Couple of Cruiser Qs

edited August 2011 in Legacy Products
Well I think I've pretty much settled on the Cruiser as my choice for my first trike! :D I have to admit I was swayed by other imports, specifically the tw-bents artifice which can be had on eBay for less than $1200 delivered. However that doesn't come with a lifetime warranty from a company that has been in business for a 15 years and counting. I'd rather pay a little more to know that (good lord willing) the company will be around, and I won't have to call a separate country code to speak with someone.

That being said, I do plan on eventually upgrading the cruiser with some different gearing options down the road. What all is involved with say...changing to a mountain triple crank set on the front end? I assume it's just like any regular bike right?

Also I think I prefer the trigger shifters over the twist grips due to bad thumb joints leaving me little gripping strength. Again, just an easy switch out right as long as the parts are compatible? The Path I test rode had triggers and I really liked that.

Does anyone use the waterbottle mounts that TT sells mounted the the seatback? Is it easy to get to while still pedaling?

That's all I can think of at this second, but I'm sure I'll have more.

Thanks,

Justin
TerraTrike Cruiser

Comments

• Hello jleiwig, WELCOME!

Sorry for the delay in posting as I'm away on weekends...

I have a Cruiser almost two years now. I too bought it with the idea that I can upgrade easily at my convenience. I can, but I really have not found the need to so far. ;)

Actually, that is not entirely accurate. I actually service three TT Cruiser trikes and I did "upgrade" one so far as the owners chain came off while climbing a steep grade and the derailleur got broken. SO, we upgraded the derailleur and replaced the cable . Everything on the trikes is very straight forward and will be SIMPLY to upgrade. It would have been a breeze to replace the shifter (I wish I had thought of it) at the same time.

That being said, until November 2009, I never had or worked on bikes of any kind. In the spring of 2010 I built a trike work stand and have since done ALL of the tune ups and such on these trikes. (I've also upgraded a TT Rover) and I'm a GIRL.

THAT is just how easy it is for you to work on these trikes!
    trikestand.jpg

As far as the TT water bottle holders, I have not used them but I have used something similar on the seat backs. They work fine but I would NOT use that location for my primary bottle. I would use it to carry spare bottles. I am going to mount one up on my mirror post though - that would be THE most user friendly location for a water bottle. I'll put up a pic when I do it.

Caryl
  • I'm a Rover owner, but AI have swapped out my crankset to a 'Lasco' 152mm triple 22/32/44 and found it to be very easy to do. Prior to my Rover I have never worked on a bike or trike at all.

You can find all the details in a very long post I made in the Rover section.

http://www.terratrike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=735
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • jleiwig wrote:
    That being said, I do plan on eventually upgrading the cruiser with some different gearing options down the road. What all is involved with say...changing to a mountain triple crank set on the front end? I assume it's just like any regular bike right?

Also I think I prefer the trigger shifters over the twist grips due to bad thumb joints leaving me little gripping strength. Again, just an easy switch out right as long as the parts are compatible? The Path I test rode had triggers and I really liked that.

You can upgrade to a mountain triple crank, although we will have to special order it. We can also do trigger shifters or bar end shifters.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Thanks Kelli. I'll be ordering through Fairfield Cyclery, so that's why I was wondering.

One more question that I'm sure I know the answer to. If I put the Utah Trikes steering modification on the Cruiser, I would have to grind the frame where the right hubmount hits. This will void the lifetime warranty correct?
    TerraTrike Cruiser
  • YES, you will have to grind IF you want to take full advantage of the mod. It is actually a very small notch.

Not sure about warranty.
  • caryl wrote:
    YES, you will have to grind IF you want to take full advantage of the mod. It is actually a very small notch.

Not sure about warranty.

Have you done this mod? Is it worth it?
    TerraTrike Cruiser
  • I put the Utah Trikes steering modification on my Cruiser, I had to grind the frame where the right hubmount hits. I am not sure about the lifetime warranty
    It was not that hard to do. It took me about 1 hour to do the plate and then to true the wheels
    The down side over 25 mph the steering is a little touchy
    “May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.”
  • jleiwig wrote:
    caryl wrote:
    YES, you will have to grind IF you want to take full advantage of the mod. It is actually a very small notch.

Not sure about warranty.

Have you done this mod? Is it worth it?

Yes, I have done this mod and I do think it is worth it. ;)
  • Thanks for the opinions everyone! I will add this to my list of future mods. My main reason for doing it is that I'm a bigger guy and I can't get full turning now due to the steering arms hitting my thighs. Ashley said that I would get more turning out of less movement so I wouldn't hit my thighs. I may just do it and not grind the frame at all. Something about grinding on a $1500 bike just doesn't sit right with me, at least not at first! :o
    TerraTrike Cruiser
  • You will still have a huge advantage even without the notch!
  • I was trying not to reply - because I do not own a Cruiser, and felt I had nothing positive to say...

So, here I am anyhow.

To me, the lifetime warranty is SO important, that I will do nothing that will void it. I am an 'uber-clyde' - down to 340lbs, and I think if anyone will break a frame, it'll be me :(

I do understand the desire for a smaller turning radius - in that, being a Rover owner is a plus - but I just couldn't void the warranty for that reason.

I guess, I'd try living with the stock turning radius for a while, and see if it drives me nuts, or not first - then go from there.

Just a thought? I am sure you have well-thought-out reasons for going with the cruiser, but, do you know that through UTT (Utah Trikes) you can get a Rover set up with whatever gearing you wish? That way, you get the 'direct steering', which gives you the tightest turning radius of all the TT products?

So, *if* you are thinking cruiser due to gearing, you *could* get the same set-up on the Rover.

Course, the Rover is NOT a sports car, but rather an SUV (of trikes) - and to some, that's a turn-off. (am not trying to say the Rover is the only way to go)
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • You should see if the bike shop will do it for you because grinding on the trike does void the warranty! Fairfield orders through us so if it's something you know you want done right away they could order it that way and we can do it here at the shop. We sell the steering brace and we think it's awesome!
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike