Trike Repair Stands

I looking at buying (or building?) a trike repair stand. Any info provided will be greatly appreciated (by me, and others I presume). If you have built one, please provide details - photos are always helpful... both holding a trike, and without a trike, if you can. Even if you do not have photos, but can explain how you built it, materials used, expense, how it looks now, and what you would do differently if building one today, that info would truly be beneficial.

If you have a trike repair stand (constructed or commercial) for sale, please describe and supply photos is possible. If you have purchased one that you like (or dislike) please let us know. Always provide make and model when possible.

I'm personally weighing the advantages and disadvantages of building vs buying a trike repair stand. At the same time I am doing similarly for new, vs used, if I purchase one. These cold Michigan winters have me leaning toward purchasing one, but that well needs to be replenished, so the jury is still out.

If Santa doesn't bring me one, I am considering purchasing a Park Tool PCS-10 Home Mechanic Folding Bike Repair Stand ($167 ebay). One is currently sitting in my Amazon Wish List ($185). The Park Tool website claims the PCS-10 can easily hold #80 and works well with "many" recumbent trikes. I have two trikes, a TT Rover (~#50, before adding BBSHD) and a TT Traveler. Ideally I will end up with a repair stand that will accommodate both of my current trikes, and any future trike I might purchase... but that isn't likely. Can anyone comment on their experience with this unit? My lbs uses a similar looking repair stand, but theirs is the $400 professional model. I'm hoping not to need to spend more than half that amount. Any suggestions anyone?

Comments

• Go to this link, see post #5.  I made my own version of this PVC trike stand.  I had to play with the angles to fit my Tour II.  http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?p=613978&highlight=workstand&page=3

I can get you some measurements if you would like.
  • That is a really sweet stand. I bet it supports quite a bit of weight too. Do you recall how much you had to invest in the pvc to build. I really like the shelf you built- not only does it provide a place for parts, pieces, tools, etc., but it also helps make it even more sturdy. Measurements would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the link.
  • @mccooleys that was a really nice trike you had there... do you still have the ICE? What other trikes do you/have you own(ed)?
  • If I remember correctly the price was $30-$40 dollars, cheap and strong.  The trike in the link isn't mine, it belongs to the person that built the stand.  It does look like a sweet ride!  I don't know how to post pictures so I will send them via e-mail to you along with the dimensions.
  • edited December 2016
    Thanks Bob! That sounds quite doable. 

I am still interested in considering a commercially available stand as well, so any and all additional comments are still welcomed and encouraged.
  • just put it on the kitchen table when your wife goes shopping and beg forgiveness if she comes home early. 
  • That's the best one I've heard.   :))
  • It just confirms the old saying that it's easier to ask forgiveness that it is to ask permission. :-*
  • edited December 2016
    I don't care what the wife thinks or says. I went cold turkey on women years ago and haven't suffered from any withdrawals. Learned my lesson with the first one. I don't live well with others.
    8-} I use the table for my trike stand.
  • It has pitch and yaw, instead of just pitch
  • Basically all you need is 3 tall jack stands. Or a small table to walk around and 3 regular ones.
  • edited December 2016
    Thank you all so much for such great suggestions and ideas. You have all given me so much to think about. And @gern, a lot of us just refer to your experience as having a "trainer wife". /:)  I sure am glad I had one... she's one of the main reasons I still have my current wife... 30+ years and counting!

I Think I best not use the kitchen table. I got a keeper this time! :D
    :D
  • Just got off the phone with Mark at Park Tool. He says I would be disapointed with the PCS-10 bike repair stand. He suggested building one from PVC. Thanks again everyone!

Mike
  • A lot of people have done that.  Go to Bentrider.com and search for one on their message boards.  They have allowed people to post pictures.
  • I built one out of spare wood I had laying around. (Mostly 2x6 planks.) In my case it was free, as opposed to the cheap cost of of a pvc design. I have it set so my Rover is upper-chest high. It's very stable, but pretty heavy. If you're smart about glue placement, a pvc design would be easier to take apart and store. (Glue joints where the stress pulls them apart, don't glue where they're compressed.)

I would have happy with one of those $20 pulley systems that hang from the ceiling, but the garage door is in the way. I did use one in a previous place, and found it quite useful.

- PaulNM
  • Stumbled across this in another website in an article about changing tires.  Don't you just love "modern high tech?"

