Newbie Seeking Advice

I know--another newbie with questions! What do you consider to be essential accessories for a new triker? After the initial outlay for the Rover, I'm trying to keep expenses at a minimum. I did buy a helmet, safety flag and a water bottle, but I'm seriously considering mirrors (I'm hearing impaired and really find I'm at a loss without some visual support). A bag of some sort for carrying ID, phone, keys, etc.? Basic tools? Air pump?

Also...on my first trip out I encountered a potentially nasty pit bull roaming loose. Stare-down worked but I was definitely shaken. I need a deterrent. Halt? An air horn?

Any suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated!

Comments

• Water bottle spray to dog''s face first level of defense. Next level would be pepper spray.
  • edited August 2017
    Everyone has their own point of view on essentials. And will assume everyone rides in the daytime & evening hours.

Important:
    • Headlight & Taillight - I refer the Bontrager line-up for their warranty and light output. Everyone has their favorites. If staying safe is your main purpose, then I recommend the Ion rechargeable with irregular daytime running strobe ($98) and Flair rechargeable ($64). They do make a significant difference, and the headlight doubles as a portable flashlight.
    • At least one mirror - Mirrycle mirror stuck in the left handlebar or (better) Versa Bar
    • Quality Safety flag - Not them orange triangle things, something with varied colors and a lot of reflective qualities. ~ Would strongly suggest a SoundWinds Day/Night Flag with a free bracket (have to ask for one) mounted vertically - soundwinds.us/bike-flags/
    • Cargo Rack and Pack: Carry an air pump, spare tube, bug spray, valve tool, tire irons, patch kit of you don't use Slime (www.slime.com/us/products/bike/), lightweight battery recharger pack for USB (phone, lights), small tube of chain oil & lubricant, spare flashlight (never know).
    • Foot retention: Whether it be heel slings of SPD pedals, latter is preferred.

Recommended:
    • Versa Bars - Makes getting in and out much easier. Also gives more area to mount things & much better place to mount mirrors. (shop.terratrike.com/product-p/versa-bars.htm)
    • Seat Bag: Great for storage, hydration bladders, or places to store items. (shop.terratrike.com/Seat-Bag-p/tt600134.htm)
    • Headrest: Takes a while to get adjusted, but if you lay back get one of these. (shop.terratrike.com/Headrest-p/tt600048.htm).
    • First Aid Kit: Put in a pack or bag.
    • Cycle Computer: Unless you prefer a smartphone app like Strava or CycleDroid.
    • AirZound: Dog and car determinant. (www.ebay.com/itm/like/391189032871?chn=ps&dispItem=1)

You probably won't upgrade with everything, or anything, real fast. It's been nearly a year for me getting this far and upgraded the tires too. Speaking of which, get your wheels checked for proper alignment first off. That may save you money down the road.

Past that it's more of finding what suits your wants and needs. Consider joining TerraTrike Owners group if you do facebook. Way more helpful people there, and of much more variety. (www.facebook.com/groups/terratrikeowners/)

Enjoy the riding! :)
  • I always recommend fenders. Not so much for the wet weather rides but to keep trail debris from hitting the underside of my arms while riding. They require a little bit of skill to install so I say to get them when you purchase the trike and let the dealer install them.

My second is upgrade to Schwalbe Marathon tires. They are a high pressure tire that makes the trike roll sooooo much smoother.
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • Regarding the dog, I used to ride a route past a particular house that frequently had an ankle biter come after me.

I thought about the "hard" response until a friend suggested a better fix.

A hot dog in my jersey.

After tossing that critter a hot dog a few times, instead of him/her (I didn't look at the time), wanting to chew my leg off, the gnashing of teeth turned to a wagging tail.

Even when I stopped being Frankfurter Fred, he never again went after me.
  • If you wear your hearing aids while triking, I suggest "Cat Ears". They attach to your helmet straps and block the wind, reducing the noise. Various versions for various hearing aids so email or call them for details. I've used the same ones for nearly two years with a rinsing occasionally to remove the sweat salt buildup.
  • I'm going to suggest having a water bottle and helmet are a good start. Next add a flag and white and red lights.

How mechanical are you ? Can you fix a flat on a trail ? If so buy a patch kit and basic tools and pump.
    The rest is dependent somewhat on how far, how frequent and where you ride.
    Ease into the equipment as you experience your rides.

You could easily spend an additional $1000 on stuff once you start buying things like computers or GPS, other tires, fenders, racks, bags, gearsets and on and on so take everything you read as advice but not necessity.

Worse case take $20, a cell phone and I'D. on your rides. Call someone to get you or pay someone $20 to get you home or back to your car. The I'd is for the cops.

• Halt is the best thing for dogs. Post office has been using it for decades. I have had to use it twice in over 40 years, and it worked perfectly both times.
  • chonk wrote: »
    I always recommend fenders. Not so much for the wet weather rides but to keep trail debris from hitting the underside of my arms while riding. They require a little bit of skill to install so I say to get them when you purchase the trike and let the dealer install them.

My second is upgrade to Schwalbe Marathon tires. They are a high pressure tire that makes the trike roll sooooo much smoother.

So when will fenders be available for the 24" Rambler AT?
  • edited August 2017
    I know--another newbie with questions! What do you consider to be essential accessories for a new triker? After the initial outlay for the Rover, I'm trying to keep expenses at a minimum. I did buy a helmet, safety flag and a water bottle, but I'm seriously considering mirrors (I'm hearing impaired and really find I'm at a loss without some visual support). A bag of some sort for carrying ID, phone, keys, etc.? Basic tools? Air pump?

