Rolling resistance

Can anyone give me comparisons of rolling resistence of Big Apples vs stock CST and Marathon vs stock CST?

I'd love a softer ride like I hear big apples give you but I don't want to increase my rolling resistance.

• Marathons definitely have less rolling resistance than the CSTs. They're stiffer and higher pressure tires. I noticed a speed improvement when I switched.

I don't have any direct experience with Big Apples, but they're basically larger and tougher than the CSTs. They do have a wider range of pressures you can use. I suspect the BAs are a little stiffer and therefore flex less during normal riding. If so, they're likely to have less rolling resistance at the higher pressure while still giving a good suspension feel. 

- PaulNM
    There is some interesting information on these sites for those of the same opinion as me that fat tires are slow. :-?

But then there's always.........
  • Rolling resistance is from the tire not being round once it compresses against the ground. A narrow tire creates a long contact patch from front to back creating a much more out of round condition than a fat tire whose contact patch is oval from side to side. Not my opinion, that's from Schwalbe. I also felt fat tires would be slower when in fact they would be faster. The reason racers use narrow tires is for the air resistance, not something we worry about on a Rover.

Take a look at the links I posted.

• edited January 2017
    There's also air pressure to consider. Narrower tires are run at much higher pressures. (especially road/racer tires) That makes them much stiffer and prevents a good deal of deformation.

Balloon type tires are deliberately run with lower pressure so they can deform more and dampen shocks. The deformation also gives a larger ground contact area, and therefore more traction.

That's why there's always a trade-off between suspension abilities and speed. 

You have to be careful with Schwalbe articles, they're a great company but their articles can be a bit misleading.  The one saying wider tires have less rolling resistance is *only* true if both tires have the *same* pressure. Or in other words, a wider tire has less rolling resistance than a horribly under-inflated narrow tire. (40-50 instead of 90-120 psi) Schwalbe is also a little vague as to what they consider a "standard tire", so it's hard to gauge the accuracy of their charts and statements. (Cheaper brands have thinner and more flexible walls than most Schwalbes, and therefore flex/deform more.)

- PaulNM

• Absolutely, they need to be properly inflated, that being said properly inflated fat tires will cushion more without reducing rolling resistance, in theory.

Whether or not the average Joe could notice the difference riding around on a 40lb three wheeled hpv is a whole other  discussion. I went from the stock 20x1.75 to 26x2.25 all around and can't say for certain my Rover rides any better or worse. 

• Let us not forget "Tires with a smaller diameter have a higher rolling resistance with the same inflation pressure, because tire deformation is proportionally greater. The tire is flattened more and is “less round”."

• @rirover please click on your name above to read the private message I sent you earlier considering your wheel upgrade .
  • from the Compass Tires website been riding them for 4 years now

"Supple tires are the most dramatic change you can make to the feel and performance of your bike. They roll more smoothly over the irregularities of the road surface, making them more comfortable and faster. They also absorb less energy as they deform with each tire revolution, which also increases your speed. Most of all, supple tires make your bike feel alive.

With supple tires, you can run wider tires at lower pressures, making your bike more comfortable and sure-footed, with no loss in performance. Professional racers have benefited from this research, but the bike industry continues to lag behind this trend and still reinforces most wide tires with puncture-proof belts and sturdy casings.

Our Compass tires provide the amazing ride of high-end tubular tires, but with the convenience of clinchers: There is no need to glue tires onto your rims any longer to experience the wonderful ride of supple tires. Thanks to their wider sections and lower pressures, Compass tires roll over debris that gets hammered into narrower tires, making them remarkably puncture-resistant. The tread is thick enough in the center to make our tires long-lasting. The tread pattern is designed to interlock with the road surface, so our tires offer amazing cornering grip, both in wet and dry conditions.

Compass tires are available in a variety of sizes to fit most bikes. Once you ride them, you won’t be able to go back to “normal” tires!"