Questions from a future Path Club Member

edited October 2011 in Legacy Products
Hello everyone, I've been lurking the forums for a few days now while I save my pennies for a Path 8. The wife won the Rock-Paper-Scissor tourney so she gets her Rover 8 first (sometime in the next 2 weeks). I figured that since I have about a month to wait, that I would ask some questions and prepare for ordering. We will be doing mostly trail riding (lots of Rails2Trails in Ohio), but my wife is interested in doing some touring as well in the next few years. Here goes:
1. As far as accessories/additions here is my order of priority, am I missing anything... clipless pedals/shoes, fender(s), luggage rack, upgraded tires, flag(s), mirror(s). I put flags/mirrors low on the list since for the first month or so we will be exclusive to non-motorized trails, so being seen/seeing others isn't an issue.
2. My only complaint about the Path is the twisting of the gripshifter and how difficult it is to see the numbers. I plan on upgrading to a bar end shifter asap. Any suggestions for brand/model? Most that I've seen online come in sets for front/rear derailurs. I've looked everywhere and have only found one specifically made for the Sturmey-Archer 8 speed hub. I'm sure my LBS will be able to hook me up, but I like to research as much as possible first.
3. Any SW Ohio trikers out there?

I'm sure more things will come up as these questions get answered. Feel free to answer any of the questions or completely ignore me, either way I'll still be hanging around here passing time until I can order and drooling over everyone's pictures (keep 'em coming).

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any answers.

Yetisnack

Comments

• Not quite SW, but near Akron here...

/wave
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • Hello Yetisnack,

Welcome to the TerraTrike family!

Just a suggestion - but flags and especially mirrors - should NOT be put at the bottom of the list. Trails can be more dangerous than roads in that a lot of passing and being passed by other riders. MANY riders do NOT notify you prior to passing you on the trail. It is very important to check your mirrors to be aware of approaching riders.

I can't tell you the number of times that I have drifted left or turn to say something only to have some "Lance-wanna-be" buzz by me going a bazzilion mph. Jeez - I could have run right into them. Also, turns and such that can obscure view of oncoming cyclists. Flags do help on the trails as well.

We ride almost exclusively on trails. All of your typical safety equipment is just as necessary there - maybe even more so.

I will add that you may also want a bell or horn to add to your accessories as well.

Caryl
  • yetisnack wrote:
    Hello everyone, I've been lurking the forums for a few days now while I save my pennies for a Path 8. The wife won the Rock-Paper-Scissor tourney so she gets her Rover 8 first (sometime in the next 2 weeks). I figured that since I have about a month to wait, that I would ask some questions and prepare for ordering. We will be doing mostly trail riding (lots of Rails2Trails in Ohio), but my wife is interested in doing some touring as well in the next few years. Here goes:
    1. As far as accessories/additions here is my order of priority, am I missing anything... clipless pedals/, fender(s), luggage rack, upgraded tires, flag(s), mirror(s). I put flags/mirrors low on the list since for the first month or so we will be exclusive to non-motorized trails, so being seen/seeing others isn't an issue.
    2. My only complaint about the Path is the twisting of the gripshifter and how difficult it is to see the numbers. I plan on upgrading to a bar end shifter asap. Any suggestions for brand/model? Most that I've seen online come in sets for front/rear derailurs. I've looked everywhere and have only found one specifically made for the Sturmey-Archer 8 speed hub. I'm sure my LBS will be able to hook me up, but I like to research as much as possible first.
    3. Any SW Ohio trikers out there?

I'm sure more things will come up as these questions get answered. Feel free to answer any of the questions or completely ignore me, either way I'll still be hanging around here passing time until I can order and drooling over everyone's pictures (keep 'em coming).

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any answers.

Yetisnack

I can't see the numbers while riding my Rover either, but after about an hour, you just know what gear you are in and don't even look at the numbers anymore anyway. Why not try it with the standard SA shifter for awhile, and you may find that you really like it.
  • Thanks everyone for your responses. Turns out that I sold a couple of pieces of hardware on Craigslist, so now I don't have to wait... Going to call the LBS tomorrow to buy the trikes (they have both in stock ready to go).

Caryl - Thanks for reminding me that even trails have their dangers, but I still think that clipless pedals/shoes are my #1 accessory priority. The bike trail near my house is 67 miles of old, flat, straight railroad that has been paved over. Most sections are 10-12 feet wide with plenty of passing room and not a single motorized vehicle anywhere to be found. We will be towing the bikes on a flat trailer to the parking lot for the trail, so no road riding at all. The bells will be coming from our existing uprights. I am not saying that those items aren't necessary and fully intend to get them in the next month or two.

Cap'n Bob - I will give the stock shifters a shot. I've been biking for many years and most of the time I do just shift based on my what feels 'right' for the situation. My only concern with being able to see what gear I am in is that this is my first experience with an internal hub and I'm going to have to get used to being able to downshift while at stop signs. Being able to see that I am at the bottom of the range would be helpful for the learning process.

Again, thank you everyone for the kind welcomes and I look forward to getting to know all of you better through our adventures.
  • Just remember, shifting only while stopped, coasting, or, worst case only lightly pedaling - weird, but that is the key to a happy S/A hub.

For some ideas for the future, feel free to look through my photos - they're not a 'Path', but rather a Rover - but still, tires, upgraded cables, BB7 brakes, small changes - stuff to think bout.
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • yetisnack wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Turns out that I sold a couple of pieces of hardware on Craigslist, so now I don't have to wait... Going to call the LBS tomorrow to buy the trikes (they have both in stock ready to go).

Cap'n Bob - I will give the stock shifters a shot. I've been biking for many years and most of the time I do just shift based on my what feels 'right' for the situation. My only concern with being able to see what gear I am in is that this is my first experience with an internal hub and I'm going to have to get used to being able to downshift while at stop signs. Being able to see that I am at the bottom of the range would be helpful for the learning process.

Again, thank you everyone for the kind welcomes and I look forward to getting to know all of you better through our adventures.

What I do when coming to a stop, is just to go all the way down to first gear, when stopping or while stopped ( counterclockwise on shifter). Then just start off. After awhile you will know how many gears to shift up or down automatically and won't even think about it.
  • Have you gotten your Trike yet? Fill us in as you progress on finding and buying your trike please?
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Yep, picked it up a little over 3 weeks ago. I've already put about 500 miles on it. So far I am loving it and look forward to going riding every night. The Wife isn't quite as thrilled with her Rover. It's not the Rover's fault, she just isn't much for exercise. My goal is to get us conditioned to do a 6 day bike tour through the Niagara Falls region for our 40th birthdays (2 years from now). I figure we need to be able to comfortably do around 25- 30 miles per day.
  • Photos please~!
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • How did I know that was coming... I will try to get some today, but the digi-cam has been on the fritz lately.

A few days late, but here goes. These were taken in the late evening with my cellphone, so they aren't the best quality.

Full view (ignore the overgrown weeds in the background... the landscaper has been too busy riding his new trike):
    IMG_20110823_202348.jpg

Right side view:
    IMG_20110823_202608.jpg

Left side view:
    IMG_20110823_202538.jpg

Boom view (while seated):
    IMG_20110823_202714.jpg

Boom view (from front):
    IMG_20110823_202733.jpg
  • I agree that the flag and mirrors should be the first thing to be added to the Trike. But a helmet should be up there too. I use a skateboard type helmet as the most likely
    way for me to be injured is getting hit by a car or high speed bike.