Also...on my first trip out I encountered a potentially nasty pit bull roaming loose. Stare-down worked but I was definitely shaken. I need a deterrent. Halt? An air horn?

Any suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated!

I bought exactly what you listed. If you riding on roads, I suggest two mirrors. It's good to see on both sides behind you. And mace is good protection as is a horn of some type.

One of Terra Trikes new teardrop flags is pretty awesome, also.

Take an ID and your insurance card just in case there is an accident.
  • mjrodney wrote: »
    Regarding the dog, I used to ride a route past a particular house that frequently had an ankle biter come after me.

A hot dog in my jersey.

After tossing that critter a hot dog a few times, instead of him/her (I didn't look at the time), wanting to chew my leg off, the gnashing of teeth turned to a wagging tail.

There are so many things I could say but, because I'm new, I'll hold my tongue ;-)
  • edited August 2017
    Was out riding, and I play music with smartphone & a JBL Flip 3. This lil squirt came to harass me, and I only used quick bleeps from the Airzound - not the dreaded full blast.
  • 2 mirrors $40 http://shop.terratrike.com/Rear-View-Mirror-Mirrycle-p/tt600105.htm
    bell $12 http://www.utahtrikes.com/PROD-11619403.html
    tool kit $23 http://www.utahtrikes.com/PROD-195.html
    tire pump $13 http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/mini-tire-pump.html
    quikstik http://shop.terratrike.com/QuikStik-p/tt600078.htm
    pouch $20 http://shop.terratrike.com/product-p/tt600342.htm

you can probably find all this stuff cheaper at amazon.com

terratrike store, utah trikes, hostel shoppe will give you a pretty good overview of general trike add-ons.

dogs understand a stick. velcro a few feet of 1-inch oak dowel to the side of the seat.
  • mjrodney wrote: »
    Regarding the dog, I used to ride a route past a particular house that frequently had an ankle biter come after me.

A hot dog in my jersey.

There are so many things I could say but, because I'm new, I'll hold my tongue ;-)

I'm with you. A couple of very aggressive dogs I have encountered over the years, the hot dog would be the dog's desert. :/
  • At the huge risk of being laffed at by some Number 1 item to buy is a helmet!! {MY opinion}. Then mirror, safety flag, spare tube, plastic tire irons, air pump or inflater with several CO2 cartridges. A dollar bill that can be used as a "boot" in case of a torn tire. A water bottle cage and bottle or a Camelback, strapped to the back of the seat.

You could get a TT Seat Bag and put all your "stuff' in there also.

If you aren't familiar with fixing /working on a trike at least learn to fix a flat, as you will have one one day; depends where you live. I "goat Head Country" you will have a flat. You can use slimmed tube or put slime in your tubes and then I suggest "Mr. Tuffy": a tire liner. Or go tubeless with sealant inside the tire.

Read online and watch You Tube videos to learn to perform minor repairs, adjust the chain, gears, lube the chain, etc.

Wish you lived close by I'd tell you to bring it over and I'd teach you how to work on it. Best wishes and fun, safe triking!! :)
  • Yes HELMET first
    No word on the 24" AT Fenders yet
    Jeff "Chonk" Yonker
    Marketing Dude @TerraTrike

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky
  • My very first ride - thunk, thunk, thunk against the back of my head.

3 chunks of dog poo the rear wheel flung at my head.

FENDERS. (But also helmet)
  • Want to get a short rack, but curious about fenders. It would make the trike look more beast, but doesn't the fenders lead to more aerodynamic drag? Noticed with the newer motorcycle flags that those added to the drag BIG TIME.

I'm a big guy, have Marathon Plus tires. Have yet to be bothered by any wetness. And as hot as it has been (and to be again) it is refreshing. Road debris? Not noticed any yet. Doggy land mines, no issues here. Road apples left by horses, and cow patties, now that is different story but not so much.

Wished was a volume discount for item purchases. Newer mesh seat, Front fenders for the cool factor, and considering the BB7 brake upgrade.
    Need to lose a lot more weight before getting additional bags. And Mr Chonk teasing us with e-assist upgrades now ... !

If had something I made that was interesting... could probably offer a trade in trades for a discount maybe. Like that guy who makes Prickly Pear jam! Sadly I have nothing to offer 'cept maybe a barely used concert ukulele. Didgeridoo are way easier to play. ;)
  • think its marvey someone would ride a trike in a dog park to keep their pooch company. considering what could collect under the fender, maybe wearing a shower cap would be better than a helmet?
  • Put a rack on da back, with a bag of sorts and that should save the back of your head. My rack for an upright seems l-o-n-g-e-r than my wife's TT so I put a pannier back there. Stopped everything so far. Forearms catch things though. Heading to Mackinac
    soon and have to swerve to miss the horse fudge in da roads. :*
  • edited August 2017
    JamesR wrote: »
    think its marvey someone would ride a trike in a dog park to keep their pooch company. considering what could collect under the fender, maybe wearing a shower cap would be better than a helmet?

LOL - ROTFLMAO
  • don't think aerodynamic drag is an issue with a Rover.
  • Don't fenders plug up with snow though?
  • null
    Snow and possibly mud