First Off Road adventure with my RAT

So today I was riding one of my normal routes in Greensboro, NC at Guilford Battleground park. This is a paved path that also connects to a couple of other routes. I'm heading on my trip crossing a couple of streets, then down into an apartment complex, I continue towards a park on a lake and come across a trail closed sign. I knew that they were doing some work but didn't know that they were closing the trail. Then I see a detour sign. Hmm, it says hikers and mountain bikers. Well it is the All Terrain!

Now is where it gets interesting, I am 6'2' 275 LBS and I have never really been interested in Mountain biking and dodging trees and roots, and they did cut a path down through the woods. It looks easy enough and I'll take it slow, take my time and see where this detour takes me.

I proceed down the hill, it's a little soft, no big deal, the RAT is just fine. I get to a "T" intersection and now I'm on a Mt. bike trail. It's a wide path and I have already come down the hill this far, lets keep going. I go another 50 yards and come around a bend and I see a couple of roots ahead and the trail has a little right to left slope. OK, I can do this! I proceed to the roots carefully selecting my route moving in a very controlled pace. I hit the root with my right wheel, and up it goes. And I mean up it goes and over I go and I don't mean over the root! I roll over and down the hill I go. Now the trike is on top of me and I unclip from my peddles and my shoelace is caught on something, my visor on my helmet broke off saving my glasses (yay!). I manage to get my foot free and get up to see if I'm bleeding anywhere, nope, no blood! Dust myself off from the rocks and dirt. I turn the trike over to see what damage has been done, mirror is flipped around as was the computer, tail light is moved (no big deal), Damn, the front light post is broken off! So I find the light, and a bar end cap that came off. I'm done, not going any farther on this trail. Now my day is going to be 7 miles shorter today and hopefully they will not have this detour for long.

Final tally, bruise on my leg, broken visor on helmet (hopefully can be replaced without having to buy a new one), broken boom mount for light. My pride!

Comments

• edited July 2017
    Glad you & trike survived!

Roots are the debil. Broke my shoulder going down an "easy" Brundage Mountain trail. Went airborne, Rockhopper landed in soft dirt, I face planted. Got up to go again, 'cept the left arm wasn't cooperating and the pain was intolerable. Pushed the bike back up the trail a quarter of a mile, going the roughage routes to avoid other riders.

All cause of a silly tree root. Did you have to hike the trike out, or was you able to ride it on out?
  • Rode it back up the hill.
  • eagleeyetv wrote: »
    So today I was riding one of my normal routes in Greensboro, NC at Guilford Battleground park. This is a paved path that also connects to a couple of other routes. I'm heading on my trip crossing a couple of streets, then down into an apartment complex, I continue towards a park on a lake and come across a trail closed sign. I knew that they were doing some work but didn't know that they were closing the trail. Then I see a detour sign. Hmm, it says hikers and mountain bikers. Well it is the All Terrain!

Now is where it gets interesting, I am 6'2' 275 LBS and I have never really been interested in Mountain biking and dodging trees and roots, and they did cut a path down through the woods. It looks easy enough and I'll take it slow, take my time and see where this detour takes me.

I proceed down the hill, it's a little soft, no big deal, the RAT is just fine. I get to a "T" intersection and now I'm on a Mt. bike trail. It's a wide path and I have already come down the hill this far, lets keep going. I go another 50 yards and come around a bend and I see a couple of roots ahead and the trail has a little right to left slope. OK, I can do this! I proceed to the roots carefully selecting my route moving in a very controlled pace. I hit the root with my right wheel, and up it goes. And I mean up it goes and over I go and I don't mean over the root! I roll over and down the hill I go. Now the trike is on top of me and I unclip from my peddles and my shoelace is caught on something, my visor on my helmet broke off saving my glasses (yay!). I manage to get my foot free and get up to see if I'm bleeding anywhere, nope, no blood! Dust myself off from the rocks and dirt. I turn the trike over to see what damage has been done, mirror is flipped around as was the computer, tail light is moved (no big deal), Damn, the front light post is broken off! So I find the light, and a bar end cap that came off. I'm done, not going any farther on this trail. Now my day is going to be 7 miles shorter today and hopefully they will not have this detour for long.

Final tally, bruise on my leg, broken visor on helmet (hopefully can be replaced without having to buy a new one), broken boom mount for light. My pride![/quote

If you're using SPD type clips the tension can be adjusted to release your shoe a little easier so it doesn't stay locked to the pedal in a roll.
  • Glad you and the trike will live to ride another day!

Here in the Florida panhandle, most of the area is military test ranges. There is a mountain bike course and my son talked me into riding it in about 2000, i was much younger then. He was on the cross country team and they ran or road it several times a week. I too ran into many of those roots and swore I would never ride that course again. I actually asked if he was trying to get me killed. I am not a dare devil and think mountain bikes should be ridden on the road.

BTW, my biggest fear is getting one wheel too close to the edge of the road and tumbling over. Where I ride, they wouldn't find me for weeks!
  • SPD clips released, my shoelace was caught on something.
  • Have you ever hit a root riding on a mountain bike?
    Be thankful you were in a trike ;)
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Broke a shoulder cause of a smurfin' root! LOL - Can laugh about it now. Was lucky it wasn't the right arm (stick shift). :D
  • Having been a life long downhill skier as well as a member of the National Ski Patrol for many years, I have a "love affair" with the benefits of release bindings on skis. The clip in feature of the "clipless" pedals reminds me of the same benefits, solidly securely attached to the pedal, but releasable when necessary. Thank God for modern technology. :-)
  • CAN relate!! Was going a a short embankment to ride on top of a canal road and didn't make it to the top, (spun out), and tried to turn and fell over. Hurt my pride big time but learned a lesson.1ef9avj7ujue.jpg
  • Those reverse turns on a hill will try to dump you every time. So far I've done it 3 times. You'd think I would learn, wouldn't you?
  • edited August 2017
    Luckily mine have been going across - and then abruptly headed downhill. Have stopped, gotten off, and physically moved the trike down/across/up & over the obstructions.
  • They don't build 3-wheel off road vehicles anymore because of the tipping hazard. Unfortunately, some people still tip them with 4 wheels.
  • Still see them all over the place. I had taken fancy to the balloon-tired 2 wheelers back in the 90's. Elk hunters used them a lot. We never had money to throw around on big person toys.