• A cardboard box multi tool. I like the saying
    "Sometimes less is more"
  • Now that's what I call creative modern technology... An he probably closes the loop... reduce, reuse, recycle, and then buy items made with recycled products.
  • I found a footrest in my living room works great.  It gets the trike high enough at one end so I can work on it.  If I need both ends up, I will bring in two kitchen chairs.  You really don't need anything fancy!
  • edited December 2016

• edited December 2016
    My wife and I are retiring soon and plan to travel full-time in our RV. I have no desire to sit on the ground to work on or clean the trikes so I created the following trike stand:

It is completely adjustable and can accommodate any tadpole trike style or size. It also breaks down and fits into a duffel bag (including the main stand) for easy stowing in one of the RV storage bays. Here's what it looks like with my wife's Rover on it:

The main stand is a Rockwell Jaw Stand. As soon as I complete a set of printable plans I will post their availability here. 
  • That is one sweet trike stand! I like how you made use of the Rockwell Jaw Stand and simply modified it. Nice Job! If I had such a stand, I'd have to do as you have done. Since I didn't get a trike stand from Santa, I purchased $35 worth of PVC pipe and have started my trike stand project. Once my relatives have gone home I'll finish it. Should be no problem to be finished by Sunday night. I hope to put photos and a write-up on the process posted here once the stand is completed.
  • I finished my PVC trike stand build between the holidays. I opted for using screws rather than glue to affix the PVC pieces together since I have two different trikes and may need to make changes to accommodate their differences. I don't have photos yet, but will shortly. I looked at many different photos and read a bit about what others liked and didn't like about their builds. It made sense to me to add a shelf for tools and parts. I made the shelf large enough to accommodate a standard lipped cookie sheet, and added an old one.

I spent more time on this project than I thought I would, but I am pleased with the finished project. I will explain the build once I have photos to aid the discussion. I thank all of you who committed here and/or led me to other resources to aid the project. I would not have undertaken the project without this assistance and support.
  • I like @NHYankee build. I'm interested in those plans, especially since my wife and I are considering retiring to an RV so we can see every state and stay in bike riding weather all year round. Your stand would thus be perfect
  • NHYankee I do love your stand. And I really want to know where you got the "Y" grip-ends that actually hold the trike. I need to get a set of those. Are they part of the Rockwell stand, or are they (hopefully) sold separated.
  • edited January 27
    Got my RAT (Rambler All Terrain), last May and been working on it while sitting in a roll around shop stool. Have looked at many different DIY trike repair stands and thought perhaps one day I'll build one. I've built many a DIY tools for working on cars, motorcycles and bicycles. Looked on-line for several repair stands, but the prices were more than I wanted to pay. Then came across the Tight Trike, http://triketight.com/. I liked to looks of it and the prices was way lower than other stands; and has more features (fold-able, has locking easy rolling wheels, Is easy to work on anything on my trike since it is above ground. I admit the "cheaper part" of me said:"Hey I can build that"; I modified a Curt aluminum cargo carrier to carry my RAT. And then I just said to myself "I'm too tired of building stuff, and "making do" sometimes. The Tight Trike looks to be very well made and like it will do the job stupendously. I contacted Tom and Nevin (at Tight Trike; super friendly guys!), because I wanted the Table Top model but when I sent them the dimensions to the roll-around tool box I was going to mount the stand on they advised me that the stand won't fit. They suggested I could put it on the floor and use my roll around seat to work on my trike. I measured the height of my RAT and it is too tall to use the table top stand on the floor. So I went with the Roll Around floor model. Ordered it last Friday and got it yesterday Thursday, WOW! Fast service! Assembled it last night and set my Trike on it, fits Purrfect!! Rolls around super easy and smooth, makes the trike easy to access any part to clean, adjust, repair, etc. I like it! I think for the price, compared to all others it is a great value!! Great shop repair stand! Thank you Tight Trike!
    aug7h41cd8hc.jpg
    pairstand!6lz56qwy6b0s.jpg
    ooklo3xawbqw.jpg
    n43lj1wcv0vy.jpg
    lor9035ojlhs.jpg
  • Looks good! The only problem I see is I'm not sure a Rover with a square frame would stay in those mounts. I'll have to go to the website and see if they have others available.
  • Just use larger pvc than the square tubing is. Lay some foam inside of tube to slow down any shifting. Even bracing Trike in the round tube areas will stop any pivoting.
  • I really like my Trike Tight. It holds both my Sportster and her Rover without much effort to adjust. The Sportster needs the rear Y pushed back to clear an idler and that just requires loosening one knob. Be prepared to lift your trike, it feels as tall as the bed of the truck the trikes live in.