Dynamo hubs and TerraTrikes

Does anyone here know of anyone using a dynamo hub for lighting with their TerraTrike? Not a bottle dynamo, a dynamo wheel hub.

If so, which wheel, dynamo, trike combination is working?
Which wheel has the dynamo hub - front/rear?
Any problems, particularly with respect to safety concerns?

Any plans for TerraTrike to offer this as an option/upgrade?
TT Cruiser (me)
TT Rover (Dad)
blog: http//cruisingtiger.wordpress.com/

Comments

• We are not looking at this as an option. I can ask our purchaser if it is an option to special order though.
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • From my answer guy:

"No, I don’t know of any that are compatible with our hubmounts. Most dynamos that I am familiar with are front wheel hubs with quick releases and none that I have seen have 20mm axles, which we use exclusively. Therein lies the problem. They simply are not compatible with our hubmount/axle requirements. I don’t know of any rear hub dynamos."
    Kelli B
    Sales, TerraTrike
  • Question? Are bottle-type dynamos not any good? Am just wondering myself?
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • kellib: Thanks for the information. Not great news for me, but it is what it is. I appreciate teh response.

Peter_C: Bottle-type dynamos have the disadvantage of stressing/wearing the tire sidewalls. Whether that is an important consideration, to you, or not probably depends on your tires' sidewalls in terms of material, strength and possibly tire pressure.

Having used both a hub dynamo and bottle dynamo on bikes I had in the past, I would prefer to use a hub dynamo if at all possible.
    TT Cruiser (me)
    TT Rover (Dad)
    blog: http//cruisingtiger.wordpress.com/
  • You can easily get a SON Dynamo Hub for HP Velotechnik products. You can also special order a SON hub on ICE, Greenspeed, Anthrotech, and Toxy trikes.
    Are you guys sure there's no solutions for an American tadpole? Why are we Americans falling behind on this?

:cry:
    This is very bad news.
    I'm looking at commuting trikes, and a good deal of riding will be early or late enough to need really good lights without the worry of keeping batteries for them charged.
    Up until now the Rambler had been winning the race due to the gearing combined with being tall enough to make mounting/dismounting easier on my shot-to-heck knees.

I'm sure a manufacturer-produced package would be popular--sell the entire wheel, hub and all, ready to replace one of the wheels on standard trikes.
    putting a dynamo hub in both of the front tires would enable tourers and commuters to power lights and recharge the plethora of electronic devices common today like cell phones, PDA's, mp3 players, and GPS units.

or, if we can't get hub dynamos, how about brackets to fit (ick) bottle dynamos?
  • Of course it's a case of different strokes for different folks...but those of you who haven't used wheel powered lights...

I have used them many times during the 15 years I bike commuted to work, and in winters both ways were in the dark. While great while making progress, if I stopped at a stop sign or traffic light things would quickly get dark...just when I wanted to be readily seen. So I always augmented with battery lights, and eventually gave up on the dynamos completely. But this was long before the lower electrical draws of LED lights, so maybe modern setups charge a capacitor to keep the LEDs on when stopped, at least for a while.

Paul H
  • well, after some more looking around, the SON hubs have a max weight of 120 kg. that's only about 260 pounds. I'm a heavy Clydesdale, I outmass that by myself.
    another alternative could be a bracket to mount a sanyo NH-T10 dynamo in the fork of the rear wheel. It wouldn't produce enough to recharge accessories and the like, but it would be enough to run a nice bright head and tail light setup. I've seen pictures of one mounted on a trike without a fork (windcheetah) using a terracycle idler mount.

Also, there may be some more work in the spoke-mounted generator if the Sunup eco takes off. We'll have to wait and see on that.

@prhkgh: most modern dynamo powered lights have decent capacitors to feed the lights while you are stopped.

Edit: the more pictures I see, and after hearing back from the fellas at Utah Trikes, I should be able to mount a clip for the Sanyo--and as a lower cost alternative it's a two-fer. The Rambler is back at the top of the list for commuting. now back to budget and finding a good route to work :)
  • @Claggart: Any luck with the sanyo? I am considering this myself for my Path 24 and would appreciate any information you might have.
  • I too am wanting to read more of what you have learned on this topic?

