Tires and valves

edited August 2011 in Rambler
I'm curious as to whether the tires that come on the Rambler will have Schrader or Presta valves? Anyone know? :?:
Fran
Rosie "Rambling Rose"
TT Rambler

Comments

• Hello? hello? anyone there?
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • The Rambler uses the same rims and tires according to the spec sheet as the Rover, so I would think that they would be schrader.
  • Thanks, Bob. That's what I'm hoping but a reassurance from someone at TerraTrike would be nice. Only 3 weeks till the end of August. Hopefully I'll have my Rambler to show off on the holiday weekend when my family comes to visit.
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • I'm with you, Fran. Not that it really matters. I'm going to have UT drill out and debur anything remotely resembling Presta. Finding 20" Schraeder tubes is a breeze (can we say BMX??), but 20" Presta tubes just don't seem to exist around here. I'm going on possible three days without riding, and the withdrawal is getting to me!!
    I Have My Rambler, SUNNIE!
    My Noob Blog - frontfendersngum.com

IGP1323-Th.jpg
  • vegasrenie,

Can't the tire you have now be patched? That should get you riding again. Patching a tire is very easy. The little patch kit at Walmart comes with everything you need accept the pump.

Caryl

PS - I thought Rovers came with schrader valves??? :?
  • Sorry about the delay! I tried to post the other day and for some reason it wouldn't let me. Anyway, the valves will be Presta as far as I know. My answer guy is gone until Monday, but I'm 95% sure on that. If it turns out differently I'll let you know.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Thanks Kelli.

PRESTA valves are no big deal. Actually, once you become familiar with them, they are quite nice.

Regarding availability - If you are going to change a flat by replacing it with a new tube (which I do - much easier) then you need to have the new tube with you when you go out for a ride.

If you do not have a local bike store, the tubes can easily be purchased online and shipped right to your door.

Personally, I have had literally DOZENS of flats (three trikes). In fact, my record day was having to fix 5 flats in ONE DAY. Believe me - I understand the frustrations of having flat tires. One day in the beginning I almost threw my trike in the canal, out of frustration of yet another flat and could not get my rear tire back on...

My unsolicited advise: Because eventually, you WILL get a flat tire.

-LEARN to fix a flat tire. - Maybe even practice changing a tire at home (before you get a real one)
    -Buy spare tubes NOW so you will have one when you need one.
    -Carry the tools you need to change a tire with you at all times.

Flat tires are an inevitability of riding a bicycle. But if you are prepared to fix them and get on your way - they don't have to ruin your day.

It is easy to change the front tires on a trike - you don't even have to remove the wheel.

ChangeFrontTire.jpg
    I've had to fix flats so many times, I found something to carry with me to prop up the back for tire fixing...
    ChangeRearTire.jpg

Changing a tube/fixing a flat is very simple and easy to do. Take just a little time to learn how to do it you will be glad you did.

Professor-professor-teacher-education-smiley-emoticon-001091-large.gif

...gets off of soapbox...
  • kellib wrote:
    Sorry about the delay! I tried to post the other day and for some reason it wouldn't let me. Anyway, the valves will be Presta as far as I know. My answer guy is gone until Monday, but I'm 95% sure on that. If it turns out differently I'll let you know.
    Thank you, Kelli. Now I know to get a pump to fit. Or maybe adapters.
    Fran
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • The guy at the LBS told me yesterday that the only people who bought 20" tires with Presta valves were recumbent riders and BMX racers.

After this little adventure I decided to have UT drill my rims for Schrader. Period. The juggling of the adapter for the Presta - I have a perfectly good, *new* foot pump and see no reason to toss it for one with a Presta nozzle - is just not worth it to me. Schraders can be found anywhere, in my opinion less likely to fail because of user error, can be pumped up at the local gas station if you've gotten a flat close by, and are reliable. They keep the air in your tires okay, don't they?

Two things I've learned in the last few months of trike adventures: I absolutely love direct steer and loathe Presta valves.

YMMV :)

IGP1323-Th.jpg
  • One more thing - Caryl! Where did you get the "trike stand"?

IGP1323-Th.jpg
  • Vegasrenie wrote:
    One more thing - Caryl! Where did you get the "trike stand"?

Amazon, Pop-Up Safety Cone with Storage Tube
  • Caryl,
    I love the "jack" you carry to lift up that rear wheel.
    Imma get me one too.

Cute...
    ;) :P ;)