Ongoing Rambler Review -- New Owner

edited December 2011 in Rambler
I am picking up my brand new Rambler this Friday!!!!!!
I am a life long bike rider but this will be my first recumbent trike.
I intend to update this thread on a regular basis with my comments and reviews.
I welcome any feedback on my comments.
I would also love to talk to people who have already had some miles on their Rambler

Comments

• I bet you will love your new trike....
  • wsoxfan wrote:
    I am picking up my brand new Rambler this Friday!!!!!!
    I am a life long bike rider but this will be my first recumbent trike.
    I intend to update this thread on a regular basis with my comments and reviews.
    I welcome any feedback on my comments.
    I would also love to talk to people who have already had some miles on their Rambler

I have about 24 miles on mine since Thursday. I have the internal 8 speed. So far I love it.
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • Thks for the reply!

I am getting the 8 speed internal also. How does it do on hills for you?
  • wsoxfan wrote:
    Thks for the reply!

I have a Rover with the 8-speed and climb 10% grades with it and I am 71 years old. Hills much steeper than that, and I think the 24 speed would be a good choice.
  • wsoxfan wrote:
    Thks for the reply!

This is Florida and my hills are not bad but I still avoid the bigger ones till I get stronger. That said it works better up the hills I do than the heavier Sun EZ-Tad CX does. Most of my riding so far has been in the middle gears 3 to 7. I drop back to 1 or 2 at up hill stops or going up hills. Only been in 8 a couple times down hill. Where are your hills?
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • My Rambler is in and assembled already!!!!! I will be picking it up tonite. I will post first impressions later today or tomorrow.
    I live in Webster Groves, which is a suburb of St. Louis. As for hills, mostly the usual suburban mix, nothing drastic. I plan to do a lot
    of riding on the Katy Trail here in Missouri but I understand that it is pretty flat for the most part. I am getting the 8 speed internal. Although
    I have ridden bikes most of my life, I have never been a fan of a multitude of gears. My only concern is for hills, but I am pretty sure that
    conditioning is the key to that anyway.
  • Hey Wsoxfan. I am at Scott Air Force Base. I'll have to look up Katy trail. My rover should be here in a few weeks. I know there is a recumbent club somewhere in STL. I wonder if they have meets or whatever.
  • Hey wsoxfan. I think I saw your Rambler yesterday at the Bike Center. Orange 8speed right? I wanted to take a test drive but both Ramblers in stock were already sold. Nice trike! I'll be interseted in hearing about your experiences with it on local trails. Have you had any experience with a Rover? I'm trying to understand why I would want to spend the additional $ for a Rambler over a Rover.

I see that you live in Webster. I went to Kirkwood High so that makes us rivals... at least you are not a Cubs fan! Go Cards! :D
  • I found this for Saint Louis.

http://www.meetup.com/STL-Recumbent/

Marian
    Marian

Rover 8 with 24T chain ring and shorter crankset
    Walky Dog - Checkers - whippet mix
    Bike Tow Leash - Cleo - boxer/English bulldog mix
    Puprunner http://www.puprunners.com/index.html

Be yourself; everyone else is taken.
  • TOMORROW!!! I just made the appointment for delivery. Can't wait!
    I Have My Rambler, SUNNIE!
    My Noob Blog - frontfendersngum.com

IGP1323-Th.jpg
  • animatedFireworks.gif
    Happy-Birthday-Animated-86-7YMVHYA2NJ.gif
    popcorn-1thumb.gif

I can't wait either Renie!!!!!!!!!
  • wsoxfan wrote:
    Thks for the reply!

This is Florida and my hills are not bad but I still avoid the bigger ones till I get stronger. That said it works better up the hills I do than the heavier Sun EZ-Tad CX does. Most of my riding so far has been in the middle gears 3 to 7. I drop back to 1 or 2 at up hill stops or going up hills. Only been in 8 a couple times down hill. Where are your hills?

Where are u at in Florida?
    Gordon

Rover Derailleur 8 w/26" Rear Wheel
    [Front Derailleur Is On The Way!!]
  • grodo.00 wrote:
    wsoxfan wrote:
    Thks for the reply!

Where are u at in Florida?
    The other side of Blountstown from Tally. Suburban Clarksville (that's a joke, Clarksville is basically an intersection on SR 20). The area is often called the Sandhills- old old old beach front I assume. Want to get together?
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Have you got your Rambler? We need pictures, ya know?
    Fran
    Rosie "Rambling Rose"
    TT Rambler
  • Yep. That was my bike. Picked it up Wednesday. I absolutely love the bike!!!!!!!!!!
    It is everything I hoped it would be plus a lot more.
    I have been on two relatively short trails so far in the last two days and it handled them with ease. The trail yesterday was about 20 miles, todays about 10.
    Lots of attention on the trail!
    The bike does it all. It cruises at 18 mph with ease, much more on down hill if you trust yourself and the bike. I have not encountered a hill that was really
    all that hard. Just downshift to 2 and go go go.
    The handling is precise and true.
    The internal 8 is perfect for me. Just enough gearing to get up the hill and still do 20mph on the flats if I want to.

