Compared to my Fat trikes and full suspension trikes I have put 1000's of miles on (MUST READ!)

Hi all. First off I need to say that my literal experience with recumbent dwarfs the likes of the "Person" who runs and does reviews on the rip off site B...L. That being said, please read on for a real experts opinion, having actually ridden the trikes listed here quite extensively over the last year or so. Not just a "Pay me to give a glowing review and make sure I keep it and sell it. I first bought an HP Velotecknick scorpion FS full suspension trike about as soon as it landed in the USA so I was one of the very first to buy one. I put the most aggressive knobbies I could find in 20" and tore it up on single track, ocean trails, fire roads and rail trails for many 1000's of miles. It performed very well but was very limited, especially by the low ground clearance. I then bought an ICE Q wit rear suspension. That was great for the road but horrible off road the suspension was too limited and it had even less ground clearance. During that time I even brutalized my new Bluevelo strada velomobile on over 2500 miles of gravel!
When the scorpion full suspension came out with the 26" rear I immediately bought one, upgraded the rear shock to a rockshock minarch RL. Rolhoff hub, sclumpf mountain drive etc. Nice trike but too low to the ground, even with the bigger rear wheel and a super heavy and sluggish ride off road.
Then came the fat trike craze. I bought BOTH the trident terrain 26 for me, the trident terrain 20 for my kid and an ICE full fat , also for me. All within a few weeks of each other. I rode the terrain 26 and the ice full fat literally both on the same day over and over and over. I took them to the beach, woods, single tracks, fire roads, even the 5 borough bike tour in NYC with the terrain 26. I love Tom Florh at trident, great guy. All due respect those trikes are basically walmart garbage albeit more comfy but cheap, cheap Chinese junk. I hate saying that but it's undeniable. Even my then 11 year old sone basically destroyed his terrain 20. Etween his terrain 20 and my terrain 26, I bought all new drivetrains from the cranks and chains to the derailures, brakes, rotors, cables, chain tubes, wheel re-building, etc. the folding mechanism was trash and didn't work, blah blah . Obvious the review in the rip'off website was a paid endorsement but that's just the opinion of every member I messaged .
The ICE full fat was a different story. It's basically an Adventure with a widened rear frame section. The suspension helped, especially on banked trails and uneven trails. I have a home in Arizona and took it for a two day tour around saguaro lake and it performed well. It's also very heavy and with the rohlhoff and schlumpf drive, set me back 8k
So who cares about all this and what does it have to do with the terratrike AT?
Ok so after owning and riding the hell out of every major player in the off road trike market (I never did get to buy the Azub fat trike), I was ready for something new again (I have owned and ridden 78 recumbent bikes, trikes and even five velomobikes since buying my tour easy in 1991)
On a whim I stopped by my local bent shop and looked at everything. I have owned seven terratrike and still have my carbon fiber "Edge". I know the brand very well and when I saw the rambler AT, I was instantly intrigued. I liked the direct drive (No idlers), high ground clearance and what turns out is the perfect size wheels for an off road trike! I figured I'd give it a try and bought it.
I have now put 689 miles on it.
It is hands down the best off road trike ever made. It's light, agile, has lots of ground clearance, a tight turning radius, moderate width track, robust frame and seat, superior comfort and the perfect gearing. Ignore the nonsense review on the rip,off site where the amateur rips it for having too high a center of gravity and being "Tippy". Not true. If you want "Tippy" buy a fat trike with 26" wheels and watch how fast you roll it over in a trench. This trike has the perfect size wheels! They are not too tall so that they flip you over when you hit a raised tree root and snap spokes in a hard sharp fast turn (Both my 26" fat trikes suffered that fate). The wheels are not too small so that they can't roll over bigger obstacles and you need higher gearing to compensate. I find them to roll as fast as the 26" wheels with the durability of the 20" wheels. A perfect size like I said! The seating position, handlebars, lower bottom bracket, etc are all perfect for hard thrashing in technical single track as well as cruising on flat hard PAC cinder.
If I had to find one fault it would be the locking brake levers. I hate them because they rattle

