Rambler Report

edited April 2012 in Rambler
Well I got everything installed. I went out for a 2.8 mile ride just to see how it went. It's hot already.
Found that gears 4,6,7, and 8 are noisy compared to 1,2,3,and 5. Didn't get one of the struts for the trunk rack. And the L shaped bracket for the computer sensor wasn't close enough to the magnet. Put a brass plated L bracket from the hardware store on and that works. I'll need to paint it black. James at TerraTrike is sending me the strut and says "yeah, some of the gears are noisier. Not a problem unless they aren't working in some way".
And I think I may need to adjust for my x-seam differently. They set the seat as far forward as it goes and the boom out about 15 inches. So I'll have to move the boom in and shorten the chain to adjust it shorter for me and so I'll have a little room to move the seat forward or back. I measured my x-seam at 38.5 but maybe I got it wrong enough that what they set it to is too long. So tomorrow I'm getting out earlier for a longer ride before I change anything. We see how it feels.
Fran
Fran
Rosie "Rambling Rose"
TT Rambler

Comments

• Congrats Fran. I am really looking forward to my vacation but I also am excited to get back home so that I can have my Rambler. Enjoy. :D
  • Pictures, Pictures, come Fran stop teasing us and post up some more Pictures :P
  • edited September 2011
    caryl wrote:
    Pictures, Pictures, come Fran stop teasing us and post up some more Pictures :P
    You got it. Camera is ready if anyone wants any detail. Still deciding on which decals.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/PanhandleF ... directlink
    Changed the name of the album and added more pix!(9-17)
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • Up early this morning 5:17! As soon as it was light enough to see I put on the black coffee decals, gathered my stuff together and at 7:10 I was riding! I went for a total of 12.98 miles. The trip time total was 1:28:39 and about 52 minutes in I stopped at a friend's house for a potty break and to show off Rosie. That took 45 minutes then homeward with a headwind and the sun came out and things got warmer. My average speed was up tho(8.78), as was my average cadence(67). Still not sore. Very pleased and I've got the grin! :D
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • Congratulations on your new ride.....
  • Very sweet~! As for the hub sounds, it *is* normal. Without trying to explain it in detail I can't (LOL), the easy version is, you have different 'gears' in use as you shift from one gear to another, for me, fourth gear is the loudest, and 5th gear sound quieter, but 'whirly' - so it's a way I can tell what gear I am in just by listening.
    ---
    Peter_C
    TerraTrike Rover W/N360 by NuVinci
    http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/Peter_CC/Peter_C Trike Album/

(copy and paste into your browser) to see ---> My Trike Photos
    ---
  • tick

tick

tick

tick

:D
    I Have My Rambler, SUNNIE!
    My Noob Blog - frontfendersngum.com

IGP1323-Th.jpg
  • Looking at your pictures, you might want to think about putting a second mirror on your trike on the right handlebar. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=908
  • Captainbob wrote:
    Looking at your pictures, you might want to think about putting a second mirror on your trike on the right handlebar. http://terratrike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=908

Yes, I would like to but need a few other things first- a bag or trunk box for my stuff, a chain for when/if I go somewhere and want to leave the trike outside, a camera chest strap to keep my camera from flopping around, a jersey or two (wicking-one for warm weather and one for cold weather). Oh AND the money!
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • caryl wrote:
    Any ETA Renie?

Friday? Maybe Monday? Late this week/early next week.

Look for a comparison on my blog between the Rambler and the Rover. I love the Rover, so it'll be nice to do an up-close-and-personal review of both trikes from a noob's point of view!

Thanks to Chonk for letting me keep the Rover a little while longer so that I can do this!
    I Have My Rambler, SUNNIE!
    My Noob Blog - frontfendersngum.com

IGP1323-Th.jpg
  • Looking forward to the comparison with the Rover. I'm trying to decide between the two. Thinking 8 speed internal hub which is available in both bikes.
  • Another trip today on my local roads. 15.36 miles,1hr 37 minutes ride time,average speed of 9.44 and max speed of 19.22,avg cadence of 67. Definitely easier on the Rambler than the Sun, lighter, faster, less searching for the right gear. And FUN! Saw a deer, a turtle and a horse and donkey. All were interested in me except the turtle. Some clunking in 4th gear, need to check if my cable has stretched. Hope ya'll are getting in your miles of smiles.
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • Congrats on the new trike Fran and thanks so much for the pictures they are great! I think the color is wonderful and very unique, the turtle was probably thinking you were part of the scenery camouflaged in a new shade of green. :)

With regard to the x-seam measurement, just curious, what is your total height? I am 5' 5" and submitted 42.5 as my measurement for the Rambler I ordered but looking at your seat position in the picture it appears the position your seat is in would fit me. Now I am not sure I did the measurement right.
  • ATL wrote:
    Congrats on the new trike Fran and thanks so much for the pictures they are great! I think the color is wonderful and very unique, the turtle was probably thinking you were part of the scenery camouflaged in a new shade of green. :)

With regard to the x-seam measurement, just curious, what is your total height? I am 5' 5" and submitted 42.5 as my measurement for the Rambler I ordered but looking at your seat position in the picture it appears the position your seat is in would fit me. Now I am not sure I did the measurement right.
    As to the color it's a very subtle green, I wasn't sure I'd like the orange and trying to coordinate colors. So green it is, sort of like cream of asparagus soup.