As to why the Rambler over the Rover. I looked at both bikes and almost bought the Rover until I lucked into the Rambler. I literally walked into the Bike Center as it was being unloaded from the truck.
    The Rambler is a far superior bike. First and foremost it is a full 5 lb lighter. In the world of bikes that is just immense. The one downside of Trikes can be weight. But not with the Rambler. It weighs close to the same weight as TerraTrikes high end models. The frame is better and the overall build is better. I think the Rambler has more in common with the Tourist than the Rover.
  • Sorry it has taken so long to post my first review.

I have been riding in heaven!!!!!!! And I have been working a lot of overtime.
    The Rambler is everything I hoped it would but plus a lot more. It is light, fast and handles great.
    I initially looked at the Rover, but the fact that the Rambler is a full 5 lb lighter makes a lot of difference.

I have been on two short trails, a 20 mile jaunt yesterday and about 12 today. A nice mixture of flats and hills . The Rambler handled everything
    with ease. I hit a high of 18MPH with ease on the flats and averaged 12MPH overall. Even on the hills I did not labor as much as I had on my Giant.

I have gone over the bike really carefully, and the quality of the workmanship is obvious.

The Seat is the best I have been in. The fact that it is super adjustable comes in handy and not just for riding.
    I drive a Tiburon sports coupe with a hatchback. The car is considered a sports car and there was no way the Rambler could fit in it right? Wrong!!!
    With the seat set all the way down the bike not only fits but the hatchback down closes with ease. Transport problem instantly solved.

I will add a bunch more comments tomorrow and throw in some pics.

Feel free to ask any questions. If you are thinking about a Rambler, make the move. I guarantee that you will be as happy as I am.
  • breadstick wrote:
    Hey Wsoxfan. I am at Scott Air Force Base. I'll have to look up Katy trail. My rover should be here in a few weeks. I know there is a recumbent club somewhere in STL. I wonder if they have meets or whatever.
    I have two short trails under my belt since I picked up my bike. I love it!!!!!
    Hope you get yours soon. See my other posts on this tread for more comments.
    keep in touch and we can exchange experiences.
  • wsoxfan wrote:
    Yep. That was my bike. Picked it up Wednesday. I absolutely love the bike!!!!!!!!!!
    I have been on two relatively short trails so far in the last two days and it handled them with ease. The trail yesterday was about 20 miles, todays about 10.
    The bike does it all. It cruises at 18 mph with ease, much more on down hill if you trust yourself and the bike. I have not encountered a hill that was really
    The internal 8 is perfect for me. Just enough gearing to get up the hill and still do 20mph on the flats if I want to.

As to why the Rambler over the Rover. I looked at both bikes and almost bought the Rover until I lucked into the Rambler. I literally walked into the Bike Center as it was being unloaded from the truck.
    The Rambler is a far superior bike. First and foremost it is a full 5 lb lighter. In the world of bikes that is just immense. The one downside of Trikes can be weight. But not with the Rambler. It weighs close to the same weight as TerraTrikes high end models. The frame is better and the overall build is better. I think the Rambler has more in common with the Tourist than the Rover.

Did you get a "bike" or a "trike" ?
  • Captainbob wrote:
    wsoxfan wrote:
    Yep. That was my bike. Picked it up Wednesday. I absolutely love the bike!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about the confusion. I got a trike the rambler only comes as a trike and I thought everyone on this thread knew that. I use the term bike in the generic sense.
  • wsoxfan wrote:
    Captainbob wrote:
    wsoxfan wrote:

Sorry about the confusion. I got a trike the rambler only comes as a trike and I thought everyone on this thread knew that. I use the term bike in the generic sense.

Just kidding. Calling a Trike a Bike is something that trike riders avoid like the plague..... ;) By the way, hitting 18 mph on a flat is something that many trike riders that have been riding a long time, never come close to, so you must really be a strong rider.
  • Hope you don't mind that I sat on your bike in the store. :roll: I like the seat on the Rambler but didn't notice that much difference between it and the Rover. Still trying to figure out if the Rambler is worth the extra $ for me. I understand that it is lighter but not sure that makes much difference for me as I weigh 225. 5 pounds seems like a pretty small percentage of total bike and rider weight. I am impressed with your 18 mph cruising speed. Any idea what cadence it took to acheive that? Have you ridden on Grants Trail yet? I was wondering if the trikes fit between the pipes that they installed to keep cars off the trail.

