Golden Gate bridge

Are Trikes allowed to cross the bridge just as bicycles?

Comments

• You'll need to hear from someone more knowledgeable about the Golden Gate Bridge and SF area than I am, but my (*very*) general thoughts are:

If bikes are allowed, so are trikes. Generally the laws are written using general terms like pedalcycle instead of bicycle, or redefine bicycle in a broad enough way that the term covers almost anything that pedals.

Here in Philadelphia we can't ride any bikes/trikes on any bridge to/from New Jersey as they're considered highways, which non-motorized vehicles aren't allowed on. The Ben Franklin Bridge does have a nice wide "walkway" which cyclists are allowed to ride on. (Not just walk their bike, but ride.)

Eventually the Camden, NJ side will get their stuff together and rebuild their side to be ramps instead of the steep steps with tight turns they currently have. That'll really improve the situation for everyone.

- PaulNM
  • I think they need to get rid of the concept of "walk your bike across the bridge" (No, I'm not saying that the GG bridge does that - just a lot of others do).

I do NOT "walk" my trike anywhere.
  • From http://goldengatebridge.org/bikesbridge/bikes.php

"The Following are NOT Allowed on Bridge Sidewalks:

• Electric bikes or small scooters may NOT be ridden across the sidewalk in the power-on mode. They are allowed to be pushed or ridden across the sidewalk in the power-off mode only.
    • Persons on roller blades, skateboards, or roller skates are NOT allowed.
    • Animals, including dogs and horses, which are being led, ridden or driven, with the exception of service animals, such as guide dogs, signal dogs and service dogs, are NOT allowed.
    • Pushcarts, wheelbarrows, and similar vehicles are NOT allowed."

Which could lead us to presume that trikes are. Unless some authority considers them similar to pushcarts or wheelbarrows!