gear inches

edited May 2011 in Legacy Products
I am looking at buying the Cruiser. I live in a hilly area. When I look at Terratrike chart for gear inches I see this available on the Cruiser:

16-116 Gear Inches With High Speed Drive (2.5 Overdrive) 27 Ring & Stock Cassette

Otherwise, stock is 18 through 90.

What is this option about and what does it do to the cost? I would like the lower end of 16 (or even lower, I'd love 10 to 15) but don't need the high end so much. Any other way to get a lower end?

Comments

• The Schlumpf HSD will add anywhere from $600-$700 to your cost. It doubles your gears and kicks your gear range out really far. If you are just interested in getting some lower gearing you can add a 26T chainring up front. That will run you $30 and I think you will be happy with the results.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Kelli, that is very helpful. Because I don't need the high end this should work out well. I'll talk to the dealer about it.
  • Because I am very short (4'11") I am wondering if I should get a smaller crank size than the 170. Any thoughts? The dealer of the Ice bike suggested it. The Terratrike dealer said that a 165, which is also available, is such a small difference that he was doubtful that it mattered.
  • Shorter people have found it quite helpful, so have him order you up a pair.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Check into the 'Lasco" 152mm crankset that Utah Trikes (and TT???) sells. If it will fit on the Trike you are looking at, it would be wonderful. It uses 22/32/44 for the chain-rings, and cost is bout $75.00

My Rover only uses a single chain-ring, so I took off the 32T and the 42T and it lowered my gearing nicely.

Just a thought?
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • Thanks Peter for the idea.
  • martha wrote:
    I am looking at buying the Cruiser. I live in a hilly area. When I look at Terratrike chart for gear inches I see this available on the Cruiser:

16-116 Gear Inches With High Speed Drive (2.5 Overdrive) 27 Ring & Stock Cassette

Otherwise, stock is 18 through 90.

What is this option about and what does it do to the cost? I would like the lower end of 16 (or even lower, I'd love 10 to 15) but don't need the high end so much. Any other way to get a lower end?

18-90" is a pretty good range and should handle average hills with little problem. The lowest gear I have ever had on any bike I owned, in almost 60 years of riding, is 17.7" and I live in a very hilly area.
  • I'd respectfully disagree CaptainBob. I commute daily in a very hilly area. I recently dropped the bottom out of my gearing by getting a 165mm full mountain bike 22-32-42 up front. I also got a "Megarange" cassette in back with a 34T cog, AND I'm running the stock 20in wheels. That brings my gearing in at 12-71. @90RPM, I can still sustain 19MPH on the top end. That's plenty for me, and seems to be plenty for most. Reading the Cruiser speed thread shows most folks averaging 10-12MPH.

On the low end, I use gear #1 on a daily basis...my gearing is perfect for aggressive hill commuting.

FWIW, I'm tall (6'5") but I still like the shorter cranks. I think 160mm would probably be perfect for me, but they are hard to find. 165's are relatively easy to find and seem to be working well.

Best of luck,
    G
  • I'd respectfully disagree CaptainBob. I commute daily in a very hilly area. I recently dropped the bottom out of my gearing by getting a 165mm full mountain bike 22-32-42 up front. I also got a "Megarange" cassette in back with a 34T cog, AND I'm running the stock 20in wheels. That brings my gearing in at 12-71. @90RPM, I can still sustain 19MPH on the top end. That's plenty for me, and seems to be plenty for most. Reading the Cruiser speed thread shows most folks averaging 10-12MPH.

On the low end, I use gear #1 on a daily basis...my gearing is perfect for aggressive hill commuting.

FWIW, I'm tall (6'5") but I still like the shorter cranks. I think 160mm would probably be perfect for me, but they are hard to find. 165's are relatively easy to find and seem to be working well.

Best of luck,
    G

You are pretty much echoing what I said. I mentioned that the 18-90" will handle "average" hills. For very hilly areas, the low gear would depend on how steep the hills are in your particular area. Where I live, 18" should handle just about any hill around. If I was in the Mountains in Vermont, I would want something lower than that on a trike.
  • It's all about two things - the 'engine' and the hills. Since my engine is so poor, a granny gear of 16GI is not low enough for me, and I am not doing any serious hills either. Any/all statements can only be taken with a grain of salt. Comparing me to Captainbob is silly, as he is a fair bit older than I, yet he can ride circles around me. So, what is good for me, would be silly for him, and so on...
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---