legacy Products
I first considered buying a Rover but decided that my area was too hilly and I'd need more top and bottom end on the gears. Plus, I thought the seat would be difficult to get in and out of on the Cruiser but it turns out not to be a problem. The cruiser I tried was very comfortable. My last issue concerns how well this bike travels on dirt. About 2/3 of my riding will be dirt trails and roads. I am also considering an ICE because of the suspension, but it is much pricier. I can't really tell if the suspension really matters enough to spend that much more. Anyone ride a terratrike cruiser on fairly well groomed dirt trails? Do you feel that the ride is harsh?

Comments

• I don't ride on dirt roads, but I'll give you my 2 cents :) The Cruiser is made with a steel frame so it is going to absorb a lot more road vibration than an aluminum framed trike. Also, if you upgrade the tires to the Schwalbe Marathons you have the option of changing your PSI from 65 to 100 to match the terrain you are riding on. Plus it has a Kevlar strip so it's puncture resistant. That being said, you should definitely get some input from people who ride dirt roads regularly.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • /wave

I ride my Rover on both paved and unpaved MUPs. Around where I live, the 'towpath' uses crushed limestone. I went to 'Big Apple' tires, the 20X2.00 ones, and *love* them~! Sorta like the poor man's suspension (grin).

Yes, bumps are still bumps, but between the flex of a great steel frame, and the cushion of the BA tires, I have zero issues riding the towpath (course, pavement is faster though).

Hope this helps?

PS - you may wish to check out the BROL forums, they have an entire section just for trikes~! http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • The stock tires on the Rover and Cruiser which are the 20 x 1.75 CST's and 40 PSI which is the recommended pressure give a pretty cushy ride on dirt roads, which I ride on occasionally. I would try it with the stock tires, and you can always swap them out later or when they wear out.
  • For what it's worth, the Cruiser with the stock tyres is fine on dirt tracks, towpaths etc in 'Dear old Blighty'. I found some skinny things at 100psi to send the wife racing with on Sunday (http://www.bhpc.org.uk). That was like wooden wheels, but quick. First time they'd seen a TerraTrike too. Really it's the combination of the frame, soft-ish tyres and mesh seat.

It was only on a very heavily rutted (tractor damage), off-piste section that she struggled as having three lines of approach to every obstacle uses a lot more of your brain. :)
  • 3 years ago I purchased 2 path bikes and a month later traded them in for 2 cruisers. We go everywhere, roads, dirt trails, gravel-- no problem-- the only thing we have difficulty is steep hills due to the low gravity. I am open for suggestions on how to make it to the top of the hills
    We have a 12 year old who has a regular bike and have done stunt ramps, speed bumps, etc.... these are one tough bikes. I LOVE THESE BIKES!!!
  • Just purchased my trike today and tried one out on gravel, regular road and also asked the knowledgeable salesman (who is a trike cyclist) about riding dirt tracks and etc...

He did mention that some people put a "meatier" tire on the back for traction if needed but for what I'd be doing I probably wouldn't need it. He also said that experimenting with the tire inflation can either give me a softer ride or a quicker ride, depending on what comfort I was looking for.

I have very steep hills around here and my entire commute is either up or down. :roll:
    I found during the try out that if I rode with the seat inclined back further that it really gave me an opportunity to use my butt muscles for more oomph. This position of the seat does require a head rest for the best comfort but since I'm not sure how much I'm going to use the lower position I'm waiting to purchase the head rest.
  • I found during the try out that if I rode with the seat inclined back further that it really gave me an opportunity to use my butt muscles for more oomph. This position of the seat does require a head rest for the best comfort but since I'm not sure how much I'm going to use the lower position I'm waiting to purchase the head rest.

Just wish to mention something you may not have thought about?

I have knee issues - 8 knee surgeries to date, and one complete replacement called 'frank'.

When you use the seatback to help push on the pedals, you want to be careful about both how hard you are pushing, and, how slow you are pedaling. You know the saying; a chain is only as strong as the weakest link - and in this case it is your knees. If you ever notice any pain under the knee-cap, or just above the knee, you are cranking too hard for your knees.

I am *not* any kind of Doctor, and, everyone is different. This is only a cautionary statement for you to keep in the back of your mind. On an upright bike, all you can do to crank harder is stand on the pedals (your weight) and push/pull with your arms - but on a trike, it is like doing leg presses - you truly can push about as hard as you like.

I love my Rover~!
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Thanks PeterC. I'm careful, since I already have disabled arms. I'm also 48, which means things aren't as supple and powerful as they once were. I'm not going to push anything beyond my capability. My knees are still fairly pain free and want to keep them that way! Thanks for the "frank" advice! :D
  • Hehe :lol:
    ---
    Peter_C

---