Disc brake. I need help !

edited August 2011 in Rover
Hi

It's regarding the rover's brake

I have only 1200 km and now i have nearly no more brake

I used the two adjustments to the maximum

There is something more that can be done ?

Do i have to change something.

It's my first bike with disc brakes !

Gillis

Comments

• Did you get your trike from a dealer or us? The reason I ask is because if this is a warranty issue you have to go through who you bought it through. I'll email our tech guy your question and get back to you.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Dicone wrote:
    Hi

It's regarding the rover's brake

I have only 1200 km and now i have nearly no more brake

I used the two adjustments to the maximum

There is something more that can be done ?

Do i have to change something.

It's my first bike with disc brakes !

Gillis

I'm sure Kelli will get back with you, but while you are waiting, you may want to look at the cable slack you have on the brake. New cables stretch, and if you have the barrel adjuster on the brake itself and the one on the brake lever, turned all the way out, and it still won't grab the disc, you have too much slack. Just screw the two barrel adjusters almost all the way in, loosen the clamp nut that clamps the end of the brake cable to the brake arm, pull on the end of the cable to remove as much slack as possible, and retighten the clamp nut. Make sure that nut is really tight, you don't want it to slip when you apply the brakes. Any decent bike shop should be able to easily do this, if you aren't the mechanical type.

This video about the 3:45 mark gives some tips on adjusting the 2 barrel adjusters, but as I said, if you have too much cable slack, you need to remove that slack first. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibooat0iQ9c
  • Captain Bob's advice is correct. Here are a few notes from our tech guy:

When he adjusts the actuation side of the brake caliper, is he maxing out the adjuster barrels? Or is he loosening the screw that holds the brake cable in the caliper and pulling on the cable while moving the adjuster arm back? The latter is the best thing to do.

Give us a call to speak with a tech if you still are at a loss!
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Hi
    I am back to my home and i have take the time to look a the Rover brakes.
    First of all thanks for your your fast reply .
    To be sure that i have read carefuly your reply and take a look to the video
    After some time at looking to the brake system i have found the following.

First: On both brakes, the piston side is too far away from the disk, the pads can't reach the disk.

Second: On both brakes. The caliper is not parallele with the disk.

Third: On the left brake i had to reposition the "small arm" at the cable end to find a good piston displacement.

I have remove as much slack as possible and I have make all the needed ajustment on both brakes.
    The brakes work well now.
    I will end up with a question.
    What pads do i need to replace the brake pads ? I dont have find this information on the Rover's manual.

Thanks for your collaboration.

Gillis from Montreal
  • Dicone wrote:
    Hi

What pads do i need to replace the brake pads ? I dont have find this information on the Rover's manual.

Thanks for your collaboration.

Gillis from Montreal

Call Terratrike, and you can order the pads from them...
  • Just to confirm, did you realign your brakes and then got them adjusted?
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • Zoom brake pads.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Peter_C wrote:
    Just to confirm, did you realign your brakes and then got them adjusted?

Yes Peter. Now the calliper is correctly positioned and i have removed the cable slack. The next time i will take a look at the pad wear.
  • Dicone wrote:
    Peter_C wrote:
    Just to confirm, did you realign your brakes and then got them adjusted?

Yes Peter. Now the calliper is correctly positioned and i have removed the cable slack. The next time i will take a look at the pad wear.

I replaced my brakes with BB7's at about 3300 miles. There was still plenty of wear left on the pads.
  • Yuppers, BB7s are a wonderful upgrade, I so am glad I installed them.
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • edited August 2017
    I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if BB7's are the same size pad that is on the Terratrike site? Is Zoom the manufacture? https://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/tt000231.htm
    I have Rover 7 speed. I purchased it in June of 2016.
    https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO71iDp7SNEnUDA3mIt7IANDDksV2WXn-jrPOxu
  • edited August 2017
    You probably have Alhonga. Pads available from TT. But not listed on TT site. You have to call them
  • I am trying to support my local Bike Shop, and I was going to have him order them, but without removing the pad, we don't know what to order. Someone out here must have replaced theirs, so I was wondering what I should have him order. Manufacturer and part number? Thanks for the help.
  • Irisch wrote: »
    I am trying to support my local Bike Shop, and I was going to have him order them, but without removing the pad, we don't know what to order. Someone out here must have replaced theirs, so I was wondering what I should have him order. Manufacturer and part number? Thanks for the help.

Have your shop call Terratrike and they can order the pads from them,