Comments

• Hi all. First off I need to say that my literal experience with recumbent dwarfs the likes of the "Person" who runs and does reviews on the rip off site B...L. That being said, please read on for a real experts opinion, having actually ridden the trikes listed here quite extensively over the last year or so. Not just a "Pay me to give a glowing review and make sure I keep it and sell it. I first bought an HP Velotecknick scorpion FS full suspension trike about as soon as it landed in the USA so I was one of the very first to buy one. I put the most aggressive knobbies I could find in 20" and tore it up on single track, ocean trails, fire roads and rail trails for many 1000's of miles. It performed very well but was very limited, especially by the low ground clearance. I then bought an ICE Q wit rear suspension. That was great for the road but horrible off road the suspension was too limited and it had even less ground clearance. During that time I even brutalized my new Bluevelo strada velomobile on over 2500 miles of gravel!
    When the scorpion full suspension came out with the 26" rear I immediately bought one, upgraded the rear shock to a rockshock minarch RL. Rolhoff hub, sclumpf mountain drive etc. Nice trike but too low to the ground, even with the bigger rear wheel and a super heavy and sluggish ride off road.
    Then came the fat trike craze. I bought BOTH the trident terrain 26 for me, the trident terrain 20 for my kid and an ICE full fat , also for me. All within a few weeks of each other. I rode the terrain 26 and the ice full fat literally both on the same day over and over and over. I took them to the beach, woods, single tracks, fire roads, even the 5 borough bike tour in NYC with the terrain 26. I love Tom Florh at trident, great guy. All due respect those trikes are basically walmart garbage albeit more comfy but cheap, cheap Chinese junk. I hate saying that but it's undeniable. Even my then 11 year old sone basically destroyed his terrain 20. Etween his terrain 20 and my terrain 26, I bought all new drivetrains from the cranks and chains to the derailures, brakes, rotors, cables, chain tubes, wheel re-building, etc. the folding mechanism was trash and didn't work, blah blah . Obvious the review in the rip'off website was a paid endorsement but that's just the opinion of every member I messaged .
    The ICE full fat was a different story. It's basically an Adventure with a widened rear frame section. The suspension helped, especially on banked trails and uneven trails. I have a home in Arizona and took it for a two day tour around saguaro lake and it performed well. It's also very heavy and with the rohlhoff and schlumpf drive, set me back 8k
    Ok so after owning and riding the hell out of every major player in the off road trike market (I never did get to buy the Azub fat trike), I was ready for something new again (I have owned and ridden 78 recumbent bikes, trikes and even five velomobikes since buying my tour easy in 1991)
    On a whim I stopped by my local bent shop and looked at everything. I have owned seven terratrike and still have my carbon fiber "Edge". I know the brand very well and when I saw the rambler AT, I was instantly intrigued. I liked the direct drive (No idlers), high ground clearance and what turns out is the perfect size wheels for an off road trike! I figured I'd give it a try and bought it.
    It is hands down the best off road trike ever made. It's light, agile, has lots of ground clearance, a tight turning radius, moderate width track, robust frame and seat, superior comfort and the perfect gearing. Ignore the nonsense review on the rip,off site where the amateur rips it for having too high a center of gravity and being "Tippy". Not true. If you want "Tippy" buy a fat trike with 26" wheels and watch how fast you roll it over in a trench. This trike has the perfect size wheels! They are not too tall so that they flip you over when you hit a raised tree root and snap spokes in a hard sharp fast turn (Both my 26" fat trikes suffered that fate). The wheels are not too small so that they can't roll over bigger obstacles and you need higher gearing to compensate. I find them to roll as fast as the 26" wheels with the durability of the 20" wheels. A perfect size like I said! The seating position, handlebars, lower bottom bracket, etc are all perfect for hard thrashing in technical single track as well as cruising on flat hard PAC cinder.
    If I had to find one fault it would be the locking brake levers. I hate them because they rattle

Guessing you're prone to exaggerating some. Bent rider said this regarding tipping
    " the higher seat height does mean that you have to be marginally more careful when tossing it into a corner".
  • edited August 2017
    Ok so after owning and riding the hell out of every major player in the off road trike market (I never did get to buy the Azub fat trike), I was ready for something new again (I have owned and ridden 78 recumbent bik

Did you perchance try the Greenspeed Magnum and/or Magnum XL? Am curious on how well they ride. Boise (Idaho) does have Greenspeed dealers.