I'm 5'3" first thing in the morning and shrink a bit as the day goes on. I have a long torso for my legs. I measured my x-seam at 38.5.
    I wondered about the position of the seat and boom also. I thought it was out too far and the seat is all the way forward. But when I'm in the seat I tend to move forward till my hip joint is at the edge of the seat and free to move up and down while pedaling. It doesn't feel like I'm coming out of the seat at all, just comfortable. I measured the boom length and it is set at about 15". There is room to just stand between the pedals and the cross bar and a couple inches between my heels and the crossbar when pedaling. I may eventually move the seat back and the boom in but for now it seems to work perfectly. Less knee pain than on the Sun which is adjusted as short as it will go. Actually no pain at all. I'm plotting new longer explorations of the area, tho' some may involve some limerock roads instead of pavement. :mrgreen:
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • My knee pain seems to sneak up on me. Do not notice so much during the ride, but rather after the ride if I've been pushing it too much.

I too seem to slide down a touch in my seat - to change the angle of my hips - at first I thought it was because I didn't have the seat positioned correctly, but have found I am both more comfortable, and seem to get a smoother pedal stroke this way.
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • Started out this morning in a windbreaker over my t-shirt and long bike pants covered with sweats. Had to peel out of the windbreaker just around the corner after the first hill. There wasn't room in the bag for the sweats so I kept them on. Was wishing I had shorts on by the end. Personal best of 16.43 miles with an average speed of 8.46 and cadence of 68. Some head winds or I might have been faster. Not all pavement today, some graded lime-rock that wasn't too potholed or gravelly about halfway then back to new pavement. I'm gonna look for some of those pants that zip off at the knee for days like today. At least six deer in two different sightings. They don't let me get close enough for pictures. Folks around here eat them!
    :mrgreen:
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • Hi Fran,

A BIG thumbs up for the zip off pants!!!!!! I love them. They are the best for triking.

I got some nice ones at Gander Mountain.

Caryl
  • I discribe the noise a pop corn on my path 8. Saw a rambler up close today and don't mean to hurt "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' It's a moose ok. :D
  • Great, get on the Rambler Forum and make negative comments about it's looks...... :( Classy......
  • bentcrazy wrote:
    I discribe the noise a pop corn on my path 8. Saw a rambler up close today and don't mean to hurt "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' It's a moose ok. :D

I think Moose are AWESOME!!!!

My father use to say - "If you have nothing good to say - say nothing at all"

bentcrazy - there really is no call for this comment here :roll:

Caryl
  • caryl wrote:
    A BIG thumbs up for the zip off pants!!!!!! I love them.
    Caryl

I LOVE them too, and the women inside them~!

Hehe - just *had* to reply to that one!!! :twisted:
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • HEHE :geek:
    ---
    Peter_C

---
  • bentcrazy wrote:
    I discribe the noise a pop corn on my path 8. Saw a rambler up close today and don't mean to hurt "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder' It's a moose ok. :D

I couldn't disagree more!! I went to the local Terratrike dealer this morning to buy a pair of foam grips for my wife's trike and asked if they had a Rambler in stock. The owner pulled out a green 24 speed Rambler, adjusted the seat a bit for me, and I took it for a short test ride. I was quite impressed with the trikes lightness and responsive steering. While I much prefer the looks of the Path, I never cared for the looks of the Rover; square tubing was never meant for a bike or trike, but the Rambler is one nice entry level trike. I could actually see myself on a Rambler, especially since the Path has been discontinued.
  • bentcrazy wrote:

Hmmmm...I don't own a Rambler, but I do own a Rover. Which is even more of a moose than a Rambler. I kinda like the "Moose" moniker. Big. Tall. Strong. Sturdy. Slow but powerful. Square snout.

Now I just need a stuffed squirrel in a pilot's helmet...
  • Gary wrote:
    bentcrazy wrote:

I couldn't disagree more!! I went to the local Terratrike dealer this morning to buy a pair of foam grips for my wife's trike and asked if they had a Rambler in stock. The owner pulled out a green 24 speed Rambler, adjusted the seat a bit for me, and I took it for a short test ride. I was quite impressed with the trikes lightness and responsive steering. While I much prefer the looks of the Path, I never cared for the looks of the Rover; square tubing was never meant for a bike or trike, but the Rambler is one nice entry level trike. I could actually see myself on a Rambler, especially since the Path has been discontinued.

Square tubing was meant for my Trike and I love it, but then I owned a BikeE which was a fantastic seller like the Rover. Funny how something different can be a success...... ;)
  • bentcrazy wrote:

Just purchased a Rambler Elite and what attracted me to it was the size. I'm a LARGE person...6' 5" and 240lb's to be exact. I'l LOVE to see how ridiculous I'd look on your trike!

Beauty certainly is in the eye of the beholder and to me I really don't find trikes that sit 2" off the road a beautiful thing. They'd have to get a crane to get me back up out of it!

Thank goodness for Terratrike having the foresight to cover all sizes.

MY Ramber and ME = A BEAUTIFUL THANG!
    :mrgreen: