Rover For Sale on EBay

edited August 2017 in Classifieds

For $500, I'd pick it up for parts or to get my son (a pilot with a bad back) to ride it. The Rover has done wonders for my back!

No idea where it's located but I have the Alpaca Carrier and could easily pick it up.

• That looks like a really good buy. Doesn't say what kind of 2 speed crank is in the front, and it doesn't seem to have hydraulic brakes, but it does have fenders, rear rack, etc. I would grab it, if I needed a Trike. You want to maker sure the rear hub is OK, and they didn't ruin it by shifting under load or not keeping it in adjustment.
  • Patterson Transmission
  • The eBay ad says it's in Phenix City, Alabama. If I lived in Florida and owned an Alpaca. . .
  • Wow, my son may have his Christmas present! It would be kind of ironic as a 6'8" nose guard from Phenix City started his back issues. He was a 6' all area center in high school and handle the guy well. Unfortunately, the team lost badly.
  • I am amazed that someone has grabbed that up yet. $300 Crank set, rack , fenders. That is about $500 worth of add ons.... It won't be around long, you can bet on it.
  • edited August 2017
    Found out it's a 2011 model with 400 miles on it. He said he replaced it with a Catrike with an electronic motor due to health issues. He said he is the original owner but doesn't know where the serial number is. That's suspicious!

Would 6-year-old tires need to be replaced? I'm just trying to figure out how much more would have be spent on it to make it road worthy. Many of you have bought used trikes and had to spend more on them.
  • Some of the early Rovers, the serial number ( if he know's where to find it) were hard to read due to too much paint in that area. Three tires can be had for around $75. Still a fantastic bargain.
  • Serials are really filled in. I had to use a small flashlight from the side and a magnifying glass to read them. Glad because some of the letters were not what I first thought they were.
  • As with anything mechanical, you can expect to have to replace things. Time and use, both have effects on things. Price is a deal if close. Bottom line is, if it is worth it to you, go for it.
  • edited August 2017
    If his minimum set bid is low that is a deal.
  • The starting bid was $500 and someone has bid $560. The Patterson crank was an additional $300 and the other added accessories probably were another $300.

There are 7 more days until it closes. I'm going to keep watching.
  • The starting bid was $500 and someone has bid $560. The Patterson crank was an additional $300 and the other added accessories probably were another $300.

Good luck !
  • Most winning bids are in the last 5 minutes of an auction - often the last minute.
  • edited August 2017
    The starting bid was $500 and someone has bid $560. The Patterson crank was an additional $300 and the other added accessories probably were another $300.

Where did it say the Crank and accessories were extra? No big bargain if that is true.
  • No. I'm adding up the current value. Does a Patterson crank lose value? Most of those add-ons don't depreciated. I didn't even add in the computer on the front.

There are two people bidding and they've only raised the price $60. It ought to be an interesting finish!
  • @Florida_bound, If you win and need tires, let me know. I have a set of 3 factory tires off my Rambler. The original owner replaced them with Continentals right after they bought it. Good Luck!
  • that age trike, replace the rim strips and tubes - rubber rots. i use velox tape as a bottom layer, rubber rimstrip over that - too many pinch flats in the past to trust rimstrips alone.
  • Pinch flats as in snake bite flats? This usually means you have been running the tires at under-inflated pressures, not that you have rim strip issues. This type of flat usually creates 2 holes close together as the rim cuts into the tube when you hit a curb or large chuck hole, etc. See here: or here if you want to follow the Venerable Sheldon Brown's advise: (Scroll down to the types of flats)

Rim strip issues would be things like spoke tops or, sharp edges of the spoke holes cutting into the tube. This type of flat can generally be seen by a thinning of the rubber near the hole, as the sharp edges have worn the rubber out near the puncture. This type of flat is always inside the rim area of the inner tube. (For obvious reasons.) If you are careful when you remove the tube, you can even find the offending spoke hole/top and ensure you won't have issues again. (Small file or piece of emery cloth to buff the sharp edges down or tightening up the offending spoke.)

Don't misunderstand me, though. I'm not advocating to NOT replace those components. They certainly should be replaced or at least checked to ensure they are still sound. What I am saying though... Pinch flats generally have nothing to do with rim strips, unless you have a slow leak caused by some issue with the spoke holes, tops or the rim itself.

• you will find if you run minimum tire pressure and hit a good lump at speed that overnight the tube can go flat. pull the tube and there will be two very tiny holes in the tube rimside that exactly match the spoke pattern at the puncture sites. that is, if you can see the two wee tiny snakebites.

rim strips are rubber and the rubber stretches under load allowing the innertube to get nailed by the spokes lurking a hair below the nipple surface. the mountain-bouncer types use double-wall rims to keep their tubes away from that type of problem in addition to needing rims stronger than the average road bike.

rambler all-terrain has double-walls. the drill for off road is to lower tire pressure on those jewels. if they had single-walls no doubt would be some unhappy off-roaders at the end of the day or night or next morning following a bit of woods romping.

if you dont have double-walls and ride at low pressure [big apples give a crappy ride at max pressure], velox tape against the rim with rubber rim strip over that is the ounce of protection.

if you pull your rubber rim strips after getting a few miles on the trike you will notice the indentations where the tube has been forced against the spoke nipples. the older the rim strip, the deeper the inentations.

its a subtle thing. new to me delta was maybe 6 or 7 years old. hadnt riden the barge for a coupla weeks, tires a bit low, applied max pressure to all, sat down for a cup of coffee and watched the cat jump when one of the tubes let loose with a hiss. dunno how i got away with riding the trike previously - the rim strip on that wheel was ragged. velox and new rim strips applied to all three.

same thing matching tubes to tires. too small a tube, the rubber stretches and is vulnerable to those things the rim strip covers.

snakebite punctures can be hard to find. blow the tube up, feel and listen for air. nada. clever people take the tube into the bath tub and look for bubbles. nada. old hands at this stuff put tube back on trike, pump up the tire, and find it flat the next morning. if max pressure is applied, good possible the tube will rip from the puncture site and go flat immediately or within the next 30 minutes. non-patchable when the happens - its why i carry spare tubes.

ever wonder why the lbs sells velox if rimstrips are good enough? good practice when changing worn out tire to change both rimstrip and tube.

many discussions on the subject if you search. for example: › Tires, Tubes & Tire Accessories
    Rim Tape / Rim Strips. Stylish, easy to install, and durable. The ENVE rim strip protects the inner-tube from punctures and flats by covering the rim's spoke holes. ... Rim strips are important to protect the tube from the sharp edges of spoke holes.
  • Ok, the bids went up to $700 with 3 days left. I thought $500 was a little high for a 6-year-old trike. They are $500 from buying a brand new one. I'm done!
  • edited August 2017
    Could be someone boosting the bid from another account.
  • edited August 2017
    Hmm... what's this?
  • edited August 2017
    [quote author=gremlin]made you look[/quote]
  • hehe, @JamesR if you read what I posted, I didn't say NOT to use rim strips. In fact, I suggested they be checked at a minimum, and replaced if necessary. In any case, for this thread, the discussion is moot. @Florida_bound doesn't look to be going for this, given the raise in price.

Personally, given some of the extras this trike has on it, it may be worth upwards of $900-$1000, IF the frame is still sound. BUT $700 and 3 days left to go means it could go for a lot more than what a new one could sell for.
  • I'm just weighing the bids versus the price of a new one. You really don't need all those extras. I don't have most of the on my trike.
  • OMG, that trike sold for $1225. That's ridiculous!