Patterson Crank Anyone...???

Has Anyone here installed a Patterson Crank on Their IPS equipped Rover Tandem...??? If so, how "involved" was the conversion, and what were the gains and drawbacks if any...???...We have a 2016 Rover Tandem with IPS, and a Shimano 8-speed Internal Shift Hub, and I have been contemplating adding a Patterson. Thanks, skuuter....

Comments

• Thanks James...I assume I would need some type of cable stop for the cable housing (and maybe a boom with a derailleur post to mount it to..?... :/ )....... B)
  • edited June 2017
    Am considering the Patterson for a future upgrade since 8th gear has been flirting with me lately.
  • I have a Patterson on my Traveler, you will need to get the cable stop to install it. They have the cable stop you need through the Patterson site also.
  • does away with need for derailleur post. buy from patterson and they kick in [at the moment] the cablestop. excellent customer support.

mount that to the crankset before installing the patterson [dont ask how i know]. any old 3-speed twist grip will do for shifting the patterson. could use a rope and wrap it around the handlebar for that matter. they have a cable-stop install set of directions, same a copy of crankset install directions posted.

the patterson is easily transferred between trikes with same type bottom bracket.
  • Jamesr, did you once say the Patterson internal gears are adjustable? I haven't been using 8th gear and the faster sprocket that much but I do use it more than the slower sprocket. I only need it when I have to stop at a stop sign before climbing a hill. It really helps when I have no momentum.

IdahoTrailLizard, don't assume the Patterson will give you more upper gears. I didn't see a change. The external Rover comes with a 38T crank. I installed that with my i8 and did get an additional gear. I'm mostly in 5th, 6th, and 7th with the Patterson crank and now 170mm crank arms. I previously used 155mm crank arms.
  • What did you get, more lower gearing??

Was hoping to get some extra "flats" speed once I attained 8th. Been in 8th a few times but the revolutions are much slower. There's nothing between 7th & 8th."

Wasn't planning on upgrading for some time, but it's on the back burner so to speak - or was. /grin
  • @skuuter I installed a Bafang BBSHD electric assist crankset (AKA bottom bracket) to my stock 2014 Rover (non-tandem) with the idea of using mostly once the Rover is converted to a tandem. I just keep hoping TT reduces the price of the Rover tandem section, or I can find a used one. But no luck yet on either front. But the electric assist is AWESOME! I find I get the same physical workout, I just cover a lot more terrain with each trip. If you go the electric assist route, there are several folks here on the forum that have installed Bafang's on their trikes, and most are more knowledgeable on the subject than I am.
  • The Bafang BBS models (any of them) can increase your range, improve your hill climbing abilities and over-all ride enjoyment but I have to give you some warnings.

If you go the motor'd route, plan on using it as ASSIST and not as motor only. Keep the throttle on in case you have an "Oh Shit!" moment and need the speed, but don't use that to do most of your riding. (Bafang has a mode called PAS which stand for Pedal Assist. There are up to 9 levels of them, so basically you get 9 helper levels and throttle and off.)

Figure out your normal riding distances, and then plan on double the battery for the distance required. (So you have enough to get there and enough to get back.) The battery is likely to be the most expensive part, so don't skimp out on it. Chemistry is as important as Amp Hours. Stay away from SLA batteries, unless you plan on replacing them 2 or more times per season. LiIon, LiPolmer of LiFe are the highest power density for package size, and can give you upwards of 500-2000 charge cycles.

Plan on ordering at least one Speedo Extension, and probably at least 3, if you mount it on the back wheel. Also plan on getting the programming cable so you can tweak the settings a bit to fit your needs. (There are a ton of tutorials out there for it, so do a search...)

My BBS02 can give me a range of 50 miles + with a 20AH battery pack. This is running an average of 10-12 miles/hour. Increase the speed, decrease the range. (And the inverse.) My new pack is 11AH and so far haven't gotten a good feel for range with it yet. 5-6 rides so far, but haven't had a full charge yet... (Leaving the charger on 80% to extend the life of the batteries...)

Endless-Sphere is a great source. And for that matter, I'm on these forums fairly frequently, so you can pick my brains as well... :) (Remember, I only have 3 brain cells to rub together and friction is a killer...) :)
  • edited June 2017
    patterson can be upgraded for $50 in parts with either a 32 or 36 tooth sprocket. good system to grow with as recumbent muscles get conditioned.

using the sheldon brown gear calculator:
    with a 20-inch wheel, nexus-8 with 16-tooth drive sprocket

oem 32 teeth, 20-60 g.i. , @60 rpm 10.8 mph
    patterson 28/45, 17-85 g.i. , @60 rpm 15.1 mph
    patterson 32/51, 20-96 g.i. , @60 rpm 17.2 mph
    patterson 36/58, 22-109 g.i., @60 rpm 19.5 mph

for the flatland folks, a sturmey xrf8[w], 25 tooth drive spocket, and the base 28/45 patterson, 21-109 gear-inches. time to look into a fairing before stepping up the patterson tooth count.
  • When I have to shift to the smaller Patterson gear for the hills, I go from 1st gear to about 5th gear on the back. I need more gearing in the higher speeds. The Patterson website says the stock is a 28T. I can buy a set of all sizes for $50. Would that be the best option or should I install a small chain ring in the back?

I really don't need more speed where I'm riding now but I want the trike to be adaptable to all terrain. There is a trail up north I want to try someday.
  • skuuter wrote: »
    Has Anyone here installed a Patterson Crank on Their IPS equipped Rover Tandem...??? If so, how "involved" was the conversion, and what were the gains and drawbacks if any...???...We have a 2016 Rover Tandem with IPS, and a Shimano 8-speed Internal Shift Hub, and I have been contemplating adding a Patterson. Thanks, skuuter....

Unless the Patterson allows you to stop peddling and have the chain continue to move the chain ring, only the stoker will be able to stop peddling. The pilot will need to always peddle if the stoker is peddling.
    You may not have IPS any longer if you install the Patterson crank.