Also, about the SON hub? That weight limit is for the one wheel - not the entire trike, so unless you are over the 400+ mark, I think it's safe?
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • >>>Also, about the SON hub? That weight limit is for the one wheel - not the entire trike<<<
    As long as one keeps all the wheels on the ground at all times, what would be the fun in that? (less hair = more air)

I was thinking about putting dynamo(s) on a BOB, or a Burley - putting lights in the front, lights in the back and way in the back a dynamo hum. (she had a bet with her sister...)

Maybe a fork off a little kids bike (12") and a lever bolted to the chainstay so that the thing didn't even touch the ground when it wasn't actively charging. Then you could use the much cheaper Shimano dyno. The big difference between the expensive German and the cheap Japanese seems to be the amount drag when not churning out juice, does it not?
  • Two of us, who are consultants  / Industrial Designers and Business Process / Manufacturing Engineers and who own Sportsters, are now on our second pair of prototype onboard dynamo kits in development for TerraTrike Sportsters,  model year 2013 onward. 

We developed this setup for ourselves. We mentioned Sportsters and 2013 forward, as these are the only Terra Trikes that we know. We would consider, once we get up and running, creating a modified kit for other TerraTrike Models.

We have been steadily "debugging" this kit. as we have tested this kit daily for most of a year on a 16 mile each way commute over rutted RR rights of way access roads, 8%-10% grade up and down bike paths, gravel / dirt/ ballast roads, poorly aligned sidewalks and  potholed city streets. We have also tested this on the very sharp grades of the Blue Ridge Parkway and the long downhills at 30-35 MPH and more, in WVA on weekends.

We are posting this announcement today, March 29, 2017, as we want to gauge the demand for a manufactured kit of parts, based on this project, to be shipped directly to end users to install.

The kits will provide the following functions: 
    1) Electrical power output
    2)Voltage regulated power
    3)Backup battery
    4) Capacity to drive LED lights + iPhone (thats what we had to test) + Garmin GPS 1000. 

So far we have been able to hit the European output standard of at least 6 volts on the illumination side and the USB standard of 5 volts. The total capacity is approximately 3+ watts. 

This is not a 3-D Printed assembly that we have KickStarted. 

We took our own money and with our combined 75 years of automated design and automated manufacturing expertise, designed the parts and paid for them to be made.

This is a complete new design manufactured out of aluminum and stainless steels configuration.

This is not a resale of the Chinese manufactured, mostly stamped metal plus plastic  products that you see in the dark corners of eBay.

Our delivered, via the USPS 48 states price, is in the range of $379.99 to $399.99

Our next and probably final reliability test is that we are going to subject our third and last, refined version to the 8 days, which will include the ride back to get our automobile, "Ride the Rockies" for roughly 500 miles and 32,000+ plus feet of climbing on roads in Colorado, this coming June.

Please post that you are interested, and if what TerraTrike Model you would be interested in. 

Yes our first version is for the Sportster, but if there are lots of individuals who are interested in this kit for other models we will consider making such kits.

Also let us know if the price of $379.99 to $399.99 for a robust manufactured product, that is completely metal, as in made of aluminum, stainless steel and copper (for the dynamo windings) is of interest.

Thank you for your consideration. 
    About the picture.....<div><br></div><div>I got here on my 12th Hand Assembled Frame of December 1967 Schwinn Paramount, because TeraTrikes were not then allowed in the week long charity cycling event in the Colorado Rockies..  <div><br></div><div>T<span style="font-size: 10pt;">hey are now, and this is where I'll be in June 2017</span></div></div>
  • I took a solar panel and mounted it above the rear rack. 20w 12vdc for 50$. I used Velcro to a aluminum frame with a battery hung under the frame. I charge two gopros, cell phone and four lights two front and two rear. I haven't had to charge a battery in 9 months.
  • Agreed that a solar panel works, but we were concerned about the drag, the solar panel affecting the ability to carry gear, theft of the panel in a city environment at DuPont Circle,  and the just holding up in daily hard use of rolling along on DC metro pot holed streets, the shortcut of the RR access road along the blue line, which is rutted RR  ballast, that ducks under I-495, and the washboard, pretty corrugated dirt road near VanDorn. 

