new owners, lots of questions

edited July 2013 in Tandem
Do I need to move the rear seat supports to move the stoker's seat back?

What kind of speedometer do people use? Where do you mount it?

Anybody take theirs apart and put it back together on a regular basis?

We have power grips. Should we really get clipless pedals? I have small, wide feet....
Thanks!
Lauren

Comments

• You can change the seat stays if you want a different angle on your seat, but you don't have to.

We use the Cateye computer and we mount it up front with a SwingGrip mount. It's a wireless computer.

I don't personally take them apart and put it together, but I've heard that once you do it a few times it can take as little as 10 minutes.

If you get clipless pedals I always recommend the type that have clips on one side and standard pedals on the other so that you aren't stuck wearing your "special" shoes if you don't want to.

Hope that helps!
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • You probably have quite a few of your questions figured out by now. Personally, we wouldn't ride our tandem, without clipping in. One slip off the pedal with your foot, while at a high speed, and you can do some very serious damage to yourself. After nealry 2 seasons with Shimano SPD's. i switched to egg beaters. It really helped with my numb foot issues.
  • Why hello there! Welcome to the forum, firstly. I am new here as well though have been around for quite a long time now.

To answer your question, they are provided to run great as is and any modification that you might think would be useful would actually be based on what you want done with it. I mean, it would not matter how you are going to do it, but just be sure you are to work on levels you are comfortable with.
  • I just bought a gently used tandem pro (we love it), it does not have the IPS. The problem I have is the front chain is not properly routed at the idler sprocket of the stoker's bottom(?) bracket. It shows chain rub on the side of the idler's bracket, what is the proper routing of the chain? Is there a diagram available?
  • Not much help on the chain routing, we have a rover. We're tandem riders on whidbey island and love riding the trike tandems. We use the iPhone with cycle meter for a computer, uses the GPS. We have lots of info on our blog http://tandemriding.blogspot.com but mainly the lesson learned, is that trikes do well on rail trails, both paved and unpaved. We've adventured onto the unpaved with skepticism but have found a new joy in these trails.
  • wberry wrote:
    I just bought a gently used tandem pro (we love it), it does not have the IPS. The problem I have is the front chain is not properly routed at the idler sprocket of the stoker's bottom(?) bracket. It shows chain rub on the side of the idler's bracket, what is the proper routing of the chain? Is there a diagram available?

I wold suggest you give one of our techs a call here to discuss. Improperly routed chain can and will eat up idlers quickly and greatly reduce your performance.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • I'm also a ham radio operator and we use an older Garmin 350 for bike speed/data/mapping. It also provides position data output so my radios can beacon our position and path and other data to the internet: http://aprs.fi/w5aox-2
    You can look at various views of our setup at http://jimsabqbicycleblog.blogspot.com/ . I fabricated a flat aluminum bent mount for the front post of the trike to hold the radio and GPS at "dashboard distance" between my legs as I pedal. I wired the bike frame with good quality ZIP cord from back to front with quick disconnects at the joint in the middle of the trike so all can still be separated for travel when we need that. I mounted a cheap Chinese headset and helmet microphone in my cheap bike helmet, which also has a transmit button mounted on the right front handlebar/yoke so I can do "hands free" radio operation at times. My wife/stoker cannot hear me from the stoker seat while in motion unless I turn my head around, so I'm interested in finding Bluetooth helmet communicators so we can more easily talk while riding. Currently we must usually shout to be heard while pedaling.
    That said, my wife back in the stoker seat cannot see around my backside to view any of the "data" so we will soon get her some kind of bike computer so she can enjoy seeing how fast (i.e. downhill with terrific tailwind) and slow (all other times) we go.
    We have a basket on the rear of the Tandem Pro to carry our doggie in; we do not ride without her constant supervision and company. We carry a pannier on either side of the rear bike rack, with extra water, food, spare tube, tools (our trike is high maintenance), and other odds and ends. We like our "junk" and are not out to set speed or distance records but enjoy being prepared for whatever we encounter on the streets or trails.
    We ride with dual full length bike flag poles: Modified to serve as radio antennas as well as provide increased visibility. Your mileage might well vary-