26" Front Wheels

edited January 2013 in Accessories
I'm trying to decide what model+options TT to buy, and would like to know what the pros & cons would be for putting 26" wheels on the front as well as the rear.

Thanks!

Comments

• We don't put 26" wheels on the front. Only the rear.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • I meant that I was considering swapping out the front wheels, myself, after purchase.

Another way to pose my question would be: why doesn't TT offer 26" front wheels? I can't think of a reason why larger front wheels would be a bad idea, but you're the experts; is there something I'm missing?

Thank you.
  • I meant that I was considering swapping out the front wheels, myself, after purchase.

Another way to pose my question would be: why doesn't TT offer 26" front wheels? I can't think of a reason why larger front wheels would be a bad idea, but you're the experts; is there something I'm missing?

Thank you.

I had read a discussion about this a year or two ago, and it was reported to make the trike very difficult to move though doorways or transport, and rather tippy.
  • i'm not sure if there would be any advantages to switching to 26" front wheels but one big disadvantage would a loss in turning radius. i have yet to see any tadpole trike with anything larger than 20" wheels up front and that's including homebuilts.
  • The advantages I'd expect would be additional height (for visibility, both mine & others of me), and whatever advantage bicyclists derive from using the largest wheel which doesn't prevent them from stepping over the frame (I'm a noob WRT cycling tech, & Google results are swamped by discussion of how to determine the size of an existing wheel)

I don't see how changing the wheel diameter would affect turning radius. The turn should be a function of the relative positions of wheel-road contact points and the angles between the three; three 26" wheels should have the same road contact points as three 20" wheels (discounting the slight aft movement of the rear for dropout extension), and (based on a visual inspection from pictures on the site) it appears that the same range of steering angles would be available. What have I missed?

I could certainly imagine how larger wheels might increase the steering force required to achieve a certain steering angle for a given ground speed (more angular momentum, even accounting for lower angular velocity), which could alternatively be framed as a reduction in turning radius for a given steering force. Am I on the right track?
  • Think about it... larger wheels up front will reduce the trike's turning radius- ANY trike. Do you really want LESS turning radius?
    Just a thought.
  • They claim that 26" wheels will tend to fold under hard corning on a trike. I have a home built with 26" wheels that have given me no problems, but I am not into hard cornering. I also don't believe that they offer any advantage over the 20 " wheels on my Rover or my Cruiser. The 26" wheels weigh more and come closer to you in a turn, so contact with feet or legs is more likely. My homebuilt is a 21 speed and needs all of them to allow for easy hill climbing and speed. I used 26" wheels on the front for two reasons, first it was the least expensive option and second I wanted to see if they rolled any easier. I don't think they make any real difference in rolling resistance.
  • If you using the 26" wheel on your trike then you will only find problem to ride because trike turning radius gets reduce. Why do you want to fix 26" wheel in your trike? Are want do some stunt or what. Just be happy what you have.
    discount fixed gear bikes