And of course the stretches were, due to urban traffic, you have to ride on a double wide sidewalk, which is the bike path, and the joints don't line up at all, and you take a pounding for three miles.

Welcome to urban commuter triking that we tackle daily .
    About the picture.....<div><br></div><div>I got here on my 12th Hand Assembled Frame of December 1967 Schwinn Paramount, because TeraTrikes were not then allowed in the week long charity cycling event in the Colorado Rockies..  <div><br></div><div>T<span style="font-size: 10pt;">hey are now, and this is where I'll be in June 2017</span></div></div>
  • DC Guy, I recognize those areas even though I never rode my trike there.  Bike riding in DC is really big.  If my only option was not Hwy 50 west of I-495, I might have tried it. 

The solar idea is awesome.  I had never thought of that. Where do you park your trike while at work? 
  • Florida_bound 

There is  way west that roughly, and I mean roughly parallels Route 50, in Eastern VA.

The 45 mile long, Washington & Old Dominion Rail trail starts from a trail (Four Mile Run Trail, named after a creek, because "run" is what they call short creeks.) that, itself,  starts a block from the Metro Station right at Reagan Airport, in Alexandria, and to doge cars the sidewalk is wide enough to allow TerraTrikes..

W&ODRR Trail parallels Interstate 66 for a  while, as I-66 took the RR right of way.

But then the trail goes on it's own, and goes past Leesburg to Purcell, VA via Reston, VA, which gives you a connection to a trail that leads to Great Falls on the Potomac, and ultimately to White's Ferry, which is a privately owned rope pull river ferry, since the civil war, and it drops you across the Potomac into Maryland.

So if you flew into Reagan with a "Traveller" and your luggage was in the form of Panniers, you could pedal from there to  just about anywhere in Metro DC, because Reagan is right on the Potomac River Tail System from Mt Vernon to Way north west.

And yes, there is a complicated way to take a non street ride all the way out to Dulles International

When we use the term "non street way" we mean to stay off the streets, and only on bike paths or the double wide sidewalks with  curb ramps that are everywhere.

And it is the sidewalks that give the TerraTrike a pounding, as it is like running on a poorly leveled clickity clack RR track that is not made of 1/4 mile welded rail.

Which is why, we ended up with our non 3D printed, made out of metal, onboard dynamo solution.

Note about Route 50, it actually goes from Ocean City, MD to Sacramento, CA. 

• Where I park my trike, depends on who I am visiting that day / week.  

I'm a senior cloud architect, with almost two decades of cloud experience, and my clients are a mix of private sector and agencies of the Federal Government and are all over the region.

Note that Metro DC is transitioning away from being an all government town into a mix or private and public entities, analogous to Boston, which is a broad mix of government and private sectors.
  • I was there from 2009 to 2015 working for the Air Force Medical Service.  The government is moving out because GSA told them to reduce the amount of leased office space.  And, the lobbyists are taking over the town!

I didn't buy my trike until 2014 and would only ride on weekends around the Fairfax County Government Center.  I never got an opportunity to ride any of the trails but I had a coworker who rode his bike from Vienna to Arlington and later to Falls Church every day, rain or shine.

My son still lives in Lorton.  If I was desperate to ride the DC trails, I could go visit him.  I'm not there yet. Too many great weather days and opportunities to ride in Florida!
  • Florida-bound

You know there is a non road trike route from the Alexandria area on the DC Metro bike trail system to Lorton, but it is like finding the fabled "Northwest Passage."

On that route, there are even spots in the county parks system where you have to ford creeks, as part of the route.

So the next time you visit him, you could wind your way north, then east, and have an adventure.

Note the DC Metro definition "non road." 

We have found that with a trike, let alone bike, it is best to stay off of any roads, that do not have a clearly defined bike lane.  This is because DC Metro drivers are extremely distracted, thanks to illegal use of smart phones, because in DC, everybody is important, plus are habitual speeders, and are extremely hyper aggressive.

Thus, you often see, them just turn right in front of you, as they "didn't see you"  Well heck, they weren't even looking at the road. 
  • When you move out of DC, your blood pressure automatically drops 20 points.  It's wonderful!