Wished a Boise shop would become a TerraTrike dealer cause I'm never going back to that horrible shop in La Grande, OR again.
  • Thanks for that review. You obviously know your recumbents ;)
    This is what I've been saying all along. It's nice to hear someone with some experience confirm.
    Hi all. First off I need to say that my literal experience with recumbent dwarfs the likes of the "Person" who runs and does reviews on the rip off site B...L. .....

Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • informative regarding notice of a new trike or piece of kit, bentrider is highly biased when it comes to reviews. advertiser supported, reviews are all couched in a not to offend framework.

ever see a review of a trike that concluded 'this thing is a dog - walk away from it'? sorry tom flohr, but the jouta delta is getting donated to a local veterans in need of transportation charity. same price as the rover, not even close to terratrike quality.

tippable trike comments are examples of urban myth. aint no one strapping 200 pounds of sandbags to a seat, rigging a remote actuator to the steering, and reporting at what speed a specific trike will dump on a downhill run while executing a 30-degree turn.

same with alleged front suspension claims. no problem mounting a g-meter on the front of the latest and greatest azub and recording the jolts on a pothole infested road. then, taking same trike and replacing tires with big apples at minimum inflation and recording effect on the same route.

how does the all-terrain at minimum tire pressure compare to a cat dumont? bentrider wont measure the difference.

speaking of a dramatic form of tipping: https://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=135919

far as i know, uncle chonk is the only one who comments that an electric trike with a crankturner up front is a bad! bad!! idea. bentrider reviews dont consider such trivia.

particularly irritating was their damned by faint praise review of the rambler evo in this regard. same thing with the all-terrain - there aint another trike on the market that it can be compared to, yet another failing of biased reviewing in not focussing on its qualities.

does $1,000+ spent on front suspension of the $3,000+class of trikes give a better ride than an all-terrain at minimum tire pressure? bentrider will not disclose.

despite decided lust there for trikes with the $1,000 drivelines. none of those off-the-floors will climb a hill as good as an all-terrain but you will not be told that. nor will an opinion of most bang for the buck be ventured for fear of offending advertisers trident, kmx, sun and sites that sell those jewels.

tippable? any wheeled vehicle will tip if pushed beyond design parameters. failure to actually measure capabilities of design is another flaw in review style, opinions of that quality dubious.

not a whole lot of people interested in trike design and capabilities as this original poster. tyquad on quads, triketech on electrics, patineto on design, nmmbent on reality, david bruce on fwd are a few of the others.

in answer to an honorable lizard question about whether there is a bumper for a trike: yeah - its called a delta. too old to be using feet forward as shock absorbers, the stable is getting converted to that style frame. those barges suit my desire to limit collision damage with the 2-wheel yahoos turning blind sidewalk corners at speed in this town. better to give than receive kinda thing. another item glossed over in the reviews in addition to leg suck, stoppies, and chainring gash. never a mention of old folks trying to get out of the hard to tip butts 4 inches off the ground stuff either.

dunno that review opinions on that site bear repeating.
  • edited August 2017
    There's a seat for every ass be it high or low, rigid or suspended, fast or slow, cheap or pricey, ill handling or good. It's up to the rider to figure out their needs and reading reviews isn't necessarily the tool to make that decision. Just like cars many trike and bike riders get sold a ride way beyond their needs.
  • JamesR wrote: »
    bentrider is highly biased when it comes to reviews. advertiser supported, reviews are all couched in a not to offend framework.
    ever see a review of a trike that concluded 'this thing is a dog - walk away from it'?

