Studded Tires

edited November 2016 in Accessories
  Has anyone ridden their trikes, preferably Rovers, in the snow/ice? Did you require studded tires by chance, or do common tires do okay?

Was talking with one shady-like guy and he claimed only the drive wheel needed studs, the steering ended up being more-or-less skis. Watched a video of another fellow who said riding a trike over fresh snow was the most heavenly thing to of done & experienced.

Know some people in the area have run studded tires on bicycles as they were their only means of transportation. Seen them ride right over ice unaffected.

Comments

• Studded tires are mostly only needed in icy conditions, where loss of traction is a concern. On bicycles sudden unpredictable loss of traction is extremely dangerous, especially in icy conditions where you're liable to continue sliding into things and getting hurt. 

Snow alone, especially if riding a slow speeds with larger tires, isn't really an issue. (As you saw in the videos.) By larger tires I mean the stock CST or a balloon tire, as they run on lower pressure and give good traction.

I've personally ridden without issues when there has still been snow and compressed snow/ice in bike lanes. Trike are more stable and naturally handle the conditions better. Though you can still get hurt if you do stupid things. :)

You may wan to consider studded tires if you'll be riding in heavy or high speed traffic during extreme weather, as a trike can still slide around if you push it.

I mostly agree with the shady guy in that studded tires give less of a benefit on the non-drive wheels. They could still be useful if you tend to go fast, or want additional braking power. 

- PaulNM
  • Ed Miller's video of him riding in snow is cute, but remember that he lives in Tennessee - that 2" snow in his nice suburban neighborhood is probably the deepest snow his area ever sees.

P.S. Ed's the guy who makes the really cool canopies for around $250, depending on the options you choose. I think he does it as a retirement hobbie/income thing.
  • Snow riding seems more of a novelty than a regular pursuit. But then we get 12 feet of snow and clearing it is plenty of daily exercise
  • Also, that particular snow looked like a light and dry snowfall. Compacts and clears away pretty easily. Heavy and wet would be a slightly different ride. :)

- PaulNM
  • edited December 2016
      Wanted to ride in the snow we got, but it's like ice now. More snow projected for next two days. Haven't been out more due to work + extra work given. Almost went out last night till I saw 12° F on the thermometer.

Sort of wondering, with snow and ice mix: could one just get a rear studded tire, or would one want studded tires on all three wheels? Haven't been out riding yet. Might be able to get out before sunset - work permitting.

When I rang bell for The Salvation Army, would see guys on DFB riding over ice with studded tires. Anyone have any experiences with 20 inch studded tires? How did you like them?
  • I would suspect lots of wheel spin on packed snow or ice.
  • This is building up to another Michigan "hold my beer and watch this" story, isn't it?
  • Supposed to get slammed with snow tonight and tomorrow in Traverse City.
  • I love it up there. Even more around Petosky and Gaylord. But dang, they probably only get 4 riding months a year. At least in Traverse City and Flint we get maybe 5 or 6 months! ;-)
  • We've lived in Traverse City for nine years and love everything about it. Lots of great outdoor activities.
    ed
  • I did "Tall Ships" there this summer. What a blast!
  • I was on the message boards at bentrider.com under trikes and there were links to information on studdded tires.  Here's the link. http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=131399 ;
    Hope this helps!
  •   Lower tire pressure is bad news for us heavier riders in that the tire will wander and slip, and the first thing that goes is the Schrader valve. A sliced or ripped hole from the tube does not make for good riding.

• In Michigan the maximum length for a tandem trailer rig is 75".  He might want to be careful he doesn't exceed that length.  :-)

• edited December 2016
         Jrobiso2.  

You stated, "At least in Traverse City and Flint we get maybe 5 or 6 months!"  Are you in the Flint area?  Flint is our home.
  • Fenton, actually. Just south of the "water from hell" town. But I grew up in Hell, MI
  • LOL.  Where ever I travel around the country, when asked where I'm from, I tell them Flint and that I brought some water with me, would they like some.  So far, I've had no takers.  :-(

• I live in MN and ride trails recreationally (disabled so slowly building back to a normal mileage, so it's paths for me for awhile). I have no money for studded tires, but the gift-giving season is coming up so I'm hoping I can get by with one studded tire on the back of the trike--that tire would be courtesy of Santa Claus.

I have a Zoomer and got stuck almost immediately after the first snowfall (2") by going 2 wheels off the path and one on the edge of the path/on the pavement. So in this situation, would one studded tire in the back work to get me moving again?

Also, because I'm riding a path that crosses streets, will a studded tire in back get me across the snowy and icy intersections? I'm scared of getting stuck and getting run over.

• I would suggest investing in a indoor roller trainer. Studded tires advantage is they allow to go longer before getting stuck and you will! Plus there will be winter days that are impractical for riding regardless how enthusiastic you are.
  • edited December 2016
      Unfortunately, from what I read, having only a studded tire on the back won't help much. If you do want to go on snow and ice go super fat tire types. Though TT Rambler has an upgrade for it, have seen more videos covering IceTrikes & Asubs out there -- but hey aren't in traffic. Am guessing the high end trikes are debuted as they can put out more torque, but those are out there in price range.

A few bicyclers in out area have studded as it's their only means of transportation, and buses stop running at odd times and not on weekends. They are spending $80 to $150 a tire too.

Saw this custom made one, wow!

• edited December 2016
      Knew that TerraTrike was trying to get Eric Larsen to take the fat tired Rambler out once, and I tried convincing him, but there was other factors to consider - portability, light weight, repairs, and if he had to ditch it if something arose.

Here's Eric on his fat tired two-wheeler. Compare the rims and tire widths.

• edited December 2016
    You guys thinking fat off-road tires better consider some structural upgrades to your frames. Checkout how beefed up the swing arm is on a fat bike. Also consider space for a cassette and tire, remember the chain has to clear the tire
  • Not only are the fats wider, but the lower pressure assures that more of it keeps contact when going over smaller bumps/cracks.

- PaulNM