Tail Light Mount

edited November 2013 in Tour II
Rear racks should come with an easy way to mount a tail light. Over the years I've had to make my share of custom mounts, which were usually made from oddly bent pieces of aluminum, which were designed to work with a specific light. If I wanted to change tail lights, then I had to make a new mount. Tired of having to deal with changing mounts, I decided to make a generic one for the TerraTrike rack. It's quite simple and most any tail light designed to clamp to a seat post will work with it.

Mount%201.JPG

Mount%202.JPG

Mount%203.JPG

The round black thing is a length of Delrin that I cut and center drilled, but a short piece of tubing can be used in its place. I just installed the pictured mount today, and have been using one made with an old brass bushing for the last few months. If I didn't already have some Delrin laying around I would have just cut a short length of aluminum tubing.

Since Delrin is a bit slick, I used a star lock washer where the Delrin meets the bottom of the rack to keep it from turning. Everything else should be obvious in the pictures.

TerraTrike or some third party should make this a simple bolt on accessory kit for their rack.

Rob

Comments

• This is a great idea! I'll be making myself one, and maybe using the idea to make Christmas presents for my triking friends.

I'd consider using a washer which has an outside diameter just so slightly larger than the outside diameter of the tubing. This would avoid the loss of the light to gravity if the light mount loosened.

Ken
  • I'd consider using a washer which has an outside diameter just so slightly larger than the outside diameter of the tubing. This would avoid the loss of the light to gravity if the light mount loosened.

That was my intention when building the mount, but I didn't have a large enough fender washer in my parts bin. Yes, adding a larger diameter washer would help retain the light if it happened to loosen.

I'm glad to see that others have found my light mount design useful.

Rob
  • A friend of mine created a removable Light Rack using PVC. All I had to do was zip tie it to the Bike Rack itself. Creativity is a great thing. I appreciate yours!
  • For some reason the image is not visible to me!
    This is really something that a major manufacture of trikes would not think about tail light mount on a bike rack!