Well Bryan at Bentrider knows who pays his bills for sure. But I've known him for a long time and I HAVE seen him trash a product or two - he does it politely and gives his reasons - justifiably. But for the most part he tries to stay positive more so I think just because he is also trying to further the recumbent industry, and when you are a reviewer, you are dealing with opinions that don't necessarily hold true for all.
    JamesR wrote: »
    far as i know, uncle chonk is the only one who comments that an electric trike with a crankturner up front is a bad! bad!! idea. bentrider reviews dont consider such trivia.

Thats MISTER Uncle Chonk ;)
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• It's definately the best off road recumbent trike out there, all things and factors considered from the price to the whole suspension or not debate. There is a huge underlying revolt brewing on B..L. The future of the admin there is going to be short lived if his closest colleagues have their way. He had ripped offf and cheated way too many of his subscribers and sponsors to not be ousted soon. I saw him try to squeeze into the varna at battle mountain to try to reach the 50 or 70 (Don't recall) mph mark and it was laughable. He couldn't squeeze his posterior in it and then flopped at like 30 mph. We were hysterical! Definately not a serious recumbent cyclist. More of a scam artist in most of our opinions over there.
    Besides all that, I would highly reccomend the AT to anyone who is either serious about some hardcore recumbent mountain biking or others who. Amy just want to take advantage of traffic free off road trails and bike paths. I recently did part of the Lewis and Clark trail with one of the big cyclo touring companies on my ICE full fat and plan to do the other part with my AT. Interesting to see how they compare! Stay tuned!
    By the way to the "Exaggeration " comment - own and ride the same trikes I have had for the same mileage and time and then make an informed judgement based on experience
  • It's definately the best off road recumbent trike out there, all things and factors considered from the price to the whole suspension or not debate. There is a huge underlying revolt brewing on B..L. The future of the admin there is going to be short lived if his closest colleagues have their way. He had ripped offf and cheated way too many of his subscribers and sponsors to not be ousted soon. I saw him try to squeeze into the varna at battle mountain to try to reach the 50 or 70 (Don't recall) mph mark and it was laughable. He couldn't squeeze his posterior in it and then flopped at like 30 mph. We were hysterical! Definately not a serious recumbent cyclist. More of a scam artist in most of our opinions over there.
    Besides all that, I would highly reccomend the AT to anyone who is either serious about some hardcore recumbent mountain biking or others who. Amy just want to take advantage of traffic free off road trails and bike paths. I recently did part of the Lewis and Clark trail with one of the big cyclo touring companies on my ICE full fat and plan to do the other part with my AT. Interesting to see how they compare! Stay tuned!
    By the way to the "Exaggeration " comment - own and ride the same trikes I have had for the same mileage and time and then make an informed judgement based on experience

Fine, we get it that you're an expert and have owned every trike most riders cannot afford and that you like the AT. But take your issue with a website elsewhere, I don't think we need your personal soap opera played out here.
  • TCEd wrote: »
    Hi all. First off I need to say that my literal experience with recumbent dwarfs the likes of the "Person" who runs and does reviews on the rip off site B...L. That being said, please read on for a real experts opinion, having actually ridden the trikes listed here quite extensively over the last year or so. Not just a "Pay me to give a glowing review and make sure I keep it and sell it. I first bought an HP Velotecknick scorpion FS full suspension trike about as soon as it landed in the USA so I was one of the very first to buy one. I put the most aggressive knobbies I could find in 20" and tore it up on single track, ocean trails, fire roads and rail trails for many 1000's of miles. It performed very well but was very limited, especially by the low ground clearance. I then bought an ICE Q wit rear suspension. That was great for the road but horrible off road the suspension was too limited and it had even less ground clearance. During that time I even brutalized my new Bluevelo strada velomobile on over 2500 miles of gravel!

Guessing you're prone to exaggerating some. Bent rider said this regarding tipping
    " the higher seat height does mean that you have to be marginally more careful when tossing it into a corner".

