Spare Parts Kit

edited July 2013 in Accessories
Any plans to sell a spare parts kit? While transporting mine and my wife's trikes last night, the bolt that attaches the seat riser to the frame must have vibrated loose on her Rover. Fortunately I had a zip tie in the car that I was able to use as a temporary replacement. The whole ordeal has me thinking about putting together a small parts toolbox with extra nuts, bolts, seat pins... It would be great if the terratrike folks sold such a thing instead of me having to try to find each piece and paying non-bulk rates for them. Just a suggestion.

Comments

• That is kind of a good idea...

I have had to go replace a couple of bolts already - a seat bolt was the first. I have kept all of my extra nuts, bolts, pins, etc. (just in case) in my TOOL pouch I have on my bike. I carry a lot of tools with me now BUT they have proved to be very helpful already.

It would be nice if you got a little "care package" with the purchase of the trike - kind of like getting a spare button on your sweater ;)

The problem with buying something like that would be (for me) $5. for the parts and $9.99 for the shipping :(

It would even be nice to have a "shopping list" of the sizes of nuts and bolts used so it would be easy to go to Home Depot and ask the folks there for help.

Caryl
  • Which bolt did you lose, the Quick release that holds the clamp to the frame, or the two small hex head bolts that attach the seat to the bracket above the quick release? The latter bolts should have some blue loctite on them to keep them from loosening. I make it a habit to periodically check all bolts and nuts especially on a new trike, and if the bolt should be torqued, I tighten it with my Park Torque wrench.
  • Cpt. Bob - It was one of the hex nuts, but had the drive been any longer I probably would have lost the seat pin and 1/2 the arm as well since the pin had come 1/2 way out. I know now to check them before putting them on the trailer. For a few of the 'key' bolts I am thinking about switching over to red loctite just to make sure I don't lose them again.

Caryl - I understand the concern about the shipping cost being more than the item, but going to the local hardware store and buying one or two pieces at a time would be more expensive. Case in point the replacement hex bolt cost me $1.00 each. I'm sure since Terratrike is buying these bolts in larger quantities they are getting them cheaper. I'd be willing to bet they could sell each bolt for .50 and still make a nice return. The fact that I lost a bolt isn't their fault and I don't blame them at all. I just think that it would be great if they offered some kind of spare parts kit as an accessory.
  • I can tell you that I have (by writing Kelli) gotten spares of little odds and ends.

Anything I have asked for, I have gotten. The only hitch I have found is it's best to put together an order as the shipping (for me) has been bout $9 bucks each time, so buy multiple stuff :)
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • yetisnack wrote:
    Cpt. Bob - It was one of the hex nuts, but had the drive been any longer I probably would have lost the seat pin and 1/2 the arm as well since the pin had come 1/2 way out. I know now to check them before putting them on the trailer. For a few of the 'key' bolts I am thinking about switching over to red loctite just to make sure I don't lose them again.

The bad part about using red loctite is that it really is permanent and if there is ever a reason to have to undue that bolt, you would need a blow torch and possibly damage the frame finish in the process. I would stick to the blue, and just re-tighten it periodically.
  • I forwarded the suggestion on the guy who would be responsible for it. I'll let you know what we come up with!
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Thanks Kelli for your fantastic support.
  • So...if we had a spare parts kit that was individualized to each trike, what would you want in it? Be as specific as possible. We have some thoughts of our own, but you the riders know best!
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • For the Rover -

"missing links" - 2

Complete bolt and pad setup for the seat bottom bracket

grenade pins - 2-3

Extra set of nuts, washers, special washers, etc for the rear axle.

2 each, every legnth bolt used on trike, with enough washers, nuts to complete set-up

1-2 extra chain tubes

2 extra window decals (please) - Hey, would you as a kindness, send me two more of them?

2 spare spokes sized for the stock TT wheels

extra set of the plastic clips for the seat cloth (male and female)

2 sets of the oil-impregnated washers for the front-end

One Terratrike T-shirt 'Gold' - sized for the customer (order some 5XL please)
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • This is what I would like in my spare parts kit.
    - 2 of every size nut, bolt and washer used on the trike (not 2 of every one, just 2 of every different size)
    - 2 extra seat adjustment pins
    - 3 valve caps
    - 1 set buckle (like the ones used on the Rover seat)

These seem like the things most likely lost/broken.

Thanks for listening!
  • Window clings are $2.95/each. You can order as many as you like! I won't even charge you shipping for them Peter :)
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • kellib wrote:
    Window clings are $2.95/each. You can order as many as you like! I won't even charge you shipping for them Peter :)

What is this "Window Cling" you speak of... :o I think I must have some!!!! Are they for car windows?

Please tell me more!

Caryl
  • They are indeed for car windows. Just says TerraTrike. We also have them stuck on a couple of our shop windows as well. Wherever your heart desires :)
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • kellib wrote:
    Window clings are $2.95/each. You can order as many as you like! I won't even charge you shipping for them Peter :)

Gee, I thought they would be free since I am giving you advertising :)

Either way, please send me two of them?
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • If I gave away everything that said TT and advertised for us we'd go out of business! I just put an order in for 2 for you Peter. I'll use the credit card we have on file.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Thank you Kelli :)

Gotta try...

/wink
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • all that peter c. listed of course.

would also like to see some of the smaller components available as well. for example the brake lever adjusters, and the regular fender retention clips and screws that go into the fenders.