I am glad you like your new trike. Hope to get one in the future. Been riding my hybrid Trek diamond frame bike recently since the heat broke here in St. Louis and my butt is sore from the seat. That is a big motivation for me to move to a trike. Sure wish there was someplace around here that you could rent a trike to take it on a longer ride than around the parking lot of the LBS to really experience the differences between trikes and bikes. If you get a chance to ride on the Katy trail I'd really like to hear how it performs on that fine limestone surface. I know I can tell the difference on a standard bike between the limestone and asphalt.
  • geoscouter wrote:
    Hope you don't mind that I sat on your bike in the store. :roll: I like the seat on the Rambler but didn't notice that much difference between it and the Rover. Still trying to figure out if the Rambler is worth the extra $ for me. I understand that it is lighter but not sure that makes much difference for me as I weigh 225. 5 pounds seems like a pretty small percentage of total bike and rider weight. I am impressed with your 18 mph cruising speed. Any idea what cadence it took to acheive that? Have you ridden on Grants Trail yet? I was wondering if the trikes fit between the pipes that they installed to keep cars off the trail.

After many years of riding, I don't think 5 pounds in weight on a trike is going to amount to much. Try going for a ride with 5 pounds of stuff on your trike, measure your speed, take the weight off and repeat. I doubt if you will see any difference in speeds. Now lifting your lighter trike onto a rack or into a car is a different story. I used to tell all my weight winnie friends with their carbon fiber bikes and titanium everything, that if they layed off the cheeseburgers and fries for a month it would be the equivalent of buying and riding a $5000 bike for them...... ;)
  • geoscouter wrote:
    Hope you don't mind that I sat on your bike in the store. :roll: I like the seat on the Rambler but didn't notice that much difference between it and the Rover. Still trying to figure out if the Rambler is worth the extra $ for me. I understand that it is lighter but not sure that makes much difference for me as I weigh 225. 5 pounds seems like a pretty small percentage of total bike and rider weight. I am impressed with your 18 mph cruising speed. Any idea what cadence it took to acheive that? Have you ridden on Grants Trail yet? I was wondering if the trikes fit between the pipes that they installed to keep cars off the trail.

I am glad you like your new trike. Hope to get one in the future. Been riding my hybrid Trek diamond frame bike recently since the heat broke here in St. Louis and my butt is sore from the seat. That is a big motivation for me to move to a trike. Sure wish there was someplace around here that you could rent a trike to take it on a longer ride than around the parking lot of the LBS to really experience the differences between trikes and bikes. If you get a chance to ride on the Katy trail I'd really like to hear how it performs on that fine limestone surface. I know I can tell the difference on a standard bike between the limestone and asphalt.

Here is a trike dealer in St Louis.... http://bikecenterstl.com/articles/bikes ... s-pg55.htm
  • Early this morning the Bike Center had a 27 speed rambler in stock.

Marian
    Marian

• breadstick wrote:
    I am at Scott Air Force Base. I'll have to look up Katy trail. My rover should be here in a few weeks. I know there is a recumbent club somewhere in STL. I wonder if they have meets or whatever.

There's really good trails on your side of the river too. Take at look at Cahokia Mounds: http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/fitness/article_26a3f756-ad24-5818-862f-015fec19b505.html. There's also a really nice one at SIUE (you can find it on the same website as Cahokia Mounds).

Katy is a beautiful trail for the fall and for really long rides. The only downside is it's crushed gravel (DGA) and you and the trike are going to need a good cleaning on a very dry or very damp day (dirt road dusty when dry, "flingy" when wet). Don't forget the chain.
  • Hello Wsoxfan,

The Katy Trail is pretty flat so it should be a good place for you to ride your new Rambler. I should point out though that the trail is not paved, it's a crushed limestone base so there will be a bit more resistance when pedaling.
  • We could start our own meets. There are a half dozen of us or so here and on bentrider.

This group (SLAG) is riding the Katy Trail this Sunday.

http://www.meetup.com/StLAdventurers/ev ... m&rv=ea1.2

Marian
    Marian

• geoscouter wrote:

I have done the Grant's Trail twice now and the pipes provide no problem whatsoever. Of course you have to slow down a little to navigate through them but there is plenty of space on either side.
  • Good to know that about Ongoing Rambler Review , thanks for sharing this information, many
    otheres info i got through your forum...
    Colt
  • Received Rambler 8 mid September. Using Runkeeper with iPhone pkg. to keep track of progress. Ride daily in the Florida Keys. Usual times are 4-5 AM. Avg. distance currently is around 9-15 miles in just under an hour. Today I hit the 729 mile mark. The Rambler is total fun.

I'm now doing most of the run in 8th gear and am thinking of upgrading the crank from 32t to 42t. Has anyone done this yet? If so, what tools are required. Our "local" bike shop is about 30 miles away which makes service an issue. With the amount of use I'm giving this new wonder the bottom bracket is making a "clicking" noise at the top of the right pedal stroke. I understand that I need to tighten that area. Again, tool list would be a godsend.

Riding in the dark because? Am getting back into shape after 17 years of dealing with Agent Orange issues.
    Have super lighting system both fore and aft and love the lack of traffic at that hour.

Thank you for any input or advise. Keep on peddling!