• Sorry if I tickled your "Jelli" bone. I'm giving away two of my trikes for free if you want one. Let me know if your interested and I'll ship one to you free of charge! No joke! You have to do one thing however. Let's talk. It's easy
  • I just test ride a stein trikes wild one this morning at my buddy's place here in the Midwest where I'm staying at my summer home and although it handled well and the suspension is on par with the ti-fly my brother rides, I still prefer the rambler. I have not ridden the greenspeed magnum but I still have my old greenspeed glyde velomobile and the geometry looks similar from what I can tell. My glyde is a space frame with dude stick steering and 16" front wheels but like I said the seat Angie and crank position look similar. The glyde is basically a tank and I took it on the Katy trail once when traveling between my homes and it bottomed out and was a dog off road as much as it is in the road. Perhaps my jelli follower here wants it fir fee also? I'd like to unload it
  • I just test ride a stein trikes wild one this morning at my buddy's place here in the Midwest where I'm staying at my summer home and although it handled well and the suspension is on par with the ti-fly my brother rides, I still prefer the rambler. I have not ridden the greenspeed magnum but I still have my old greenspeed glyde velomobile and the geometry looks similar from what I can tell. My glyde is a space frame with dude stick steering and 16" front wheels but like I said the seat Angie and crank position look similar. The glyde is basically a tank and I took it on the Katy trail once when traveling between my homes and it bottomed out and was a dog off road as much as it is in the road. Perhaps my jelli follower here wants it fir fee also? I'd like to unload it

I ride a Trek bicycle on single tracks i.e. Iceman, VASA, Mountain Challenge chasing my wife on her Gary Fisher, she podiums. I think there's a niche for all terrain trikes and see riders enjoying them but not for me now.
  • Sorry if I tickled your "Jelli" bone. I'm giving away two of my trikes for free if you want one. Let me know if your interested and I'll ship one to you free of charge! No joke! You have to do one thing however. Let's talk. It's easy
    Sorry if I tickled your "Jelli" bone. I'm giving away two of my trikes for free if you want one. Let me know if your interested and I'll ship one to you free of charge! No joke! You have to do one thing however. Let's talk. It's easy

You could send one my way !
  • Jeffh129 wrote: »
    Sorry if I tickled your "Jelli" bone. I'm giving away two of my trikes for free if you want one. Let me know if your interested and I'll ship one to you free of charge! No joke! You have to do one thing however. Let's talk. It's easy

You could send one my way !

I wouldn't mind one either, but think the comment was aimed at a specific person.

Since I have e-assisted eFreedom, I would have to do a lot of changing around of hardware, etc. It would be a time consuming task.

If the original comment about sending a trike IS for real, I suggest you go to y6our favorite Veterans organization and talk to them. There are a lot of Veterans that could use the extra mobility a trike would represent and the price tag is daunting to some of them. Free changes the dynamic significantly!
  • Guy was a B.S artist.
  • Actually I just donated it to my local bicycle club fir a disabled senior to enjoy! He sent me pics of of him riding it. I'm packing up my other trike and shipping it out to another person in need as well.
  • Talk is cheap.
  • I don't believe or care about anything recumbentrx says. Has owned and ridden just about every recumbent made and has houses all over the world? Right....
  • Where are the last half dozen or so posts in this thread? I know I had a lengthy reply to the narrow tires, BBSHD 1500W motor and TRP brakes. It seems to have disappeared! What gives @chonk?
  • see Rambler AT tire and wheel sizes/swaps thread
  • Dunno, I didnt delete anything.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker

• @JamesR has the right of it. Too many posts of similar vein and I got lost trying to figure out which thread was which.

Or maybe I'm suffering from old timer's.... :)
  • I have a 2017 RAT, 24" wheels front and 26 " rear, with a BionX e motor for pedal assist. I am 76 with a bad knee, so I need help on hills. I enjoy this trike much more than the Rover 8 spd. I had before.
  • Hey, I'll take that glyde velo off your hands!
  • Fixing the rattle in the locking brake levers is the easiest thing in the world. All you have to do is to stretch a tiny O-ring over each lock-button head (the lower, smaller head, on the under-side, opposite the spring.) Presto. No more rattle.