Low Rider Rack

edited June 2017 in Accessories
Did y'all see the latest annotation to the Low Rider Rack?
http://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/tt600361.htm
Our custom Low Rider rack is designed to sit behind and below the seat. It allows for attachment of panniers and is also the perfect mounting point for electric assist batteries, lowering your trike’s center of gravity. Designed for use with the Rover, Rambler, and Sportster models.

Requires the addition of the appropriate model Fit Kit.

Not compatible with Rover x8 model.

Guess this isn't good news for eRovers. Wonder if is possible to use an idler or reverse chain tensioner to compensate? Do riders who use electronic motors with IGH? (Seems there might be a heat related issue there.)

Comments

• I run an IGH with eFreedom. And I'm going to try making this thing work, even though I have to re-engineer it some to make it fit my application.

It's how I have the motor mounted as I do... Reinventing the wheel so to speak... :)
  • edited June 2017
    Best of luck sir! /salutes
    Keep the rest of us updated, please. :)
  • edited June 2017
    Have placed an order for the Low Rider Rack w/ Rover Kit. Will post photos once I get that puppy installed.

Have plans on getting the Stowaway Bag which should compliment available storage, along with the Jandd Expandable Luggage Pack I bought back in the early 90's.
  • edited June 2017
    Per @chonk 's pictures, reduced and slightly enhanced. ;)

19366505_1470616116331203_1733012012049257196_n.jpg?oh=492599d8aa2b4a899eb593c5e814292a&oe=59E71E04

19437241_1470616099664538_480944516349330672_n.jpg?oh=d431bd1fda262ee3bc688ea551ec0fb9&oe=59DEE960

19437697_1470616086331206_3917327642067496138_n.jpg?oh=f1d025b18e28bbffdbf955e0246f4b61&oe=59D606F6
  • Unfortunately for me, the rack was announced/released a month too late for me. I wanted to mount my BBSHD batteries below and behind my Rover seat. So I ended up purchasing a hardened thick aluminum plate and attached it on top of the square frame and pushed back to just touch the rear fender.

I used a couple of square U-bolts to keep it secured. I attached the chain tube guide exactly where it was located before by drilling and taping a whole in the plate. Then I attached the battery to the bottom of the plate on the left side (non-chain side) and used a couple of reusable cinch straps around the battery and plate as a safety backup.

If all goes to plan I will attach a second battery to the opposite side and bottom of the plate. Probably would have been easier, cheaper, faster, and better looking if I would have used the new Low Rider rack. Too bad TT refuses to let their customer base know what products they are planning on bringing to market until just before they are available. If I would have known about the Low Rider rack coming before summer, or even the end of summer, I would have waited for it.

Cinch straps alone would have been a good temporary solution until the rack was available.
  • edited July 2017
    Dimensions were lacking from the TT website, so...

Rack
    Aluminum, 10.3mm Round Tubing, 3.2mm Plate
    Top: 361.95mm Long x 238.13mm Wide
    Sides: 177.8mm High x 215.9mm Bottom Strut

U Hoop
    123.83mm Wide x 165mm High

Rack Weight: 2.4 Lbs / 1.1kg
    + Rover Kit: 3.0 Lbs / 1.4 kg
  • edited July 2017
    Not sure if TerraTrike has the correct extender arm in the Rover Kit.

Ended up leaving it as on the left side, which might of been just enough for it to maintain clearance around the front bracket. Still not sure it was needed really.
    On the right side of photo is how the instructions said to install it, and I knew that was not correct. The extender bar is too long.
    IMG_20170704_103020806_zpsatx0hjgg.jpg

Got her installed though. :)
    DSC01792_zpstuif2ekn.jpg

DSC01795_zpsfyhn5wia.jpg

Under the Low Rider Rack shots
    DSC01796_zpsocxs823b.jpg

DSC01797_zpslqsot80g.jpg

DSC01798_zpsj02niott.jpg

• edited July 2017
    Wonder if @chonk (or someone from the Technical Staff) could tell me whether the extender arm was too long for the Rover, or if it was intended to float there?

Would of guessed the arm would of only need to of been 1/2" longer than the OEM plastic clamp.

• purpose of the clamp is to prevent the chaintube from from getting gnawed by front or rear sprocket. better off floating the tube, my humble, but if you like a rigid clamp arrange it so the tube allows the chain a straight path between sprockets.

"floating" refers to non-rigid clamp attach to the frame. see how they do it at t-cycle.com [less than 50 cents if you just use 2 zip ties - for the price, terracycle should have the parts gold-plated]

might be the camera angle - appears the rear tire is not centered in the dropouts and your shifter cable is not secured to the frame.
  • Wonder if @chonk (or someone from the Technical Staff) could tell me whether the extender arm was too long for the Rover, or if it was intended to float there?

Would of guessed the arm would of only need to of been 1/2" longer than the OEM plastic clamp.

It was in fact intended to float a bit. I apologize if those instructions in the installation guide were not clear enough on that, but we definitely appreciate the feedback if that was confusing at all.

b690ali8tz1k.jpg

This is how I set it up originally, but that arm can also go forward, there is no issue in that. I suppose if you were to have a larger wheel on your Rover, having that arm forward would probably be the better setup.

Hope this helps!
  • It was in fact intended to float a bit. I apologize if those instructions in the installation guide were not clear enough on that, but we definitely appreciate the feedback if that was confusing at all.

b690ali8tz1k.jpg

This is how I set it up originally, but that arm can also go forward, there is no issue in that. I suppose if you were to have a larger wheel on your Rover, having that arm forward would probably be the better setup.

Hope this helps!

Ahh, okay. wondered about if it was meant more for the rear. The instructions were not very clear on where the arm was to be positioned, your photo does. Thank you. :)

ctqa9aflquov.jpg
  • edited July 2017
    Okay, fixed the extender as per your photo. :)
    DSC01807_zpsgk055q9d.jpg

The zip tie is there, more or less hiding.
    DSC01810_zpsvzwagcaz.jpg

And the rack support appears to hold the shifter cable on the forks.
    DSC01804_zps9fzbkacv.jpg

Rode around a few times, and went for a late night excursion last night to cool off. Hard to cool off when was 80°F at night. No noise heard from the Low Rider Rack. The Sturmey-Archer was clicking away in the back.

Picked up a twig along the way and now the Sigma won't pick up from the sensor. Don't see any damage to the wiring. Computer works when shortened and oscillated across the connections, so it's sensor or wiring. :( Ordered a different cycling computer from Planet Bike. Now to hit up Home Depot and find some wire wrap tubing to help protect them wires.
  • Looks like photobucket pulled the plug on posting photos from their directory. For this they was $400 a year?!? Time to dump them.
  • Bet this is why @chonk put in the upload photo ability. Though some people should resize their photos or have a script that does it. 640x480 is plenty big for web pages.