Terra Cycle Bottle Holder

I saw this long ago but couldn't afford one at the time.
http://t-cycle.com/fastback-hydration-packs-c-6/water-bottle-holders-c-6_35/adjustomatic-bottle-mount-p-239.html
But, now I'm finding that one water bottle does not make it through my ride. I also wish it were closer to me. I have to stop pedaling to reach the regular bottle holder even though I have a Hydro Flask 24 oz size.

Does anyone own one? Do you like it? Is it worth the money?

Comments

• One man on YouTube attached some
    PVC to the mount on the boom, vertically. He has his computer or fone
    on it. 6 min video. Rover I believe.
  • It looks like put his bottle rack on the pvc pipe, but on the front of that pipe.
    Further to reach. He put a gallon size
    cooler behind seat for his rides. May not need/use small holder at all. I put one on seat frame behind left shoulder
    It is not a tight fit. It came off my df. Has
    a mount to fit reg handlebars.
  • I think it was Elrique64 or JamesR earlier on this forum who suggested an improvement on the PVC accessory- filling it with something like sand, dowel rod, concrete, or the like, to give it better rigidity I believe.
  • Versa Bars here, 2 water bottles - one per side. Added the post up front, so added a Rhode Gear water bottle cage to the backside using zip ties. I use it to hold drink cups, cans, and other stuff. On the WRT trip I did have a larger water bottle there, and in the end I used up 3 water bottles in 30ish miles.

Seen someone had a photo of fancy mount that came off their luggage rack. It held 3 water bottle cages & bottles there alone, behind the rider.

¬ ITL
  • yep. nice piece of work but for me not overly handy on a rover. it mounts at the front of the boom replacing the official black plastic water bottle mount.

at the moment i have a 1-inch oak dowel rod cut a few inches shorter than front wheel width zip-tied against the two seat frame tubes for mounting a pair of blinky lights at the ends. should make for an easy reach if you were to clamp a bottle cage at the ends. with the water weight, maybe best to use stainless steel keyed hose clamps to secure dowel to the seat frame.

lotsa clamps: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bottle-cage-clamp

other options: https://hostelshoppe.com/Bike-Accessories-Hydration/
  • Have not seen versa bars the last few trips to the acc. pages.
  • I have the bottle holder described at the top of this thread and love it.
  • I was considering mounting it with straps and double sided tape on the boom closer to the seat. Where did you mount yours?
  • I was considering mounting it with straps and double sided tape on the boom closer to the seat. Where did you mount yours?

Use zip ties too.

¬ ITL
  • I already have some metal straps I was using to keep the seat in place but I'll try both. I just saw the price and am not sure I want to make that kind of investment in a test.
  • Bottles. . . ? I have a Camelback backpack. I undid the shoulder straps, ran them between the seat back mesh and buckles, reattached the shoulder straps and taped up the loose webbing. The hose, straw thingy now has a clip attached to it so when it's over my shoulder, I can clip it to my shirt so it doesn't flop around.
  • Interesting. Would like to see a photo rendition of that. I've got a Lobo just hanging around.

¬ ITL
  • Me too. Does the water stay cool? Does it taste funny?

I've never been a fan of reusing plastic I can't clean in the dishwasher. My Hydro Flask is stainless steel.
  • I saw this long ago but couldn't afford one at the time.
    http://t-cycle.com/fastback-hydration-packs-c-6/water-bottle-holders-c-6_35/adjustomatic-bottle-mount-p-239.html
    But, now I'm finding that one water bottle does not make it through my ride. I also wish it were closer to me. I have to stop pedaling to reach the regular bottle holder even though I have a Hydro Flask 24 oz size.

Does anyone own one? Do you like it? Is it worth the money?

I just got mine on Saturday, mounted it and went for a 26 mile ride on Sunday. I like having 2 bottles accessible to me. It got a little loose and wobbled a bit but it works fantastic. It's all metal and very sturdy.
  • eagleeyetv, did you mount it at the end of the boom or somewhere else?
  • Florida bound, You just gave me a wonderful idea. I too have a few Hydro-Flasks that I use for work and camping. Hydro-Flask sells a straw lid separately. Camelback sells drink hoses seperately. Let's find a way to combine these two! Find a child's backpack, mount it behind the seat, drop in a couple Hydro-Flasks (one with a home engineered lid) and you will have an icy version of a Camelback. When that one is empty, switch the lid to the other one.

As for my Camelback, it does not keep the water cold for long. I fill it with ice and water from the fridge - but when it warms up (after an hour or two depending on the temperature), it's warm. Years in the Army taught me cold is nice, but wet is more important. Keeping it clean; I fill it only with water, I have a cleaning kit for it and I replace the bite valve once or twice a year. If it gets too funky - I will get a new bladder and hose. Or I might ditch the whole thing and build a Camel-Flask!
  • webbbc, that is a great idea! I have wanted to go to a larger wider Hydro Flask but it won't fit in the bottle holder. I thought about carrying a second one in my cargo bag. But, putting two larger ones in a Camelback would work also. And, no more reaching for the bottle!

I haven't seen the straw lid for the Hydro flask but I like what I have because I could pick it up with one hand and open the lid with my teeth. A flip straw would be even better.
  • eagleeyetv, did you mount it at the end of the boom or somewhere else?

mounted it on the boom on the bottle mount screws.
  • I just checked - Amazon has straw lids for standard and wide mouth Hydro-Flasks. I have seen them at retailers where Hydro-Flasks are sold, but few and far between.
    Wal-Mart sells an aftermarket Camelback bladder that claims to keep water cold for 4 hours. You put it in the freezer overnight, pull it out, fill it up and off you go. That was $20 on the shelf if you wanna try that. I assume it would last that long in the Florida heat if the backpack used was insulated like a soft cooler or lunch bag. The Hydro-Flask straw lid was $10-ish on line and you still need to engineer a straw from the back to your mouth. . .
    I agree that the Hydro-Flask will last forever - but I saw that freezer bladder on the shelf the other night, thought of you and figured I should mention it as an "I can try this today" option.
  • edited August 2017
    Thanks for the tip on the straw lid! I was just on the Hydro Flask website and they had nothing. Dick's Sporting Goods has the bottles on sale and I was going to get another one for longer rides.

BTW, you have no idea how hard it is to find those brushes to clean out the straws. I finally found one in a set at Target. Two more would be great!
  • I used zip ties to attach the bottle cage to my seat (perpendicular to the trike). I can take a sip whenever.
  • Got my lids yesterday. If it ever stops raining, I will try one out.
  • small cell bobble wrap works great as an insulation extender as long as you have the room.